Rayman 1

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Which version is your favourite?

Jaguar
4%
PC
23%
PlayStation
58%
Saturn
7%
Game Boy Colour
1%
Game Boy Advance
3%
DSi
3%

Total votes: 206

PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Re: Rayman 1

Post by PluMGMK »

Well, the only reason I knew was that Cairnie mentioned it when she first played that version. :mefiant:
Thextera
Super Lums Jaune
Tings: 180

Post by Thextera »

The perfect version imo would be:

The loads from PC/GBA (because... gotta go fast)
The extra spiky ball on Bongo hills 2nd last screen from Japanese PS1 (because... 10 sec skip in speedrun)
The general movement/momentum/clips from American PS1 (supa smooth)
The last boss fight from Sega Saturn (the effects and breakdance)
That cool "action" text from the Jaguar
The eat at joe's "dark" screen from jaguar version (not dark in jaguar)
The extra cage in bongo hills from DSI (for fun)
The extra screen in bongo hills from PC
The Exit sign on the 1st screen of mr skops stalactites from PC/GBA/Jaguar (not there in PS1)
The 1st screen of eraser plains from Sega Saturn (Much harder than any other version)
The japanese voice from the intro and after beating the game from any Japanese version
The cute Grimace from Japanese PS1
The boss sounds of Mr stone from Sega Saturn (GRAWL!)
The Cage system from GBC (not requiring any to beat the game)
The powerup system from jaguar (losing fist upgrades from getting hit)
The Difficulty options from Android/iOS (easy/normal/hard)
The music from PS1
The Betilla screens from Japanese PS1 (much shorter than any other)
The voice acting from PC (in swamps of forgetfulness and mr stone peaks)
The Mr stone's chase music on twilight gulch from PS1 PAL (not in american version)

This would be amazing! I might've missed some things though
Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

Post by Ray502 »

Did anyone in their younger days find the trumpets in Allergro Presto to be a pain in the arse? I got stuck on that level for a long time in my early years.
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
Nostalgic Gamer
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by Nostalgic Gamer »

Hello fellow Rayman fans!!!
I am making my own Full Playthrough of Rayman 1.

Please check it out here and tell me what you think:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... XRuJNqruRM

Many thanks and blessings.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Nice, watching some of it brought back some lovely memories. :nostalgic:

And welcome, by the way! You can introduce yourself here if you like.
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Post by Hoodcom »

Makes me remember when I first began playing Rayman 1, which didn't come until sometime later since Rayman 3 was my first.

I ended up getting the PC version and playing it on a legit 486 DX2 machine, it was then how important extended cache for the CPU was important for games on a 486 rig. This was in the 2000s when I had this, maybe 2005 or 2006. Graphics on the game are still beautiful. :)
Electoon
Barbara
Tings: 11900

Post by Electoon »

Ray502 wrote:Did anyone in their younger days find the trumpets in Allergro Presto to be a pain in the arse? I got stuck on that level for a long time in my early years.
That was always were my brother and I's game stopped when we were both very little. After that point, we just used to enter the all electoons password and see how far we could get on various later maps in the game before dying. My favourite to watch was Pencil Pentathlon, although in hindsight, that's a lot harder than Allegro Presto :mrgreen:
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

I rather enjoyed the trumpets TBH. Not that Allegro Presto was my first exposure to them by any means. I think there was at least one comparable section in Rayman Junior, which was of course my first Rayman game. And then the trumpets in the first two Designer levels are much more diabolically difficult than the original game (well, except for the so-called "Impossible Jump"…).
Sabertooth
Magicien
Tings: 53365

Post by Sabertooth »

Does anyone else think this game is harder now than it was as a kid?
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I don't think so, I've played more difficult 2D platformers than Rayman 1.
Raymanarenaps2
Pti-lote
Tings: 2975

Post by Raymanarenaps2 »

Hey guys, I am doing a playthrough of Rayman Advance with improved sound quality compared to the original GBA cart. You can hear the main music and the background music much clearer than any other playthrough on Youtube. Also each physical speaker does it's own sounds to improve clearness between front and back music. I took off a few things from the music, but only if I found that it would enhance the sound quality of the game. The video quality isn't HD sadly. I recorded this on Ubuntu Linux, this being the first game I recorded using a non windows OS.

Check it out. -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBc38ZB ... e=youtu.be
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Raymanarenaps2 wrote:Also each physical speaker does it's own sounds to improve clearness between front and back music.
This is not a pleasant thing to hear on headphones, or on any proper stereo setup. 70% of the second Pink Plant Woods track is just pounding through your left ear.
Raymanarenaps2 wrote:I took off a few things from the music, but only if I found that it would enhance the sound quality of the game.
How exactly would you describe "enhancing the sound quality of the game"?
I wouldn't say these edits provide a better user experience, because you've removed some key elements of the music that make it sound lush and full, such as the bass line to almost every track. Would you also want to remove the bass from every rock song ever, even when it has its own themes and motifs going that contribute hugely to the composition of the song itself?

The goal of music production isn't to make everything as separated and clinical as possible, it's to do the exact opposite: to mold everything together into a dynamic, satisfying, wholesome wall of sound.
Raymanarenaps2
Pti-lote

Post by Raymanarenaps2 »

Adsolution wrote:
Raymanarenaps2 wrote:Also each physical speaker does it's own sounds to improve clearness between front and back music.
This is not a pleasant thing to hear on headphones, or on any proper stereo setup. 70% of the second Pink Plant Woods track is just pounding through your left ear.
Raymanarenaps2 wrote:I took off a few things from the music, but only if I found that it would enhance the sound quality of the game.
How exactly would you describe "enhancing the sound quality of the game"?
I wouldn't say these edits provide a better user experience, because you've removed some key elements of the music that make it sound lush and full, such as the bass line to almost every track. Would you also want to remove the bass from every rock song ever, even when it has its own themes and motifs going that contribute hugely to the composition of the song itself?

The goal of music production isn't to make everything as separated and clinical as possible, it's to do the exact opposite: to mold everything together into a dynamic, satisfying, wholesome wall of sound.
Bass actually takes what music is. it tricks the brain into thinking the music is good while talking offer alot of the key alements of a song. This is why rock music sounds good with bass. The reason the experience is enhanced is because the music gives away the true experience instead of hiding behind bass to sound good. I see where you are coming from but in Rayman Advance it just sounds better.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Sorry, can you rephrase that? I'm not sure what you're trying to say - are you saying that the purpose of bass is to trick the brain into thinking that a song is good, whilst simultaneously detracting from the quality of the music? If so, I'd love to hear what in the world lead you to that conclusion, because it makes absolutely no sense, because however good our brain perceives the music to be is is all that matters in the end. Music is already just a brain trick to begin with.
Raymanarenaps2
Pti-lote

Post by Raymanarenaps2 »

Think of it like this. Kinda like how the old crt tv tricks the brain with it's display into a world with deph even though there is no deph to begin with while also taking the clearity off of the display. It tricks the brain to believe it's legit but it really isn't. Lcd tvs took off the bass from tvs (I know bass has nothing to do with displays, just trying to help you understand what I was saying on the previous post.) Therefore becoming much clearer and easier to understand. So basically bass is the crt tv of music. Even if you aren't using a big subwoofer for bass there is still bass in music and all it's doing is tricking the brain and hidding the true music behind it.
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Post by Ambidextroid »

How can music trick your brain into thinking it sounds good? Or more to the point, how is "tricking" the brain into thinking it sounds good any different than "actually" sounding good? Surely if you're enjoying the music, be it from the bass or the melody itself, then it doesn't matter.
Raymanarenaps2
Pti-lote

Post by Raymanarenaps2 »

Ambidextroid wrote:How can music trick your brain into thinking it sounds good? Or more to the point, how is "tricking" the brain into thinking it sounds good any different than "actually" sounding good? Surely if you're enjoying the music, be it from the bass or the melody itself, then it doesn't matter.
The "bass" in music is what tricks the brain to think music sounds legit. Like you can have a song like Fancy, an okay song for what it is then add bass then everyone thinks it's amazing. Fancy would actually be one of those songs that would sound better without bass because of how the vocals are structured.
Trebble is real sounds, bass just adds fake deph to them and uses alot of power, like the good ol crt tv. mentioned in an older post.
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Post by Ambidextroid »

I would argue it's totally subjective, you might think a song is better with less bass while most think it's better with more. That doesn't mean bass adds "fake depth", it just means it's an enjoyable element of music. I see what you're trying to say, but I think you're missing the point that bass isn't just a cheap trick that magically improves any song, it's just a part of music that sounds good when employed well.
You say a song can be "alright" and then people like it a lot more with more bass because it's "tricking their brains", but couldn't you pretty much say the same exact thing for any other element of music? What makes you think it's a mind trick rather than just a good element of music?
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Raymanarenaps2 wrote:Think of it like this. Kinda like how the old crt tv tricks the brain with it's display into a world with deph even though there is no deph to begin with while also taking the clearity off of the display. It tricks the brain to believe it's legit but it really isn't. Lcd tvs took off the bass from tvs (I know bass has nothing to do with displays, just trying to help you understand what I was saying on the previous post.) Therefore becoming much clearer and easier to understand. So basically bass is the crt tv of music. Even if you aren't using a big subwoofer for bass there is still bass in music and all it's doing is tricking the brain and hidding the true music behind it.
But you haven't given a single actual reason as to how bass is false, you just keep saying that it is and making a nonsensical analogy to CRTs - nonsensical because bass is equal in quality and importance to any other frequency range, whereas CRT distortion is a post-effect. There's nothing fundamentally different about it that somehow excludes it from being considered natural versus mid or treble.

You obviously don't know much about music or sound, and to someone whose primary focus is just that, you sound a bit retarded. If there was any merit at all to this hipster ideology you're pushing (likely rooted in a deep hatred for urban black people), chances are that the idea would've been picked up on hundreds of years ago and the world of sound and music would not be as it is today.
nr0r
Crapaud blindé
Tings: 16858

Post by nr0r »

You know what I always found funny? How similar the art style in Rayman Junior is in comparison to Pajama Sam.

Which is a really silly comparison, but it's cute nonetheless.

Tunderous wrote: How would we know if you have a husband? Your gender isnt shown. :mrgreen:
[1:02 AM] Chloë/Adsolution/Krawielicki?: lilith= if she took up any space shed be a waste of it