Rayman Adventures

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
sergiomonty
Antitoon
Tings: 10

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by sergiomonty »

Hunchman801 wrote: So your problem has nothing to do with racism or stereotypes, you're just against pop culture in Rayman.
:boon:

You know what. Let's kill this here. It's no use. Let's be diplomatic and just agree to disagree on our perceptions of the Swordsmen.

Oh.

Funny thing, I forgot this was a smilie on this forum: :chinois:

That's hilarious.

Changing the topic.... the Wild WIld East has a very poor amount of levels. Played it three times and the levels are already repeating :|
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

You're not very good with arguments, are you?
sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty »

THE LEVELS ARE REPEATING, I SAID.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Bradandez wrote:You're not very good with arguments, are you?
I have to agree here, none of my factual points has been addressed and now we're ending the debate. Though maybe that's for the better.

I've also noticed that if Wild Wild East represents medieval Eastern Asia, Medieval Mayhem then certainly represents medieval Europe. And, if the main enemies of the former represent its people, then the disgusting and dumb Lividstones represent Europeans. I feel deeply offended now. :(
sergiomonty wrote:Changing the topic.... the Wild WIld East has a very poor amount of levels. Played it three times and the levels are already repeating :|
They said twenty new levels, though I'm not sure how many are actually in Wild Wild East. They're great levels though, so I'm not too bothered.

I also find it quite interesting how they've introduced surprise eggs and gotten rid of duplicate creatures. I used new creature elixirs all the time anyway so it doesn't change much for me.
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer

Post by Bradandez »

I always thought Lividstones were crude caricatures of the French, what with the pointy long mustaches and the fact that they don't have good hygiene.
(Also who says medieval Asia?)

The new 20 levels aren't all included in Wild, Wild East. There were some new levels added to Medieval Mayhem and Toad Story.
sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty »

Hunchman801 wrote:I have to agree here, none of my factual points has been addressed and now we're ending the debate. Though maybe that's for the better.
Oh, the classic internet "Yeah, we should stop this discussion...... I won, but let's end the discussion".
Amazing bait, I guess I'll take a bite. I really didn't want to go deep into this because it literally takes an entire day to get 1 or 2 responses regarding this "racism" topic, and there are many more things I want to talk about in Rayman Adventures. If there was a way to chat with you or keep things in a fast pace, it would be easier for us to get into an agreement.

First thing to note: Only some of your points where factual, and I didn't address them because they were right. I'm not gonna defend a wrong stance, even if it's mine. I know that's part of human arrogance, looking like fucking assholes because what they say first should be the definitive thing, but I prefer to mold my opinion into something that I feel is right. That's why I gave you the reason when you said that the word I was looking for wasn't racism, but stereotype instead.

But things departed into what should be considered opinions, and that's where I wanted things to stop. You where like

"I see nothing wrong here"

And well, I agree with you. In fact, I've always agreed with you. I don't believe people at Ubiart ever wanted to make a rude depiction of the japanese. They did it because old cartoons depicted the japanese like that and I'm sure they wanted to keep that "Classic" feel. I don't mind black people with big lips/afros in cartoons, chinese people with closed eyes, and it kinda pisses me off that current media wants to take cartoons and pretend like there's no alcohol or cigarettes in real life. Heck, I don't find this racist, and in the beginning of the discussion I made my point clear: I'm not a social justice warrior. I never felt offended or triggered by this, but if you read carefully my first post, I never said "these enemies are racist", I asked if anyone in this forum felt they were a little bit racist to them, and naturally, some people agreed with me.

What actually worries me a lot (and it seems you're not looking at the bigger picture) is that if Rayman Adventures was more popular (Because according to the survey they made, it seems like the game is a total failure), You'd see ton of articles talking shit about how insensitive the artists of this game are. I wouldn't want my Rayman to get into controversial waters, because the franchise is already dying. Heck, Nintendo had to change the hand in Mario Maker to avoid bad press. Now you'd say "Everyone in 2016 wants to be offended by something" but in the world of Rayman that can be easily avoided because they could get as far of humanity as they wanted. Rayman is fantasy, Rayman is surreal. Robots are Robots, Toads are Toads, Birds are Birds, and I felt it was completely ignorant to state that the Mariachis were racist, because unlike the Swordsmen, Mariachis are an actual depiction of how mexicans express themselves in their art:

Another detail is that Rayman's Mariachis don't wear sombreros or have the classic macho moustache. They have the exact same moustache that Hunter has, and a top hat, making them look more like members of a funerary house.

I think there's still no problem if the enemies were still Ninjas or shoguns in Rayman Adventures. Because that's still part of their culture. Heck, I would be incredibly impressed if they went for something like this:
But instead, I see they didn't do artistic research, and ignorantly decided to go for this:

And stapled Bruce Lee to the formula, which in reality is the only thing that pisses me off because I don't want forced pop culture in Rayman games

Yeah, that's the second thing to note, I don't hate these enemies because they're supposedly racist, I hate them because they're just there for a pop culture joke. I was kinda mad already when Ubisoft used 20000 lums under the sea to quietly advertise Splinter Cell. But at least they sort of blend well with the spy theme, so I can get through it.

But they chose the gorgeous ancient china to make enemies that wear the stripes that Bruce Lee pioneered.

And that later turned into the signature image of Kill Bill

That's too much for me. I find it distracting and kind of unoriginal. I don't feel confortable with Rayman parodying stuff that strongly. And that's my only concern. Sorry for booning ( :boon: ) at you Hunch, it's just that it kind of pissed me off that you would only notice that at this point of the discussion when I strongly suggested many times that that was my only personal concern. You seriously were thinking that I was personaly racist-shaming Rayman, when I actually wanted to protect the series from that, and that seriously made me want to stop the discussion and say "eh. opinions". I also wanted to express how underwhelmed I felt with the amount of levels since the last two days, but I couldn't because this discussion was on the way for the entire week. I was tired. Sometimes I leave discussions and let things die because I'm not interested in it anymore. That's how I roll.
Hunchman801 wrote:Medieval Mayhem then certainly represents medieval Europe. And, if the main enemies of the former represent its people, then the disgusting and dumb Lividstones represent Europeans. I feel deeply offended now. :(
If the world represents medieval Europe, the Lividstones wouldn't represent Europeans, but medieval europeans instead, you dummy. :wink: As you might have noticed, the Lividstones no longer have moustaches in Rayman Legends, and they lack of higiene in this game can be easily associated to the Black Death, one of the strongest and most devastating pandemics in history, and mostly represented in the medieval era. The appearance of rats in the game strongly suggests this situation. In Rayman Origins, their lack of higiene seems to be more related by the fact that, you know, they're zombies now, since they needed to be associated to the livid dead in some way.
Eren
El Stomacho
Tings: 24258

Post by Eren »

So.. I finally got a new Samsung Galaxy J5 and I was pretty happy to see that Rayman Adventures was available, I immediately downloaded it and boy, I must admit, this is a pretty fun game! The first time it was announced I thought it was going to be boring as hell but it's actually very fun to play, right now I'm at adventure 8 and I'm liking it.
SIG UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Image Image
Steam Profile Youtube Account
Sabertooth
Magicien
Tings: 53365

Post by Sabertooth »

Am I just bad at this game or are most of the WWE levels incomplete as far as Lum counts go? Many times I've searched a level back-and-forth multiple times and could only find enough cages/enemies for the second reward.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer

Post by Bradandez »

You're really bad. I've played the levels a fair number of times and there's only been one level that requires the creatures (excluding the Lum levels) in order to fill the counter.
sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty »

For those who have completed the game (again) check the newest area at the top of the Sacred Tree (The area that comes after the cyclops playing the harp). There's a flying polygonal rock in the sky.

It's actually a reference to another Ubisoft game, Grow Home!
incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

Okay, now Sergio, just gave me an headache, and I just re-readed the doom comic, so I have my massive dose of brain damage for today.
I can't believe we have such a conversation about a so pointless thing, Ubisoft made the choice to make a more humorous version of the Chinese world, deal with it, if you're so offended, you have the choice to not play the gAme, it is like you said, pop culture, this starts to remind me of the ban of Weenie the Pooh of Poland.
Raymanni
Carnivora
Tings: 12835

Post by Raymanni »

sergiomonty wrote:For those who have completed the game (again) check the newest area at the top of the Sacred Tree (The area that comes after the cyclops playing the harp). There's a flying polygonal rock in the sky.

It's actually a reference to another Ubisoft game, Grow Home!
Well I wasn't the only one who noticed. ^^
Rulez
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2310

Post by Rulez »

Niggers
Fifo
Joe
Tings: 78355

Post by Fifo »

Rulez wrote:Niggers
lolwut
sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty »

:|
incognito wrote:Okay, now Sergio, just gave me an headache, and I just re-readed the doom comic, so I have my massive dose of brain damage for today.
I can't believe we have such a conversation about a so pointless thing, Ubisoft made the choice to make a more humorous version of the Chinese world, deal with it, if you're so offended, you have the choice to not play the gAme, it is like you said, pop culture, this starts to remind me of the ban of Weenie the Pooh of Poland.
.... You talk about how much of a headache my argument means to you. And yet you're still complaining about me getting offended, when I stated a thousand times that it does not offend me. You clearly didn't read anything, partner.

To sum it up: I'm not worried about it being racist, I'm worried about the possibility that this character appears in a future AAA Rayman game where press actually checks the content and makes a huge scandal with articles saying that Rayman is racist. I mean, come on, they did that with Mario Maker, and Rayman could easily avoid that. The last thing Rayman needs is bad articles. I hate the character for an entirely different reason: because he's basically Bruce Lee, a pop culture icon, but I don't hate him enough to hate the game, so no, you cannot force me to stop playing. As I stated before, I love the level design of The Wild Wild East. Am I making a scandal? Nope, you guys are the ones forcing me to keep talking about it when in reality it's just a matter of opinions, BUT OOOOH NOOOO, IF I STOP TALKING ABOUT IT, IT'S BECAUSE I SUCK AT DISCUSSIONS, RIGHT? Please guys, let me have an opinion for once. I'm not feeling confortable trying to express to you how I feel about this weird situation and I truly don't want to force you to have the same opinion that I had. I seriously wish people were as open minded as you, but I know how sad reality is, and how much people like to get offended and make scandals.

I'm not "banning" this character or anything. I think he's still part of the Rayman universe. Stop viewing me as the enemy. I'm not that childish, for fuck' sake, I'm a grown man, not a whiny tumblr teenage girl. I'm still the one making an article about this yellow fellow on Raywiki , with zero bias.
Your racist jokes used to better. You're getting rusty in the offense department, Tamek :(
Rulez
Henchman 1000

Post by Rulez »

sergiomonty wrote:
Your racist jokes used to better. You're getting rusty in the offense department, Tamek :(
Patience.
syntheticgerbil
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by syntheticgerbil »

I see everything you're saying Sergiomonty and there's a nice art history lesson there. Curious since you said you work in animation, do you have an online portfolio or anything?

I'm not sure it's important to discuss any of this here since I found this topic: http://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8126 Vile stuff. Sheesh, is this all moderator approved? Besides that it's not funny, would anyone ever want that floating out there on their username to be dug up?

As for adventures. I really don't want any more updates. All I'm doing is grinding for the last skin. I think maybe it's time Ubisoft lets this price gouging game die. Personally I'd rather Ancel and crew just focus on BG&E2 or Wild, those should be much more fun and inventive, although I don't think the former will be released first.
Rulez
Henchman 1000

Post by Rulez »

syntheticgerbil wrote:I'm not sure it's important to discuss any of this here since I found this topic: http://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8126 Vile stuff. Sheesh, is this all moderator approved? Besides that it's not funny, would anyone ever want that floating out there on their username to be dug up?
You have to realise it's not serious. I think it falls under black humour, not sure, but maybe. It's just so crude, you laugh at how obscene it is.
sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty »

Rulez wrote:
syntheticgerbil wrote:I'm not sure it's important to discuss any of this here since I found this topic: http://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8126 Vile stuff. Sheesh, is this all moderator approved? Besides that it's not funny, would anyone ever want that floating out there on their username to be dug up?
You have to realise it's not serious. I think it falls under black humour, not sure, but maybe. It's just so crude, you laugh at how obscene it is.
Yeah, it was funny, for, like 2 or three posts. I sincerely forgot about that topic, lol. But yeah, it's a joke topic. I'm pretty sure (and expect) that no one is unleashing real behaviors of racism there :P
syntheticgerbil wrote:I see everything you're saying Sergiomonty and there's a nice art history lesson there. Curious since you said you work in animation, do you have an online portfolio or anything?
Oh boy, I don't want to go off-topic, but I truly feel flattered.... So, forgive me for this one, guys, it'll be a quickie, I swear

So I have a few animation reels, but I can't quite show them yet, since they're for 3 tv shows I've worked on that Haven't aired yet.
...But I can show you this:

And this...

AAAAAND this...

..........I'm also into illustration, I'm pretty sure OCG will appreciate this one I did two days ago!

..OK ENOUGH, I'M SORRY GUYS.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Wow, off-topic or not, I have to say, those look pretty amazing Sergio.