Rayman 4 (Phoenix Studio)

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
OCG
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9905

Re: Unseen64 to detail new revelations about Rayman 4!

Post by OCG »

@Rayfist
What is bothering me how they say that they can't make it public because of legal reasons yet they are profiting off the video on Patreon. To me, it seems worse to profit off video containing sensitive information and it would make more sense that Ubisoft takes legal action because they got money thanks to info about their IP than if they just said info without asking any money and possibly let Ubisoft monetize it.
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
SpyroGuy
Céloche
Tings: 7416

Post by SpyroGuy »

OCG wrote:@Rayfist
What is bothering me how they say that they can't make it public because of legal reasons yet they are profiting off the video on Patreon.
Waitwaitwait, they really said that? Will they ever release it then to the public or anyone other than the supporters?
This just keeps getting better and better.
OCG
Le Capitaine

Post by OCG »

According to FB post they made, they said it is for now Patreon only due to legal reasons but that makes 0 sense to me.

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
SpyroGuy
Céloche

Post by SpyroGuy »

OCG wrote:According to FB post they made, they said it is for now Patreon only due to legal reasons but that makes 0 sense to me.
You're absolutely right. Allow me to translate it.

"Hey, we're having some interesting information that we've found about a project that we have ZERO legal connection with so we're gonna go ebay for now and sell the info only for those who are willing to pay for it. Also just in case if someone asks about the sensibility of this state, we're gonna answer that it's not legally possible to share this information even though that we are selling it."

It's totally like your case of buying the R3 Press Kit back then. Giving money for information/stuff to the current owner of said information. Just like on ebay.

The true question is:
Is the Rayman 4 video done already? If so, then one of us (or everyone interested in it) should pay the effing 1 dollar/month subscription fee and gain access to it.

I'm getting slightly annoyed by this situation because after a decade of almost nothing (talking about infos here) we're THIS CLOSE to know more about Rayman 4, yet it all gets delayed because of some BS reasoning like this.

Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61820

Post by Droolie »

SpyroGuy wrote:The true question is:
Is the Rayman 4 video done already? If so, then one of us (or everyone interested in it) should pay the effing 1 dollar/month subscription fee and gain access to it.
I know for sure that an image and unknown info is already available on Patreon. Perhaps this includes a draft version of the video. When the video's done it will likely be published on Youtube.
It's available in this post: https://www.patreon.com/posts/2831269
The subscription is $5 a month for draft articles and $10 a month for draft videos, so it's not as cheap as you may think. If you want to pay for it, go ahead.

Without paying for the Patreon subscription, this is the information I was able to gather:
Thumbnail image:
The first line of the article reveals that it is about the Phoenix Interactive version of Rayman 4:
Here is the first ever image of the Rayman 4 prototype, which was in development at Phoenix Interactive Entertainment. You can learn more about this interest...
SpyroGuy
Céloche

Post by SpyroGuy »

It's most likely a video then and as the creator stated it before, it won't be available to non-supporters for some time (who knows how long).
It also looks like that this stuff contains new information which was not seen before.
If it IS possible to cancel this thing after paying 10$ for a single month, I might consider trying it because I really am curious.

UPDATE: Alright, I paid 10$ for it, so I was able to gain access to the page.
It shows nothing but this image in full size, also the complete version of the aforementioned text is:

"Here is the first ever image of the Rayman 4 prototype, which was in development at Phoenix Interactive Entertainment. You can learn more about this interesting project in Unseen64 podcast episode 8!"

As a supporter I've gained access to this podcast episode as well which was already released and contains 20 minutes of presumably talking about Rayman 4 to which I'm looking forward to. I'll be sure to write down any notable infos I find because paying 10 dollars for a Dropbox link....no comment. I know that no one forced me to do this, but still...sheesh.

Also, here is the full size version of that image you posted.

Last edited by SpyroGuy on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCG
Le Capitaine

Post by OCG »

The thumbnail makes me curious a lot.

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
Bionichute
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 12145

Post by Bionichute »

When you follow a bunch of video reviewers that use Patreon, you understand the need for it.
OCG
Le Capitaine

Post by OCG »

@SpyroGuy
Can you download the entire podcast and share it here?

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
Eeeebray
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9120

Post by Eeeebray »

I am really excited of it. Finally some secrets of Rayman 4 will be revealed!
But I will not pay 10$ each month, just to watch one video. I hope they will share it for everyone online, because that would be unfair for those who need every cent.

But what is this purplish looking creature?
SpyroGuy
Céloche

Post by SpyroGuy »

The 20 minutes of R4 talk in a nutshell.

- Rayman 4 was RRR's original name, BUT this project was only one of two separate ones as in 2005 Ubisoft Montpellier was busy making the King Kong game, that's why they weren't making R4 at that time and another Rayman 4 project was being made by Phoenix Interactive Entertainment.
- According to the story explained (the guy has a hard time putting it to words) Rayman was supposed to be in some kind of video game hero training camp where he could interact with video game heroes from other Ubisoft games such as the Prince and Jade (what?) and these characters are being controlled by actual people in the real world which also affects their personality (what?!). They are using Wreck It Ralph and Inside-Out as movie examples for the story description.
- The guy knows more about the supposed story of R4 which is not revealed in the podcast, but he plans to reveal it in the "nearish future".
- Dark Rayman was meant to be the main antagonist of the game, Mr. Dark wasn't meant to appear "in person" as he would have been portrayed "as a glitch, a corrupt part of the game" bent on taking revenge upon the video game heroes.
- The game was intended to be a reboot/retelling of Rayman, using reimagined versions of levels from the first two games, mainly the first one since it was in 2D.
- The gameplay was meant to designed to be kind of like Rayman 3: Not too hard to finish the game itself.
- PS2, PC, Xbox and GC were the target platforms. In 2005. This fact may had been one of the reasons why it was cancelled at the dawn of the 360/PS3 era.
- The game is referred to as "Rayman Generations", not as an exact title, but as a game which could have been somewhat similar to Sonic Generations.
- Ubisoft got scared after Nintendo revealed the Wii, they were unsure about whether they should or shouldn't develop this game for it, or to hardware they were more familiar with, but was becoming outdated.
- After the King Kong game was finished, Ubi received one of the first Wii dev kits while Phoenix's Rayman 4 was still in development. Development of RRR began around this time. Ubi cancelled Phoenix's R4 project which hit them hard, because this was their biggest contract and project to date (back then of course). There was also another project which they did for Ubi, that was cancelled as well which ultimately lead to their financial demise.
- There IS a working prototype of Rayman 4. It is very barebones, but it is working. The guy is planning to release an actual gameplay video of this prototype "pretty soon".
- Concept arts of Rayman, Dark Rayman and some transformations are mentioned.
- Michel's video where he's attacked by the Rabbids is mentioned as well.
- Zombie U was meant to be a Rabbids game in which Rayman was fighting extremely violent Rabbids in London (what?). Basically Rabbids instead of zombies and Rayman being the protagonist. Rayman blowing Rabbid heads off is mentioned, which Ubi found way too violent (what a surprise).

I double checked the last thing and to my surprise IT'S TRUE! Wtf?! xD
http://nintendoeverything.com/a-look-at ... as-zombiu/

That's all for now. :)
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

SpyroGuy wrote:- According to the story explained (the guy has a hard time putting it to words) Rayman was supposed to be in some kind of video game hero training camp where he could interact with video game heroes from other Ubisoft games such as the Prince and Jade (what?) and these characters are being controlled by actual people in the real world which also affects their personality (what?!). They are using Wreck It Ralph and Inside-Out as movie examples for the story description.
- Dark Rayman was meant to be the main antagonist of the game, Mr. Dark wasn't meant to appear "in person" as he would have been portrayed "as a glitch, a corrupt part of the game" bent on taking revenge upon the video game heroes.
They were going to do Big Boss Virus? This is actually really faithful to the original plans for the first game.
Cairnie
Murfy
Tings: 85030

Post by Cairnie »

I actually knew about ZombiU being about mutant rabbid monsters and that it was gonna be called Killer Freaks from Outer Space but didn't know it actually involved Rayman in some way.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff
GOT4N
Photographe
Tings: 400

Post by GOT4N »

Nice! :)
SpyroGuy
Céloche

Post by SpyroGuy »

The other interesting thing is that I wasn't actually charged by 10$ now.
That either means that I'll be charged automatically at the beginning of the next month or at the moment when I cancel the thing.
Either way, I'm going to leave it to be until the last days of July just in case that something gets revealed until then, but to ensure that I WON'T get charged by another 10$ for the next month as well.

As of the infos I posted earlier, that is all that was related to R4 in that 20 minute part of the much longer broadcast and at the moment there's nothing else other than that single picture I've already shared.
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

Would you mind just uploading the podcast MP3? I'd be interested in hearing it for myself.
SpyroGuy
Céloche

Post by SpyroGuy »

Sure! Here it is.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibirxa5w7b4vy ... 8.m4a?dl=0

The discussion about Rayman 4 starts at 40:49 and ends right after reaching the 1 hour mark.
Bionichute
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 12145

Post by Bionichute »

Wow that sounds... really weird. But really cool! Really upset that this game didn't come out.
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

Thanks. You did make a couple of mistakes in your recap though - it's Dark Rayman who was going to be portrayed as a glitch in the game, not Mr Dark, and they guy doesn't actually say Rayman was ever going to be in the ZombiU Rabbids game (he just refers to them as "Rayman Rabbids").
GNineify
Bégoniax
Tings: 38675

Post by GNineify »

You have no idea how excited I am to know more about Rayman 4. Such a shame it was cancelled, because the concept art for the levels looked dang beautiful.
SpyroGuy wrote:- Concept arts of Rayman, Dark Rayman and some transformations are mentioned.
Hmm, I do remember the transformation concepts that were discovered, but I don't think we've seen any of Rayman / Dark Rayman. I would go check out the concept art that RayWiki had, but I can't access the wiki for some reason...

Also, some of those ideas totally scream "Wreck It Rayman".
"uckfay isthay itshay iyay'may outyay" - ales mansay probably
YOU'VE FOUND THE ULTRA AMAZING EASTER EGG THAT DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO MAKE YOUR LIFE BETTER!