Rayman Legends

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Which version is your favourite?

Wii U
29%
PlayStation 3
8%
Xbox 360
5%
PlayStation Vita
2%
PC
26%
PlayStation 4
13%
Xbox One
3%
Switch
14%

Total votes: 212

PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Re: Rayman Legends

Post by PluMGMK »

They probably are different. The yellow lums in Rayman 2 are a very specific kind of energy, forming the Heart, or holding it together. The lums in Origins are just bits of any old energy!
SilentSanctuary
Barbara
Tings: 11395

Post by SilentSanctuary »

PluMGMK wrote:They probably are different. The yellow lums in Rayman 2 are a very specific kind of energy, forming the Heart, or holding it together. The lums in Origins are just bits of any old energy!
I never quite understood how they tried to combine the concepts of Lums and Electoons in the UbiArt games. It seems now that Lums are no longer the main components of which all reality is formed, as they were described in the Knowledge of the World; as you said, they rather seem like a random form of energy which acts like a Ting-like collectible in-game (which is not even hinted at in Rayman 2).

However, Electoons have once again taken the Lums' place as the prime fragments of existence (although they aren't even mentioned in Rayman Legends). Are we now supposed to assume that the Heart of the World/Great Protoon consists of Electoons and not the 1000 Yellow Lums? Does the Heart even exist anymore? Are the collectible, dancing Lums of RO and RL still connected to their former counterparts in some other way than name only (as I faintly remember reading in the manual for Rayman Origins that Rayman was still created with Lums)? Ugh...

Sorry again for the long post :roll: I know I've mentioned this before, but all the continuity clashes sometimes make the world of these games really hard to understand.
Alexinator
Paluchard
Tings: 545

Post by Alexinator »

Is it worth getting Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition if I've already played the PC and PS4 versions?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

SilentSanctuary wrote:
PluMGMK wrote:They probably are different. The yellow lums in Rayman 2 are a very specific kind of energy, forming the Heart, or holding it together. The lums in Origins are just bits of any old energy!
I never quite understood how they tried to combine the concepts of Lums and Electoons in the UbiArt games. It seems now that Lums are no longer the main components of which all reality is formed, as they were described in the Knowledge of the World; as you said, they rather seem like a random form of energy which acts like a Ting-like collectible in-game (which is not even hinted at in Rayman 2).

However, Electoons have once again taken the Lums' place as the prime fragments of existence (although they aren't even mentioned in Rayman Legends). Are we now supposed to assume that the Heart of the World/Great Protoon consists of Electoons and not the 1000 Yellow Lums? Does the Heart even exist anymore? Are the collectible, dancing Lums of RO and RL still connected to their former counterparts in some other way than name only (as I faintly remember reading in the manual for Rayman Origins that Rayman was still created with Lums)? Ugh...

Sorry again for the long post :roll: I know I've mentioned this before, but all the continuity clashes sometimes make the world of these games really hard to understand.
I'm not sure if the electoons are fragments of existence. I think they're just stabilizers for the Heart/Protoon, as they were in Rayman 1. As for unexplained fragments of energy, well, Rayman 2 did have Green Lums, which are not mentioned in the Knowledge of the World, so there may have been other Lum types floating around too.
Actually I had a theory before which involved the notion that the Origins Lums only appear independently when Electoons are being moved around. I know they appear in Legends too, but they may be explicable as stragglers or the like…
SilentSanctuary
Barbara

Oh, that might be the case. I just thought they served the same role in Origins as the Purple Lums in the Knowledge of the World (making things solid and tangible) because of the Electoon Bridges in the first four worlds... And I seem to remember something that points into that direction somewhere - perhaps the game's manual? - but I may very well just misremember things here.

Your point about the Green Lums is absolutely right - wonder why they weren't included in the Knowledge of the World, given that they're much more prominent in-game than, say, Blue Lums, which don't even appear in Revolution? In fact, I think the description of Blue Lums can apply very well to Green Lums, too - were they possibly switched around at some stage of development? But nevertheless, as you said, it may well be that the original types of Lums still exist in the UbiArt games despite the abundance of the new "Lums".

Your theory about the Lums being associated with the movement of Electoons is very interesting - I've never thought about that! Is it possible that Polokus's nightmares affect the state of the Electoons in Legends, too, which would explain the Lums' appearance there (on a side note, I've been wondering why the Lums change color to red in RO but purple in RL, but it might as well just be a stylistic choice).
Or if they aren't linked to the Electoons, is it possible that they are the consequence of the Nightmares disrupting the harmony of the world's energies? Do any of the other games depict Rayman directly facing Polokus's nightmares, rather than some external threat...?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

SilentSanctuary wrote:Oh, that might be the case. I just thought they served the same role in Origins as the Purple Lums in the Knowledge of the World (making things solid and tangible) because of the Electoon Bridges in the first four worlds... And I seem to remember something that points into that direction somewhere - perhaps the game's manual? - but I may very well just misremember things here.
I'm not sure about what it says in the manual, but yeah, I hadn't really thought about that whole Electoon Bridge thing. Well, I suppose it's not impossible that there's a deeper connection between Electoons and purple Lums. The "flying rings" in Rayman 1 look similar enough to Electoons to suggest that there could be some kind of link.
SilentSanctuary wrote:Your point about the Green Lums is absolutely right - wonder why they weren't included in the Knowledge of the World, given that they're much more prominent in-game than, say, Blue Lums, which don't even appear in Revolution? In fact, I think the description of Blue Lums can apply very well to Green Lums, too - were they possibly switched around at some stage of development? But nevertheless, as you said, it may well be that the original types of Lums still exist in the UbiArt games despite the abundance of the new "Lums".
You mean that bit about getting one at birth and keeping it until death? I suppose it's kind of similar, but I don't know if I'd say they actually swapped them like that. At the end of the day, the omission of green Lums is conspicuous, and makes one wonder about the agenda of whoever is telling this stuff to Rayman – even if it is the 1000 fragments of the Heart!
SilentSanctuary wrote:Your theory about the Lums being associated with the movement of Electoons is very interesting - I've never thought about that! Is it possible that Polokus's nightmares affect the state of the Electoons in Legends, too, which would explain the Lums' appearance there (on a side note, I've been wondering why the Lums change color to red in RO but purple in RL, but it might as well just be a stylistic choice).
Or if they aren't linked to the Electoons, is it possible that they are the consequence of the Nightmares disrupting the harmony of the world's energies? Do any of the other games depict Rayman directly facing Polokus's nightmares, rather than some external threat...?
It's not clear whether or not Mister Dark in Rayman 1 is a nightmare. Maybe Tings have something to do with multi-coloured Lums too?
As for red versus purple, I would say it is just stylistic, but it's still kind of vexing not to have an explanation. I'd nearly say it's to do with Polokus' mood again, although the Lums are supposed to be a higher power than him…
SilentSanctuary
Barbara

PluMGMK wrote:I'm not sure about what it says in the manual, but yeah, I hadn't really thought about that whole Electoon Bridge thing. Well, I suppose it's not impossible that there's a deeper connection between Electoons and purple Lums. The "flying rings" in Rayman 1 look similar enough to Electoons to suggest that there could be some kind of link.
Well, on the other hand, it could also be that the Electoons are simply creatures that, in this case, help Rayman get across the chasms between levels. Though I've always thought that the "flying rings" and purple Lums look all too similar to have no connection at all, and it's certainly true they look quite a bit similar to the Electoons (at least in color)!
PluMGMK wrote:You mean that bit about getting one at birth and keeping it until death? I suppose it's kind of similar, but I don't know if I'd say they actually swapped them like that. At the end of the day, the omission of green Lums is conspicuous, and makes one wonder about the agenda of whoever is telling this stuff to Rayman – even if it is the 1000 fragments of the Heart!
I didn't really mean they swapped them in-game - the color of the Blue Lums enough to indicate something linked with water from the get-go - but I just thought that maybe it was originally the plan to cover the Green Lums in place of Blue Lums in the Knowledge. Though that's not the in-universe reason, of course. I just think that the description of the Lums being linked with life and death would suit the Green Lums better, since they revive you upon death, after all. Blue Lums only exist in-game to fill Rayman's air supply; something mundane that can also be done by using regular air bubbles. And why would there only be Blue Lums underwater, if they're linked with the life and death of all of the Glade's creatures? Have some aquatic beings recently passed away on precisely those points?

Then again, Purple Lums are also supposed to make the world solid and visible, but they are only ever used in-game as swings.

As for the Knowledge of the World, I agree that it's definitely not a reliable source of information. The omissions of important aspects of the world and, in multiple cases, a vague style of writing, do not seem like ways the components of the Heart of the World would explain things to Rayman. In addition, it places an awfully strong emphasis on the Pirates - something not inherently even linked to the Glade. On the other hand, they are the main threat during the game's timespan, so perhaps the KotW may be altered to adapt to different circumstances.
PluMGMK wrote:It's not clear whether or not Mister Dark in Rayman 1 is a nightmare. Maybe Tings have something to do with multi-coloured Lums too?
As for red versus purple, I would say it is just stylistic, but it's still kind of vexing not to have an explanation. I'd nearly say it's to do with Polokus' mood again, although the Lums are supposed to be a higher power than him…
That's true - in the first game's intro, Mr Dark just "appears" out of nowhere and disrupts the balance of the Great Protoon (or Heart of the World; something very similar to the motives of the Pirates and also André in the beginning of Rayman 3). The resulting "strange phenomena" appear to be the result of the imbalance, so they probably aren't directly Nightmares... though if their source is one, they're still intrinsically linked to them. But my theory about them being linked to the Nightmares is just blind speculation in the first place...

It's good that you to brought up the Tings, though. The original Lums are simply glowing orbs with wings, and while the KotW and Rayman 3 prove them to be sentient, they don't really resemble the jolly little round fairies of the UbiArt games. In the (probably non-canon) GBC version of Rayman 1, Tings are revealed to be little fairies inside glass spheres... and while the fact may not be canon, and while new Lums obviously don't have glass spheres around them, maybe they are connected indeed! Their role in the games is also very similar: both are roundish pieces of scattered energy acting as standard collectibles in the levels, which Rayman then gives to the Magician in exchange for something else. Assuming the Magicians in R1 and RO are the same character, maybe he was starting to plan out his world domination already in the first game...
Majora
Lums Vert
Tings: 75

Post by Majora »

I've been replaying this game since I recently picked up the Definitive Edition on Switch. After 3 years of not playing it, I still love it a lot and still consider it a platforming great. However, does anyone else find the whole purple lum combos a bit grating on the level design? More often than not it feels like a distraction or a constant, tedious goose chase to get the perfect chain rather than having more genuine exploration of the levels.
"Touch. Sweet touch. You've given me too much to feel. Sweet touch. You've almost convinced me I'm real. I need something more, I need something...more."
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

What's worse is the daily challenges where you're too fast and get the Lum before it turns purple :mefiant:

I still think I prefer the way Origins did it with the Lum King where they turn Red for like 8 seconds, so you don't have to constantly worry about it.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

PluMGMK wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:35 pm I'd nearly say it's to do with Polokus' mood again, although the Lums are supposed to be a higher power than him…
Wow, really? That doesn't make sense for me though, like Polokus is a deity, and don't deities have the highest rank? :|
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Well, it's stated in Rayman 2 that he gets his power from the Lums, and that that the extent of this power is limited to land; in the air he has no power at all.
Aaron
Vendeur

Post by Aaron »

Oh, yeah! I remember that line now: "But in the air, I'm as vulnerable as a newborn." Thanks. :)
Raymanarenaps2
Pti-lote
Tings: 2975

Post by Raymanarenaps2 »

The 8bit levels are difficult but at the same time they are good ways to sharpen your reaction time or improve your platforming skill in general.
Aaron
Vendeur

Post by Aaron »

Yeah, Orchestral Chaos 8-bit edition was a pain in the arse, but the other levels were fine. I just like the original music levels better, especially Castle Rock. The thing about the 8-bit ones though is that they remove some good elements of songs, like in Castle Rock the ukulele (or whatever that instrument is). But you get my point.
Raymanarenaps2
Pti-lote
Tings: 2975

Post by Raymanarenaps2 »

Well, it's in 8-bit, so it's going to change understandably. I also like how the 8bit stages blend 8bit music with 16 bit music. Orchestral Chaos 8-bit specifically helps makes you better at the main game if you play it say, maybe about 5 times a day for 1 week your reaction time will improve and your over all platforming performance should be better. I actually found that after I mastered each of the 8-bit levels that I didn't struggle as much at some of the harder stages in Origins and Legends.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Aaron wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 pm Yeah, Orchestral Chaos 8-bit edition was a pain in the arse
More like a pain in the eyes! It's certainly doable, but it's hard to justify abusing one's peepers like that.
Aaron
Vendeur

Post by Aaron »

Well, maybe it's not as bad as Grannies' World Tour's censoring when you jump from wall to wall and there's spikes, but yeah, I agree, the 8-bit levels are fun too, especially Fiesta de los Muertos' 8-bit version because I just love how it gets like really pixelated, it just looks nice, the music is nice and plays nice overall. :)
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Orchestral Chaos is easy for me now but the first time it literally took me about 50+ tries and drove me nuts :lol:

It's just one of those things where you try it so many times until you get the hang of it, then it becomes so much easier.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
Birds858
Creveton
Tings: 28481

Post by Birds858 »

Did I am the only one to find that Infiltration Station (Invaded) it’s the most hardest level of the game, I can’t remember how many times I tried to get the three Teensies in this level. :pascontent:
Steo wrote:"Don't you Know, About the bird ?
Well, Steo gonna tell you about the bird
A well a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A well a bird Surfin' bird B-b-b aah, aah!
Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa
Papa, ooma mow mow Papa, ooma mow mow!"

Birds858 wrote:
The Jonster wrote:Alright I have this one then which still amuses me a little since it brought up waifus.

Birds858 wrote:The most hottest Rayman characters is obviously Count Razoff.
It’s not awesome, it’s a fact.

Rayman 3 PS2 Score :
FC: 23977 | CF: 58813 | BOM: 35256 | LOTLD: 81011 | DOTK: 58659 | LS: 31220 | SBTC: 34536 | HH: 44581 | TOTL: 48670 | Total: 416723
Aaron
Vendeur

Post by Aaron »

Yeah, I've recently tried going for that too, and yeah, it's really hard.