Rayman 3 PC - Hebrew and Russian versions

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
dr_st
Eig
Tings: 40813

Rayman 3 PC - Hebrew and Russian versions

Post by dr_st »

Finally lucked out and found a physical copy of the Hebrew version of Rayman 3 for sale locally. Although I had known about this version for almost as long as I have known of Rayman 3, I never got to play it or even see someone play it, until today.

It's pretty impressive - a full translation of all text and voices. I've only started playing, so basically only got past the intro, but it's cute in a strange way. Some of the translations are weird, and IMO, not very accurate, but the entire thing is still very professionally done.

With Israel being a rather small market, full translations such as this one are not very common; to the best of my knowledge this is the only game in the primary Rayman series that got translated to Hebrew (the Hebrew version of Rayman Junior is a different manner, as it is more of a learning program than a game).

Technical aspects:

The game is based on the early 3-CD release, not the later 1-DVD one; it uses its own product code, so it can be installed side-by-side with the English version, which is cool.

Translation weirdness:
  1. Globox's name has been changed to 'Mogul'. No idea why. None of the other main characters mentioned in the manual had their names changed.
  2. They obviously could not translate the lum-hoodlum pun, but instead of trying to find some alternative play on words, they just translated 'hoodlums' to 'mega-lums' which makes no sense story-wise; the full title "Hoodlum Havoc" has thus been translated to "Mega-lum Revolution", but I confess I don't know of a good word for 'Havoc' in Hebrew.
Some clickable images:
R3-H-Box-Front.jpg
R3-H-Disk23.jpg
R3-H-Disk1-Manual.jpg
R3-H-Box-Rear.jpg
R3-H-Manual1.jpg
R3-H-Manual2.jpg
Edit March 2020:

Full manual scan of the Hebrew version (was done on an HP Officejet, so don't expect professional quality): Uploaded to RayWiki

I'm now playing through the Russian version and updating with various discoveries about the translation. The start is in this post.

Hebrew and Russian ISOs are on the Internet Archive.

Hebrew and Russian voice-overs ripped using DecUbiSndGui.
Last edited by dr_st on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
ICUP321
Bébé Globox
Tings: 625

Re: Rayman 3 PC Hebrew version - again

Post by ICUP321 »

Yes, you should definitely put it on Internet Archive, it's a great site for preservation and there's a very, very low chance it'll actually get taken down.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Mogul though? Interesting indeed.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

ICUP321 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:40 am Yes, you should definitely put it on Internet Archive, it's a great site for preservation and there's a very, very low chance it'll actually get taken down.
This. Jason Scott who is a software curator at IA has himself uploaded a full ISO of Rayman 2. It's *very* unlikely it'll be taken down. It's a pity that redump.org requires expensive Plextor drives to dump CDs, otherwise I'd be encouraging you to dump add them to their database too.

I do already have a fake/rebuilt ISO of this, but seeing a clean dump will be very nice.
dr_st wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 pmWith Israel being a rather small market, full translations such as this one are not very common; to the best of my knowledge this is the only game in the primary Rayman series that got translated to Hebrew (the Hebrew version of Rayman Junior is a different manner, as it is more of a learning program than a game).
Rayman M also got translated, I believe.
I also picked up a Hebrew copy of Rayman 2 (I don't even speak the language, but I like seeing what's on all the regional releases :P ), but it's just the normal version (and the disc was scratched so I couldn't get a clean dump :/).
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

Yes, many games got Hebrew titles and disc covers, but few got full translations. Like, for instance, years ago I purchased the Rayman 10th Anniversary Pack in Israel, and it had Hebrew on the DVD case, but the games themselves were the original versions.

I'll check about Rayman M; I think you are right because I can see references to people mentioning the Hebrew version. And I'll see what I can do about uploading to IA. :)
Nve
Chasseur
Tings: 1954

Post by Nve »

Cool stuff. Did not CDs have a different look in the English version?
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

There were several different English releases, and the CDs looked different in all of them.
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

A couple of more things I've learned so far:
  1. The manual is black-and-white, whereas the scans on the Rayman 3 wiki page indicate that other versions had full color pages.
  2. It uses a different UBI.BIK logo intro video (attaching it here after converting to AVI and zipping); I believe it is an older video that was also used for Rayman M. For comparison, this is the commonly used Rayman 3 intro logo.
It seems there were quite a few Rayman 3 localized versions, that are not yet available on GoG; there is a Polish version, which looks official, and a Russian version as well (whose official status I'm not certain about as the Russians have been known for making pirated local translations).
Attachments
ubi.zip
(954.1 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Well, the Polish and Russian versions include an extra Slapdash in FC, so at least one has to be official.
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

PluMGMK wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:24 pm Well, the Polish and Russian versions include an extra Slapdash in FC, so at least one has to be official.
Good Lord, an extra Slapdash! That would affect the entire maximum score system! Where? Where? :mrgreen:

This is interesting information; I may want to add a section to the Rayman 3 wiki page, about translations and localizations (unless there is already an article about this somewhere on the Wiki), so give me all the information you have! :D
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique
Tings: 25637

Post by StelzenBomber »

i didnt know this existed,cool
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

dr_st wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:20 am
PluMGMK wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:24 pm Well, the Polish and Russian versions include an extra Slapdash in FC, so at least one has to be official.
Good Lord, an extra Slapdash! That would affect the entire maximum score system! Where? Where? :mrgreen:
He's just standing there when you enter the council building (the first room of part 3). Cut (aka Fluorineer) did a stream on Twitch before where he tried to see if it could improve the maximum score. I don't think it ended up being very useful though.
Nve
Chasseur

Post by Nve »

dr_st wrote: This is interesting information; I may want to add a section to the Rayman 3 wiki page, about translations and localizations (unless there is already an article about this somewhere on the Wiki), so give me all the information you have! :D
Information about the polish version is already in the polish Rayman 3 article. I have a copy of it in very good condition.
The polish one is official but it isn't translated directly by Ubisoft but by Empik. It was released at 16 of May 2003. Other games till RRR were also translated by other companies (Rayman 2, Rayman M, RRR2 and probably Rayman Junior). It's a very good translation but a few dialogues are still in English. The game came on 3 CDs with a manual.
dr_st wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 pm It uses a different UBI.BIK logo intro video (attaching it here after converting to AVI and zipping); I believe it is an older video that was also used for Rayman M. For comparison, this is the commonly used Rayman 3 intro logo.
Polish version uses the older one.
PluMGMK wrote: He's just standing there when you enter the council building (the first room of part 3). Cut (aka Fluorineer) did a stream on Twitch before where he tried to see if it could improve the maximum score. I don't think it ended up being very useful though.
Sometimes it can hit you when you have no chance to dodge due to the cutscene. I have no idea why they put it there. If someone will not overtake me I will upload a screenshot of this enemy on the wiki.

Btw it would be nice to upload the Hebrew manual to the wiki in the better quality.
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

Nve wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:48 pm Btw it would be nice to upload the Hebrew manual to the wiki in the better quality.
To do so I'm going to need a tool to do Hebrew OCR on a PDF + image alignment and cropping. Got any recommendations? :)

For now I've been having fun just replaying the game in Hebrew. There is one bug I've spotted - if you get 100% score in a level - the number is not visible on the transition screen; for any number below 100%, it shows the number but without the % sign.
Nve
Chasseur

Post by Nve »

dr_st wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:39 pm To do so I'm going to need a tool to do Hebrew OCR on a PDF + image alignment and cropping. Got any recommendations? :)
Personally, I uploaded the Polish manual scanned by my printer and edited it by the default printer program. I would recommend checking the installation disc (not game files but disc) because I found prepared Polish manual in mine (for some reason that manual has bad quality images and background).
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Any other interesting stuff in the translation, dr_st?
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

Well, every dialog plays a bit different, but so far I haven't found anything major. I've only gotten past Land of the Livid Dead so far, and I guess there is a somewhat meaningful dialog change at the beginning of the Desert of the Knaaren:

In English, Globox says "Quick, get in the shade!" as he runs off to jump down into the crevasse. In Hebrew they changed it to "Quick, get onto the bones" - serving more as a "tip" to Rayman than an accurate description of Globox's actions.

What I can say is that (so far, at least) they did a good job with the voice actors (like for the Teensie doctors) faithfully reproducing the tone and style of the English ones.
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

Playing some more through Desert of the Knaaren, I noticed the following:
  • Horrible mistake in translation of the Teensie introducing the Knaaren - he calls them "invisible" instead of "invincible"; actually it's a pretty common mistake, which suggests that the game was translated from English (since in other languages the words are probably not so similar).
  • Reflux's monologue when he corners Rayman seems to be cut short (I'll replay again to check if it's a one time glitch or not)
  • Reflux's name is changed to 'Flex'.
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

Huh, this information is quite interesting. Also how the entire box art with Rayman with the LockJaw in the Fairy Council is flipped to the other side for some reason.
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

So, having finally found time to go back to it and complete Desert of the Knaaren I can confirm two more editing mistakes in the cutscenes:
  • Reflux's monologue in the cutscene is indeed cut short; I guess they did not realize that the translated speech is longer than the video.
  • Some of Globox's speech in the cutscene is not translated (left in English).
Found nothing wrong in the cutscene after the Desert of the Knaaren, though.