Music from the past vs. Today's music

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Music from the past or today?

Past
40%
Today
5%
Both
55%

Total votes: 20

Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

Music from the past vs. Today's music

Post by Ray502 »

Do you prefer to listen to music from the past or the music of today?

For me, it's a combination of both. I've been listening to more modern music recently, but I still listen to music from the '80s, '90s and early 2000s much more often.
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Re: Music from the past vs. Today's music

Post by Ambidextroid »

I picked the past, not because I don’t listen to music from the present but because a group of something from the past is inevitably going to include more things that are better than what’s from the present simply because the sample size is much larger. If music from the present day means the past 10 years or so and the past to mean the many other decades of music then there’s bound to be many more good songs from the past as the sample of music is much larger.

That and also the fact that I don’t search out new music, I come across a lot of my favourite songs because they’re famous to some degree, which inevitably comes from being a relatively old song rather than a brand new one.
Rsandee
Moskito
Tings: 59720

Post by Rsandee »

Both.
Classic rock and hard rock are great, but I love me some modern metal.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

I'm guessing the point of reference being used here is our generation versus our parents' generation, in which case I have no preference. While experimental/progressive rock and roll were essentially mainstream in the 60's, I can't really pinpoint a specific point in all of music history, even reaching back hundreds of years, that I prefer. I have personal preferences when it comes to genre, but beyond that, it's not like the number of good artists in the industry has dropped over time.

The thing that bothers me the most right now is that a lot of good rock/metal bands from even as recently as the 2000's have turned to making really gay pop and have become solo/production acts more than they are bands, which is understandable, but I haven't really seen many new acts cropping up to fill the void. Sure, metal and pop rock are still going strong, but those are pretty safe genres with a secure audience that isn't going anywhere. I find it really difficult to find artists now who really properly capture the "thing" 90's edge rock/grunge started who sound genuinely expressive and are as instrumentally, emotionally and melodically creative as those they've taken inspiration from. I find it really strange that there aren't more, because I feel that it was a particular genre everyone and their dog respects, even if it's "not their thing".

As for pop, I think it's more interesting and varied now, or at least a couple years ago (like 2013-2015 - right now there's like nothing interesting on the radio and we desparately need something to shake things up), than it has been in a long time. 90's and 2000's pop I found really boring (barring the late-90's Britney Spears/TLC era which I have this funny nostalgia for, I think they're fun), and while I think it's a little too produced now to the point where a lot of vocals just lose their impact entirely, the productions and instrumentals can be really atmospheric and downright breathtaking at times. Next to the 2010's, I think my favourite era for pop was the 80's - sure, there were a lot of pop ballads, but the good ones are reeeaaallly good; some of of the harmonic progressions they came up with to elicit an emotional response were astoundingly brilliant.
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

Bump.

I love the fact that NOBODY decided to pick present, which is understandable since in my opinion the newer musics I hear today, whether it be on the radio or from the internet, just don't really make an impact to me the way to the oldies music from the 50s-2000s do. I chose both, because despite the fact that I don't really find much music these days that would make a lasting impact towards myself, there are still flashes of brilliance I see every now and then. But that's just me.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

I was going to go with older, but went both because even though in my opinion a lot of the music released today sounds like somebody hurting a cat, there are still some new ones that are good.

I think it's just that genre of music I don't like, so that's not to say there wasn't some awful 70's / 80's songs out there too. It's just that I keep hearing the awful songs I don't like being played on the radio etc.

What I really hate about today's music is auto tuning. If you can't sing then don't!
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

Steo wrote:I was going to go with older, but went both because even though in my opinion a lot of the music released today sounds like somebody hurting a cat, there are still some new ones that are good.
Same, I think there are some good ones in the modern day and age, but they're very sparce for me, most music that I find on the radio is just trashy/not memorable enough for me (I'm not that big on ___).
Steo wrote:What I really hate about today's music is auto tuning. If you can't sing then don't!
I know, I don't usually like it either when people use auto tune. Although there are some artists who use auto tune and can still sing well, though I can't name any off the top of my head for them moment.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Rulez
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2310

Post by Rulez »

Steo wrote:What I really hate about today's music is auto tuning. If you can't sing then don't!
That's strange. Since when did music have any limitations?
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

Rulez wrote:That's strange. Since when did music have any limitations?
Well I didn't really put that right. What I don't like is how overused that auto tune effect is where they make the voices purposefully sound computerised. I mean yeah, some songs sound good with it but it's used far too often.

Maybe I should say if you can't sing, learn instead.

Will I Am at least had the decency to admit that he can't sing.

What do all those people do when people idolise them then go to see them live and realise they actually can't even sing?
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Post by Ambidextroid »

I don't think auto tune is a bad thing, in the same way I don't think synthetic orchestra is a bad thing. All that matters to me is if I like the final song, not how it was made.
I can see how you might have issue with artists using auto tune without disclosing it as that's just disingenuous, but that's more of a problem with the person's character than the music they make. If a person can only make good music by auto tuning their voice (or even if they're capable but too lazy to practice), then as long as the music's good I say good on em.
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

That's more what I mean, the artists who pass off that they're great singers but they can't actually sing live. I guess if they admit that then fair enough. I think around the 2010 mark though too many songs started to use that autotune repetitive thing where it's like "play ay ay ay" if you know what I mean.

Maybe some people like it but I think if it's used seldomly it's more original like in that song Hey Baby song by DJ Otzi for example.

I think people think just because one song is good that it's a good idea to copy it and use it in every song when they shouldn't really because then it's no longer an original thing if you get what I mean.

Rulez
Henchman 1000

Post by Rulez »

Yeah, now that you clarified, that makes more sense. However, I want to explain one thing to you you might not be aware of - but first, can you name a few of your favourite artists?
incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

Fuuuuuck I was about to start the very same thread...

Past for sure, 90's to be the decade whomst'd've'ly'yaint'nt'ed'ies's'y'es impacted me the most.
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

Rulez wrote:Yeah, now that you clarified, that makes more sense. However, I want to explain one thing to you you might not be aware of - but first, can you name a few of your favourite artists?
Well I like the likes of Green Day, Blink182, Metallica, etc. There are others but most bands I usually just have a few favourite songs from.

I put that post in really bad words though, but I meant people who are idolised by pretending that they can sing. I know Green Day are brilliant live too though.

I do also know that even the better singers will still polish the songs in the studio too and I honestly do like a few songs from bands that do sound awful live now that I think of it.

I wasn't trying to start a rant also but that post really made it look like I was so apologies :lol:

Rulez
Henchman 1000

Post by Rulez »

Steo wrote:I do also know that even the better singers will still polish the songs in the studio too and I honestly do like a few songs from bands that do sound awful live now that I think of it.
Yep, that's what I wanted to say, pretty much. But also, I'd say most vocal tracks in all of recorded music are autotuned (i.e. the pitch is altered, for example because while the take was great tone-wise, it was a tad off-pitch), and you can't even hear that unless you really know your shit. Autotune isn't that easy to hear. People tend to mistake "autotune" for "that robotic-sounding voice" or whatever. I'm not saying you're one of those, it's just that, you kinda sounded like that at the beginning there :mrgreen: I realise you know quite a bit about music, that's why that statement was kinda confusing! Ah, and all three of those bands have used autotune at least a few times :P

Of course, "that robotic-sounding voice" is autotune, but applied heavily, usually (always?) for a certain effect, and that's part of the artist's vision. I definitely don't have a problem with that. By the way, funnily, I actually know at least one person who heard some vocal distortion combined with falsetto in one of my covers, and thought that was autotune. Granted, the cover did include some, but definitely not something that's audible at all, so they just confused a robotic-sounding vocal effect with their idea of what autotune is. This kiiinda pisses me off, along with people shitting on autotune in general, or calling it a sin, pretty much - I think when it comes to recorded music, anything goes. As for performing live, well, as long as you're close enough - that wouldn't bother me. Especially since a concert is about the whole show, for me - the visuals and everything. If you really suck at singing though, maybe you shouldn't perform live until you practice a little.
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

Perfectly true and yeah I was just thinking that the pitch is so perfect even in a lot of the Green Day songs meaning they did use it to an extent, to where yeah they're going to want the studio versions to sound perfect. Obviously they don't sound absolutely pitch perfect live, but they do perform really well. That Bullet In A Bible album is a perfect example as the whole thing is live. They even did make a couple of slight audible mistakes but that's OK because it's close enough as you said and it just proves that they're really performing.

I have heard of a lot of people miming / lipsyncing live too. As I said though I guess autotune isn't so bad in moderation especially in studio recording for pitch altering, but the people that literally can't sing at all and try pass themselves off as brilliant singers, then have people want to grow up to be like their idol is what bothers me really. Sometimes that robotic voice is done on purpose and Daft Punk even use it a lot too, but I don't mind that in some songs.

When people use it to an extent where it's not that noticeable that's cool. I don't expect anyone ever to be able to sing 100% perfect, maybe even 5 to 10 cents off on some notes might not even be so noticeable if even at all but you get what I mean.

When I said that in the first post, I was just thinking of all the bands that tour and work very hard to make a living, but then you have some people sitting there at the computer singing miles off key and just tuning it to perfection and saying "listen to me, I'm a great singer aren't I" :lol:

So yeah I worded that first post in such a bad way that it looked like I was dissing everyone that even touched autotune :P

Rulez
Henchman 1000

Post by Rulez »

Yeah man, I gotcha! I hate it, though, when the whole song sounds, uh, let me say "authentic", and then there's just this one tiny moment where the vocals are really noticeably pitch corrected. But, that's not really on autotune - that's on whoever was too lazy to make it sound good. :mrgreen:
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

Yeah thats it exactly, jusy laziness :lol:

Even a few songs I used to listen to you can hear how obviously it's applied now hearing them again.

Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

But is this issue really such a determining factor to the quality of a song? I would think that if it has everything needed to be considered great and back that up, like well composed music and a talented singing performance, this would just be a minor nuance, rather then something that could potentially ruin one's enjoyment of it.
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

I have a preference in the sense that most of what I listen to released in the past 25 years, but I think that's largely because of the wider range of sound available today and that some artists are easier to identify with in the context of your own generation. It's to a point where I think music is almost becoming oversaturated by the number of great artists there are right now, there's so many interesting albums dropping all the time that sometimes I need to reel myself back in and actually take time to invest in an artist's sound and ideas before just quickly moving on the next thing that catches my attention.
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)