Games you consider underrated

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
raymanHUN
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3466

Re: Games you consider underrated

Post by raymanHUN »

Dart wrote:I find The World Ends With You to be rather underrated...
THIS is the #1 reason to buy a DS, I remember how addicted I was to that game... A sequel would be nice, somewhere I read a rumour that the Switch might get a TWEWY title, but it definitely isn't fact, so we will have to wait an official statement.

I also liked the FF XIII trilogy, though it was already mentioned.

As for Metroid, Other M is definitely underrated, however more people consider it to be garbage than it being a hidden gem... Actually I liked it. The Prime series gonna get a huge player base imo, since the hype is already pretty big around Prime 4. As for the side-scrollers, I pretty much loved them, but it's the type of game, that you either enjoy playing, or don't.

Also the old Fire Emblem games are not well known (Blazing Sword, Sacred Stone...), but they are far from being underrated.

Ys Chronicles is underrated though, at least in the West, I think with the PC release of Lacrimosa of Dana it might get a boost in player base. I liked I and II the most, for their fun combat-system. :D

Tenchu series are also kind of forgotten (I don't blame people for it, we haven't seen a worthy sequel in a long-long time), but it wasn't underrated in it's time.

Oh, and FF Type-0, it has pretty good mechanics, so the people who don't like JRPGs might also like this one... Not sure if underrated, but definitely not the one with the biggest hype.

That's all what comes to my mind right now, might post about some other games later.

(Edit: The formatting of this post is pretty shit, I just wanted to make the titles stand out, so people who just rush trough the post will notice which ones are mentioned...)
minimalism
WizardMinecraft
Électoon
Tings: 7

Post by WizardMinecraft »

Adsolution wrote: The hate for this game has to be one of the single biggest, most unfortunate examples of bandwagon shit I've ever seen, and that annoys me a lot because there was clearly passion put in, and it's not bad. It's not that good, but I was surprised by how often I did find myself genuinely enjoying myself. There were also some design choices in the game I thought did well to modernise the action-platformer genre, many of which people seem to actively disregard now (or at least ignore) because they hate the game.
While i can respect your opinion, behind SEGA's closed doors hides a more shall i say "sinister" reason why people had criticised Sonic Boom for the bandwagon of hate in the first place.
and i might get crucified for "taking this seriously".
you can message me if you want to know why sonic boom was considered if you want.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

WizardMinecraft wrote:While i can respect your opinion, behind SEGA's closed doors hides a more shall i say "sinister" reason why people had criticised Sonic Boom for the bandwagon of hate in the first place.
and i might get crucified for "taking this seriously".
you can message me if you want to know why sonic boom was considered if you want.
Can't you just share it here? I'm sure other people want to hear what you have to say too. No one's going to crucify you. :P
WizardMinecraft
Électoon
Tings: 7

Post by WizardMinecraft »

Ok Sonic Boom was originally ment for the PS4 using the cry engine however SEGA thought moving to worse hardware (That being the wii u) would be ok due to i guess thier contract with Nintendo to make sonic games on Nintendo consoles was expiring so in a bone-headed move, SEGA told the devs of Sonic Boom, Big Red Button (former employees of Naughty Dog) that they will be working with the wii u at the last second and it was painful for them to get a wii u friendly engine for Sonic Boom, which is evident when you look at the unused stuff for the game, when they found a wii u friendly engine for Sonic Boom, many textures things both unused and used in-game were badly downgraded and it was rushed to meet the deadline which caused the glitches to happen especially the "infamous" Knuckles jump glitch.
which sadly caused Big Red Button to go under bankruptcy. and this wasn't the first time SEGA tried dooming a 3rd party companies. they gave dimps (3rd party company) the bad rep they have at making sonic games with sonic 4 in order to pander to the classic sonic fans. forced traveler's tales (Another 3rd party company) to take a hit for SEGA with the monstrosity that is Sonic R and the sega saturn port of Sonic 3D Blast and a bit more. hell they ruined thier own sonic games, they canceled sonic saturn becuse they couldn't make it by the deadline, they messed up Sonic 06 because they didn't reach the deadline and used an early build of the game.

If you're wondering where i got most of this info from i got it from a youtube video from a guy who knows his shit about SEGA
Pirez
Globox
Tings: 98075

Post by Pirez »

Rsandee wrote:
Pirez wrote:
Rsandee wrote:Sure, metroidvanias are 10/10 games imo but they really don't age well, imagine one on current gen consoles; people outside the fanbase would never buy them.
That's not even remotely close to being true but that's another opinion of mine.
What do you mean?
The only way they can pull it off if they take notes from the Megaman series, by make them look retro-like and not trying to sell them for 50 euros/dollars.
I don't think people would still think paying so much money for a game like Symphony of the Night, it's an amazing game but the masses won't do it, only a dedicated audience would.
Well they re-released Symphony Of The Night on PS4 and it sold fucking gangbusters. There's Samus Returns that was a massive hit, and people are investing a lot on MetroidVania project on kickstarter. I can absolutely see a AAA-Metroidvania that would sell well. It's the go-to template for open-world 2D games.
hogsy
Lums Rouge
Tings: 70

Post by hogsy »

Anachronox, for sure. Couldn't recommend it enough. It's an RPG/Adventure game heavily inspired by the Final Fantasy series, but for a game of it's time it's massive in scope.

I honestly found the character development, the story and everything about it absolutely incredible. Just keep in mind that unfortunately, even at it's time of release, the game was fairly unstable - it's prone to faults such as sequences failing and other oddities; the GOG version of the game patches most of these out so I definitely recommend that version.

Believe it or not but it's also designed by Tom Hall, one of the original guys at id Software who worked on Wolfenstein and Doom, as well as Rise of the Triad.

I would also keep in mind that the game suffered heavy delays, so it may look a little dated for it's time. This is very much due to a lot of internal drama that occurred at the studio (they worked in the same office as the Daikatana team, a game I would most certainly NOT recommend playing) which resulted in a considerable portion of the team leaving and a lot of internal shuffling around - there was a huge rush at the end of it's development to get it completed.

The game was also so large that before it had even shipped they already had a backlog of work they were saving for a sequel - yes it ends at a cliff-hanger I'm afraid :(

Another game I would recommend trying is Messiah, which in my opinion is another great underrated game. Keep in mind that if you're easily offended you probably shouldn't play it, but it has some interesting ideas and the overall ambience and tone of the game is very cool.
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

Oh, definitely Beyond Good and Evil is underrated. The only reason it was a commercial failure was because of the shitty way Ubisoft marketed it. I truly had an enjoyable time getting to know Jade and Pey'j, the concept of using a camera to take pics was quite interesting and the free exploration was awesome. The only drawback I remember was that some portions of those pearls are not needed for completing the game, but I loved this game and would play it again. I have the PC version now so I can play the real thing this time. I am hoping that when BG&E2 comes out it will fare better.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Pirez
Globox

Post by Pirez »

BG&E is one of those games that would at the same time greatly benefit from an HD makeover in order to release it again for a new generation of players (which I think will ultimately happen in the wake of the sequel's release) and also greatly suffer from it since Ubisoft has proven to be able to butcher those endeavours à la Assassin's Creed 2.
Alexinator
Paluchard
Tings: 545

Post by Alexinator »

The World Ends With You
Last edited by Alexinator on Fri May 15, 2020 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
CoffeeNeko
Gandalf
Tings: 4106

Post by CoffeeNeko »

SONIC 06 HERE I SAID IT NOW DON'T KILL PLEASE.
It's way more enjoyable than Forces and Boom, I don't get why people still call it the worst game in the franchise.
And it has one of the most ass kicking OSTs ever.
Birds858
Creveton
Tings: 28481

Post by Birds858 »

CoffeeNeko wrote:SONIC 06 HERE I SAID IT NOW DON'T KILL PLEASE.
It's way more enjoyable than Forces and Boom, I don't get why people still call it the worst game in the franchise.
And it has one of the most ass kicking OSTs ever.
People hate Sonic 06 because :
It's has a lot of glitches.
It's has a rushed story.
And it's has terrible control, boss, collision and graphics.

Also, Forces is underrated and way better than boom and 06 but that's my opinion.
Steo wrote:"Don't you Know, About the bird ?
Well, Steo gonna tell you about the bird
A well a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A well a bird Surfin' bird B-b-b aah, aah!
Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa
Papa, ooma mow mow Papa, ooma mow mow!"

Birds858 wrote:
The Jonster wrote:Alright I have this one then which still amuses me a little since it brought up waifus.

Birds858 wrote:The most hottest Rayman characters is obviously Count Razoff.
It’s not awesome, it’s a fact.

Rayman 3 PS2 Score :
FC: 23977 | CF: 58813 | BOM: 35256 | LOTLD: 81011 | DOTK: 58659 | LS: 31220 | SBTC: 34536 | HH: 44581 | TOTL: 48670 | Total: 416723
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Pirez wrote:BG&E is one of those games that would at the same time greatly benefit from an HD makeover in order to release it again for a new generation of players (which I think will ultimately happen in the wake of the sequel's release) and also greatly suffer from it since Ubisoft has proven to be able to butcher those endeavours à la Assassin's Creed 2.
Well, they already did make a screwed-up HD version, so… :P
Pirez
Globox

Post by Pirez »

Is it the version that is on GoG? Because that one is really messed up.

Forced me to go out of my way and get a PS2 copy.
MJChroma
Lums Bleu
Tings: 110

Post by MJChroma »

Have any of you played De Blob? That game has an amazing soundtrack and visuals and odd but fun gameplay (to me). It's not balls to the walls hard (Like Rayman) but it's fun nonetheless. (Also, it's from Austrailia. Just a fun fact.)
MJChromatheOne
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Pirez wrote:Is it the version that is on GoG? Because that one is really messed up.
No, that's the version I played! :P (And AFAIK it's no different from the original PC version apart from the lack of DRM)
I'm referring to the rerelease on newer consoles that they did in the 2010s, in the same vein as Rayman 3.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Which in my opinion is much worse than the original Rayman 3. I'd imagine that's what you're getting at though :P
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. It's full of glitches.
Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

I know I've been talking about Mega Man way too much lately, but I'll take this opportunity to say that Mega Man 7 is in my opinion one of the most criminally underrated games in the entire classic series, since MMLC2 came out, it has been my most revisited game from the 10 main titles, it has great music, most of the special weapons are useful and can affect the environment for uncovering secrets, and I just find it a joy to play due to how unique it is from the other games.
Pirez
Globox

Post by Pirez »

Yeah I have to agree, Megaman 7 is underrated (but in my list it's only second best behind MM3).

Speaking of which, I find X3 also a bit underrated. It is very cryptic and convoluted in its design, but it's still a very enjoyable game which introduced some very good ideas (aka the multiple Ride Armor system) that were quietly dropped in subsequent games and that's a bit of a shame.
Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

Pirez wrote:In my list it's only second best behind MM3.
For me It's [Best- 7,9,6,3,2,8,4,10,5,&Bass,1 -Worst], but it's more a matter of preference with the classic series I find, most of the games are good and have something that sets them apart from the rest, it really just depends on which ones you connect with the most.

With Megaman 7 specifically, it just never made any sense to me that it's considered one of the weaker entries in the series, when it does so many things right as a Megaman game.
Pirez wrote:Speaking of which, I find X3 also a bit underrated. It is very cryptic and convoluted in its design, but it's still a very enjoyable game which introduced some very good ideas (aka the multiple Ride Armor system) that were quietly dropped in subsequent games and that's a bit of a shame.
I also enjoy Megaman X3 quite a bit, like I've already mentioned in the Megaman Discussion Thread, I think its start is unpleasent due to how much damage enemies do to you at the start and the amout of time it takes to kill them, but after getting most of the upgrades it becomes a much more enjoyable game, even if some ideas the title has are never really fully explored.

And speaking of the Ride Armor system, they're bringing it back for Megaman X Corrupted! Always wanted to see that system back for more then just collecting items/upgrades.