Is the PAL version of Rayman 1 realy running at a lower speed than intendet?

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique
Tings: 25637

Is the PAL version of Rayman 1 realy running at a lower speed than intendet?

Post by StelzenBomber »

I mean i don't think it does.

Firstly the game was developed in France, whitch uses the PAL format.

Secoundly, The YEA animation is out of sync in NTSC
The little shine on raymans theeth line up perfectly with the music in PAL.

not in NTSC.

so... i need to find more infos so write down your opinion
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Re: Is the PAL version of Rayman 1 realy running at a lower speed than intendet?

Post by RibShark »

Rayman 1 was intended to run at 60Hz (NTSC). There are multiple things that can prove this. First off is that this advert says so! Secondly, the timer in the bonus levels runs slowly at 50Hz. The only version that has sound issues at 60Hz is the PS1 version. The PS1 version is special as it (apart from the Japanese version) includes sequenced music (similar to the MIDI format), including the YEAH music. (Sidenote: this is also why the PS1 exclusive music remains PS1 exclusive). My theory is the sound programmers for PS1 were for some reason testing on PAL, which is why there is sync issues on NTSC.
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Re: Is the PAL version of Rayman 1 realy running at a lower speed than intendet?

Post by StelzenBomber »

im pretty sure FPS arent Hz...
i might be wrong tho

EDIT: also this is an ad for the atari jaguar version, not the ps1 version
im not sure if atari jaguar runs different than ps1
CHRdutch
El Stomacho
Tings: 23733

Post by CHRdutch »

StelzenBomber wrote:Firstly the game was developed in France, whitch uses the PAL format.
Actually, France uses the SECAM format. :v
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

CHRdutch wrote:
StelzenBomber wrote:Firstly the game was developed in France, whitch uses the PAL format.
wait what. they have their own format???????
What is different in this format???
CHRdutch
El Stomacho
Tings: 23733

Post by CHRdutch »

StelzenBomber wrote:
CHRdutch wrote:
wait what. they have their own format???????
What is different in this format???
The color encoding is different, as far as I know.
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Yes though to answer your question, our game runs at 50hz meaning it's slowed down by just over 17%. Origins will also do it (goes slow) if you play it using AV instead of HDMI on PS3.

Edit: That was the lazy way back in the day of dealing with stuff instead of them actually changing the speed of the PAL version to still match the speed of NTSC while having 10fps less is all. It literally runs in cycles per second.

Also France invented SCART if I'm not mistaken.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

I think SCART is a more Europe-wide thing, but the acronym itself is French (though I forget what it stands for).

As for the PAL/SECAM thing, it highlights certain misnomers that are in wide use. The framerate is not a property of PAL/SECAM/NTSC – those names refer only to colour encoding. The names caught on for referring to the underlying (B&W) standards as well because those don't have such memorable names (case in point: I have no idea what to call them here :oops2:). So, apart from the colour encoding, France and the rest of Europe use the same, 50-Hz, TV standard.
Of course, this misnomer is nowhere near as bad as using "PAL" and "NTSC" to refer to regions for region-locked games on platforms that don't even output analogue TV signals. :roll:
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Oh right that was silly to not mention that. NTSC50 and PAL60 are a thing also. It's just that the TV standard (analog like Plum said) is PAL (50hz 576i) and NTSC (60hz 480i) so I'd imagine they done it to avoid any problems with certain TV's not handling the video. I remember some PAL TV's would flicker while others were just B&W in NTSC then others just worked fine. I don't think PAL60 was very widely used back then and we had PS1 RF cables. Thankfully nowadays every TV with HDMI just supports 60hz and at least 1080p unless it's literally ancient or the cheapest 32 inch TV the shop had.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687