Rayman 4 (Phoenix Studio)

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Teensie&Stenopelix
Lums Jaune
Tings: 160

Re: Unseen64 to detail new revelations about Rayman 4!

Post by Teensie&Stenopelix »

But it really is a giant 'phewww' for me that origins isin't a reboot in any way, knew that since when but its the little fleeting info that counts :).

And yea, not long after hearing about the finer details of the would-have-been Rayman 4, my grin slowly straightned... While it would have loved to explore that sand castle beach, 3d picture city, candy Lt., etc... the fact that was meant to be a reboot of sorts was, wellp, not the greatest plan. Especially the fact that Ray was gunna be part of some video game character camp, just, well Ray dodged a maaaajor bullet there, Rayman 3 was pretty self-referential, meta, in some cutscenes & dialouge, but this was gunna take that and multiply it by orders of magnitudes. Another thing that somewhat bothered me was that Mr. Dark was instead this 'virus/glitch' in this, to fit in whatever 4-wall-breaking tone this was supposed to have had.
DandyGuy
Ptizêtre Ermite
Tings: 1772

Post by DandyGuy »

Oh god how did I miss this topic. :tssk:
Anyways, upon seeing this image, Image
Well never get a Rayman game like this. :(
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

But we are getting a Rayman theme park ride in Ubisoft's park they're developing.
DandyGuy
Ptizêtre Ermite
Tings: 1772

Post by DandyGuy »

I thought that was just for Assassins Creed and Raving Rabbids?
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

Teensie&Stenopelix wrote:Another thing that somewhat bothered me was that Mr. Dark was instead this 'virus/glitch' in this, to fit in whatever 4-wall-breaking tone this was supposed to have had.
Dark Rayman was going to be the virus/glitch. Mr Dark was never involved, Spyroguy just mixed them up.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I second Spiral's comment.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone
Tings: 67030

Post by Shrooblord »

I just saw this video. Hearing its story is rather depressing, actually. Makes me really wish the game had been made. But it's been so long since its inception - like, half my lifespan lol - that I can't really feel that bad about it. You know, we've moved on since then. But still. Man what a bummer. Phoenix seemed like it had such great plans.
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~! (Or here.)
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
lillytheteensie
Lums Rouge
Tings: 65

Post by lillytheteensie »

i would love a rayman4 tho rayman legends is rayman 4
gastorus glutes i cant remember where i parked
-globox 2018
WizardMinecraft
Électoon
Tings: 7

Post by WizardMinecraft »

That's if you want to use major title terms but wouldn't rayman origins be rayman 4 if we use said major title terms and rayman legends would be rayman 5?
Lil_DRE
Pti-lote
Tings: 2845

Post by Lil_DRE »

What I know, is that Rayman origins is not part of the original Saga (from rayman 1 to 3) since it occurs in a kind of alternate timeline, so it would not come to be nicknamed as a "Rayman 4"
-You probably want to know where I got that picture of Barbara :shock:
-You probably want to know what the Synthwave has to do with Barbara :confus:
-You probably want to stop reading this :fou:
WizardMinecraft
Électoon

Try searching "Rayman Origins main installment". you're going to see this line a lot. "The first main installment after rayman raving rabbids"
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

While it's not stated outright, there are callbacks and mentions to events from Rayman 1, and Bubble Dreamer is known to be Polokus, which means it has to take place after Rayman 2, since he's awake.

That's not to say that the lore is consistent, god knows that isn't the case. And I do like the split timeline idea, but I don't believe it to be canon, however insignificant it seems to be for the Rayman series.
WizardMinecraft
Électoon

but wait doesn't Rayman Legends follow the same timeline as Origins? most of the sprites Rayman, globox and the 2 teensies you can play as right at the gecko (goth teensie and grand minimus) look like they were improved versions of those in Origins.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Yes, it certainly does follow the same timeline. No way could RL be R4.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

WizardMinecraft wrote:right at the gecko
:boon:
Lil_DRE
Pti-lote
Tings: 2845

Post by Lil_DRE »

Hopefully Michel will give us answers in a possible near future (Maybe in the middle of this year) :|
-You probably want to know where I got that picture of Barbara :shock:
-You probably want to know what the Synthwave has to do with Barbara :confus:
-You probably want to stop reading this :fou:
Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

By the way, if we're on the topic of Rayman 4 again, does anybody know if that prototype still exists?
Because I don't know if this was pointed out already, but in this screen cap it can be seen that the game was likely running on Windows 8 due to it being taken when the game was running on windowed mode, which means that it still existed around 2012.

So again, does this mean the prototype still exists?
Do we know who Unseen64 contacted in order to get these screenshots?
Was it an EX Phoenix Interactive developer? Ubisoft?
Could he/they still provide us with the prototype?
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Yes, it most likely still exists, just like a lot of other Rayman prototypes that we've never even heard of. People don't just delete the things they work on.
No, we don't know who Unseen64 contacted AFAIK, and asking the developers nicely won't get them to just give us the prototype.

Speaking of Rayman 4, I just checked Ancel's instagram and started reading some of the comments, including these:
jesus.s__: When are you guys releasing R4
michelancel: @jesus.s__ after wild and bge2

ferferi1368: Another rayman please
michelancel: @ferferi1368 Let me finish the current two games and yes !
Source

Looks like he wants to go back to Rayman after BG&E2, and wants to do so with a "Rayman 4". Gotta appreciate how much he replies to people's comments though, even if so many are asking for a new Rayman. And I mean, just look at him casually talking with people about how he didn't really like the new Star Wars (I kinda agree). Times really have changed -- it's so different from how it used to be when fans couldn't talk to devs at all.
Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

Drolpiraat wrote: No, asking the developers nicely won't get them to give us the prototype.
Why not? Did we even attempt to do it?
Ancel posted the prototype ROM of Snes Rayman 1 after enough people asked him to do it, so why would the Rayman 4 devs disagree to it?
They wouldn't have given so much info to Unseen64 in the first place if they didn't want people to at least see what the game was about.
Drolpiraat wrote: Speaking of Rayman 4, I just checked Ancel's instagram and started reading some of the comments, including these:
jesus.s__: When are you guys releasing R4
michelancel: @jesus.s__ after wild and bge2

ferferi1368: Another rayman please
michelancel: @ferferi1368 Let me finish the current two games and yes !
Source
That's great to hear, altough I'm pretty sure he already commented on this topic.
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Greeness wrote:Why not? Did we even attempt to do it?
Ancel posted the prototype ROM of Snes Rayman 1 after enough people asked him to do it, so why would the Rayman 4 devs disagree to it?
They wouldn't have given so much info to Unseen64 in the first place if they didn't want people to at least see what the game was about.
The info in the Unseen64 video came from an anonymous ex-Phoenix developer (all info is from their point of view) -- anonymous obviously because they don't want their name to be known. The fact that the prototype was not shared online along with the video means that person did not allow it, because we both know Unseen64 would have jumped at the chance to share the whole thing rather than one or two screenshots. I assume it's largely because contract terms simply don't allow them to share anything and the person who did already took a huge risk for his career sharing that stuff anonymously with Unseen64. It's also likely that not everyone who worked on it wanted it to be shared... it might not even have been in a stable enough state to be shared at all.

Those are all obstacles that don't apply to Rayman 1 for SNES. It was being developed by like 2 people IIRC, both of whom agreed to the ROM being posted online. I imagine that Ancel received permission from Ubisoft to share it online as well, and they treat it as some sort of relic from the past rather than something that's damaging for the brand.
However, you won't see Ancel sharing RRR' prototype, because far more people worked on this game and he seems to want to reuse some ideas from it in later titles. It was likely extremely buggy as well, judging by all the bugs in the stuff from the prototype that did make it into the final game.

Anyway, about Phoenix's Rayman 4, I think it's also the prototype I'm just the least interested in out of all unseen Rayman things in existence. The video convinced me that I don't even want to see their take on Rayman, because I don'tlike most of their ideas. They wanted to reboot the series while R3 had just come out and had been very successful, and their ideas for the reboot did not use any unique aspects from Rayman at all -- it could easily have been executed with a completely new IP.
Additionally, since the focus in the story was on the player's connection with a game character, rather than on Rayman and his world, I think the game's story would have received a similar backlash as when the focus shifted to the Rabbids rather than Rayman. At least Rabbids ended up being successful.
Greeness wrote:That's great to hear, altough I'm pretty sure he already commented on this topic.
He has indeed, but this time it's more explicit. Rather than "we'll need to bring him back again" he is outright saying that a Rayman 4 will release sometime after BG&E2 and WiLD. It sounds a little less like an idea and more like something that's actually going to happen. The fact that he's so confident about it, and that he keeps calling it Rayman 4, might indicate that a project is in early planning stages already...
Last edited by Droolie on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.