General Pokémon Thread

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu
Tings: 176605

Re: General Pokémon Thread

Post by Rayfist »

Glad you finally got your hands on it.

This video pretty much sums up how I feel about 3DS-era Pokemon:
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/pokemons ... 0-6435906/
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D
Pirez
Globox
Tings: 98075

Post by Pirez »

Is it me, or are those two games a massive letdown? They're not bad per se (although there's a significant dropoff in fluidity) but the choices made to enhance the Pokémon experience all end up working against the game.

I may go into further details about those thoughts but right now I'm at work. i just wanted to see if I was the only one thinking that. FYI those thoughts may change since I've yet to finish the game. I'm just before the league.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

I'd love to hear actually.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Pirez
Globox

Post by Pirez »

Well, let's break it down.

Story : atrociously linear and painfully predictable, as was to be expected. The plot-twist, which is given away in the opening cinematic by the way, feels like Undertale x Portal. If you didn't guess who the champion of the league was, I'll donate your body to science because you are able to survive despite your crippled brain. Following the horrible ending of X/Y, the ending is once again not about you and what you accomplished but rather on the woman (whose name I do not know in english). Granted, it's less insulting than in X/Y where the focus of the ending was about the retarded giant introduced 2 hours before the league, but still, you're once again the tools of the story rather than the motor.

Though it's a very minor complain, I also hate how fabulous and legendary Pokémon are handed to you like a bag of meat since X/Y. Go back to Gold/Silver and those Pokémons came with a fully thought-out story that expanded the world and had to be planned in advance even thought the conditions of distributions were catastrophic at the time. But now that those event could easily be added after the game's release via DLC, we gladly get to fuck off.

Gameplay : I remember a time where having more than two Pokémon on-screen was not a cause for the processor to commit suicide. I don't know if it's also the case on the New 3DS, but it's still unacceptable. Other than that, every single gameplay addition is counter-productive :

- Battle Royale : You only have to do it once in the entire game. You'd think that a new way of battling would be used in several situations, like triple battle or rotating battle. But here, it's entirely optional like Pokéathlon or beauty contest, and furthermore it lags like crazy.
- Poké-Rides : I was all for removing HMs but replacing them with this diminishes the involvement you have with your Pokémon. These Pokémons are not yours, you can't use them outside of transport. Granted, with a Tauros, Sharpedo, Charizard, Tiboudet, Locklass, and Machamp (which looks very retarded and homo-erotic as a PokéRide, btw) you would already have a good shot at the League. This is not a good system, but more on that later. Plus Locklass is useless once you have Sharpedo. The flying ride is also a hugedowngrade from ORAS which gave freedom of movement.
- All the little features present in the menu : overcomplicated and never used.
- Z moves. The idea in itself isn't bad, but is very vague. Is it a physical move? Special? Neither? Plus the animations are way too fucking long.
- Dominant Pokémons : The concept is way too rudimentary. It's not exploited properly and therefore feels more token than anything else.
- Ultra-Beast : these are just Pokémons. Say what?

I feel like Game freak had the opportunity to make this game feel like Zelda 1 : instead of the painfully linear story that is set up, have an open world with a general, vague goal. Like, say... The League is available from the start but if you go there with you starter and a caterpie you'll get murdered. Make sure that most Pokémons can become PokéRides, but not at the base form (like Makuhita can't use force, but Hariyama can). It would give you an incentive to develop your little guys. I already hear you say "but once you get a flying ride with the same freedom of movement from ORAS you like so much, exploration is fucked". True, unless you design the game to discourage you from doing so, like having overpowered flying Pokémon at a high altitude that destroy you if you don't have the level, or having more caves (some of which only accessible via flying, or underwater so dive can be a useful move again.) Let the game be about exploring a new world rather than being forced through a predictable story which makes very little sense. Give us a reason to visit the world of the other side of the Altar of the Sun/Moone, make it full of other Pokémons/trainers/objectives/Alolan forms rather than the same world 12 hours apart. That's why I feel this game that so much squandered potential.

Oh and I'm also mad that the gen 2 starter do not get an alolan form.
buildersith
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by buildersith »

I wasn't going to pick up sun or moon, I think as a result of me getting introduced, and playing 3 main series games in less than a year, I burnt myself out pretty quickly on the series, to the point where I got Omega Ruby when it came out, played it for an hour, never touched it again.

I watched the trailers for sun and moon when they came out, but I didn't have any intention on buying the game until I talked with a friend who had bought sun.I got moon, and I'm really glad I did because I'm really enjoying myself actually, admittedly, the friend who convinced me to give it a shot also bred a team and then some for me, including the other two starters (I chose Popplio, by the way, I like seals, used to feed them fresh fish) and that has skewed my view of the games difficulty, though I will say the last two Totem Pokémon I faced gave me a little trouble, though not enough to actual put me close to a blackout,s still, at least I didn't one shot them like I did the first two.

But yeah II'm glad I took the risk because I'm enjoying the game, which is nice, because oterwise I would have wasted another £30 on a game I didn't like.
[steam: Buildersith][PSN: Buildersith]
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Looks like we're getting another mobile Pokémon:
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

Cool I guess, though I kind of wish they opted for real animations rather than using those Smash/Amiibo trophies.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Cairnie
Murfy
Tings: 85030

Post by Cairnie »

So Generation 2 pokeys have been rolled in today and so far I caught about 12 of them including a Miltank. Thoughts?
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Post by Hoodcom »

I've still yet to decide between Pokemon Sun or Moon, does anyone have any recommendations for me? I've mostly been playing a bit of Pokemon X but haven't really touched the newest one.

I'm also curious about possible Pokemon games on the Switch, as well.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

So far it's just been rumours with Pokemon on the Switch. I'd imagine we'll learn more come E3, from what I've seen, Ninty is planning to go big this year.

I'll give Ninty credit, with Breath of the Wild and the upcoming Mario Odyssey, they've done good with first party titles. Give me a Metroid and a new main series Pokemon and that becomes very alluring indeed. But there's always going to be that thorn which is third party support. While things seem to be fairly promising, I'm not completely convinced yet on that front.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Pirez wrote:Is it me, or are those two games a massive letdown? They're not bad per se (although there's a significant dropoff in fluidity) but the choices made to enhance the Pokémon experience all end up working against the game.
What else did you expect of a bootleg Pokémon game? Stick to the real ones, like Pokémon Red. Lengthiness is the soul of wit.
Cairnie wrote:So Generation 2 pokeys have been rolled in today and so far I caught about 12 of them including a Miltank. Thoughts?
Well that's cool but it doesn't solve the awful repetitiveness of the game (catch thousands of Pidgeys to progress) so that didn't make me play it again. Maybe PvP will, cause I still have a pretty badass team.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Bumping, Nintendo just announced a special Pokemon Direct for tomorrow: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 1690243073

I wonder if they're about to announced a Pokemon for the Switch?
Serza5
Mr Dark
Tings: 486315

Post by Serza5 »

Pokemon releases these days have always been unpredictable so it's hard to say what's coming. That said unless it's like Pokken 2 I can't fully see a new Pokemon Switch game coming soon since last time I heard game freak where very focused on handheld/mobile games recently.

Handheld wise on that note I believe the theories are either sun moon sequels or sinnoh remakes both of which sound too soon for an announcement but then again I believe there was only a year between xy and oras.
Words of Wisdom :
Master wrote:< can't compete with Serz, her power level is too great.
Hoodcom wrote:^^^ does underestimate the power of the mighty Serza. You shall beheaded for your insult to the Queen of Scotland. :mefiant:
Pirez
Globox

Post by Pirez »

What I want :
- A Switch game that encompases multiple regions (if not all of them)
- Additional content for Sun & Moon featuring (and this condition is pretty darn imperative) Alolan-Gen 2 starters.

What I'll probably get :
- Remake of Diamond/Pearl on the 3DS
- Gold/Silver/Crystal on the Eshop.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

One out of two Pirez, they're bringing Gold/Silver to 3DS Virtual Console. Serza got Pokken (though they've done an MK8 and gone with the enhanced remake option), and what appear to be sequels to Sun and Moon.
Pirez
Globox

Post by Pirez »

Sequels to sun and moon may mean Alolan-Gen 2 starters. So the jury is still out on that one :mrgreen:

Honestly though, I don't know why I'm in so much joy for UltraSun/Moon since I thought Sun/Moon were the worst games in the main serie. It must be the Pokémon effect.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Well, I guess the Direct sums up to this:

Now I don't know if I ever should buy Pokkén for the Wii U in future. The Switch version is more complete and we never know if in the next years I decide to get that system.
Serza5
Mr Dark

Post by Serza5 »

I haven't seen the trailer and am no that surprised. What's interesting though is that there's some sites which not only listed a 3dS release date for ultra sumo but also have a TBA switch release. Not that it'd be much use for switch less me but if it's true then that's an interesting decision on their part. (Serebii source btw)

Edit : Nintendo debunked that, is just a 3dS release.
Words of Wisdom :
Hoodcom wrote:^^^ does underestimate the power of the mighty Serza. You shall beheaded for your insult to the Queen of Scotland. :mefiant:
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

Wow, that's really gay. I think it's a terrible idea to try and keep pushing the 3DS when the Switch could've desperately used this to patch up a dry period of releases. Nintendo needs to realise the Switch is their handheld now, I can't believe they've never bothered to market the idea that you're paying only 300 bucks to play home and handheld console games, of notably higher graphical capability, instead of 500 bucks for two separate systems that get their releases juggled. I would've purchased these remakes for the Switch, but I'm on edge about getting it for the 3DS.

I also find these remakes really poorly timed. The whole premise of these Platinum type releases seems like a way to convince people to repurchase them a year down the road, or people who didn't purchase them first time around, but this just strikes me as too cheap. Just a half year of time between the original release and these seems way too early, and the fact that they're just flat out releasing superior versions seems like both a fuck you to people who just bought the game and an incentive to intentionally wait next time they release new titles. At least we got some new virtual console....ohn for the 3ds ok.
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Serza5
Mr Dark

Post by Serza5 »

There's hardly any footage to go off of but I doubt that these are straight up remakes if they're coming this soon. My bet is that they're sequels they've decided to work on alongside the initial releases which is why they've been announced so soon. It would be pretty poor on them if they are remakes/3rd version games but we didn't exactly get those sort of titles in gen 6, as much as an XY one wouldn't of been bad.
Words of Wisdom :