Rayman himself

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
TTK
Poilu
Tings: 2035

Re: Rayman himself

Post by TTK »

Mortamon Saturn
Razoff
Tings: 32995

Post by Mortamon Saturn »

Marx-Y wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:32 am I thinking something about the Ubiart games.
The Ubiart games lack some gameplay elements that are major part for Rayman, like the Plums, a equivalent of purple lums, etc. Also, the characters design and the musics has different feeling than the originals three Rayman games. including the logos for every Ubiart games that looks different to the originals games.
Although Origins and Legend are considered from the mainline games. I thinking that both games with other Ubiart Rayman games are from other line (including the mobile games). generally sometimes I see that the mobile games appear simultaneously with Origins and Legends, like if the games has a connection, not only for use the same engine and aesthetic. It began with Origins, end with Mini.
Origins isn't a sequel or prequel of the original three games, it's actually a reboot. Although was originally intended for be a prequel for Rayman 1.
while the Rayman from the originals three games since Rayman 1 to Rayman 3 is still waiting.
That’s pretty much my thoughts on these games. It doesn’t really feel like they are part of the same series, as if the Rayman we knew back then was replaced by a different character after Rayman 3, despite having the same appearance.
Honestly, I wish we could go back to what the original trilogy had built. UbiArt games are great platformers but they should have been their own series of games rather than being something made using the Rayman franchise, just like what the Rabbids should have been from the beginning.
Vive Rayman et les prunes !:angel:

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

It's time to Rock 'n' Run!
azoo
Lums Jaune
Tings: 150

Post by azoo »

I think the UbiArt games highly resemble 1-3 aesthetically, and I can see much of how the gameplay evolved from 1. The only games other than 1 to have a run button, even.

That said I do agree that its still very different. It focuses itself too much on “speedy platforming” compared to the puzzles and combat of the first three games, and I think a Rayman game without his ability to shoot his fists (or energy balls in 2’s sake) around no longer feels like a true Rayman game. Definitely still fun, well made games, but I digress.

Another thing is that the world of those games I feel goes a bit too far into the “this is silly” angle. Even with the surreal worlds and sense of humor in 1-3, there were still elements they wanted you to take seriously, to some extent. The overtly jokey vibe of the UbiArt games definitely gives those titles “side game” energy even if they aren’t really.

I do think you can bring some of those characters and worlds in Origins or Legends into a slightly more self-serious world, or at least blend them with what 1-3 have. Same with the gameplay really, I’d like to see a game quicker paced than 2/3 but slower than Origins/Legends if they made a new 3D title; find a way to include running, wall jumping and close range attacks with more aiming, shooting and exploring.

I’d just hope that if they ever made a new 3D Rayman (as if..) it wouldn’t try to purely adapt the UbiArt games world and gameplay, it’d be the ultimate monkey paw situation. lol
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Rayman Saturn wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:09 pm UbiArt games are great platformers but they should have been their own series of games rather than being something made using the Rayman franchise, just like what the Rabbids should have been from the beginning.
Now I'm thinking it would have been much better to have Globox Origins and Globox Legends instead: isn't he a much more fitting character for the goofy atmosphere of those games?
dr_st
Eig
Tings: 40813

Post by dr_st »

Indeed, and the artbook even explains a thing or two about Globox's origins. This has been documented in the wiki:
Globox used to be red, but one day while he was eating berries, he mistook a blue mosquito for a berry, and ate it. From inside Globox's belly, the mosquito called for help, and hundreds of other blue mosquitoes came to sting Globox. When they left him, Globox's red skin was covered in painful blue welts. These eventually seeped into his skin, turning it blue.
Mortamon Saturn
Razoff

Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:28 pm Now I'm thinking it would have been much better to have Globox Origins and Globox Legends instead: isn't he a much more fitting character for the goofy atmosphere of those games?
That’s actually a very interesting point of view on the matter. :idea:

It could also have been more interesting to develop Globox as a character: since he was always fearful, these games could have been an opportunity to show him grow into a courageous hero.
That’s also why the UbiArt games we got made even less sense (and nearly as much as Rayman M/Arena which was a spin-off with a goofy tone), since Globox suddenly is as much of a fighter as Rayman and shows absolutely no trouble fighting every enemy he comes across, which is again very similar to how he behaved in M.

Every Rayman game made by Michel Ancel since Rayman M seems to have the same issue of dropping pretty much everything that was written in Rayman 1 and 2, and while it was perfectly OK with M it doesn’t make sense for the other games. Look at Raving Rabbids and the UbiArt games, none of them care about the story and its originally more serious tone and just decided to replace it with some crazy humour mostly consisting of characters doing stupid things and screaming all around.
It’s as if he decided to express his desire for deeper stories only in games like Beyond Good & Evil and to completely get rid of it for his original platformer franchise, to the point of destroying what little consistency it had by this point.

That’s why I’ll never consider Rayman Origins as Rayman 4 or even as a main title. It’s way too different, both when it comes to its universe and to its gameplay.
Every game in the original trilogy may have had many differences, but it stayed consistent enough with the ranged combat and slower-paced platforming and pretty much any change in the story could be explained in some way with a bit of theorising, while the many retcons in Origins break too many things to make sense unless we fully embrace the "dream" theory.

Now that I remember it, here’s a meme I made a while ago about "Rayman 4". :noel:

Show me the real Rayman 4.png
Show me the real Rayman 4.png (979.6 KiB) Viewed 4716 times
Can’t wait for that 4th Rayman 4. :hap:
No, Hoodlums’ Revenge doesn’t count.

Marx-Y
Magicien Ptizetre
Tings: 2425

Post by Marx-Y »

Well, the early plot of RRR before the rabbids plot was, Rayman is helping a several hurt kid, this plot was intended to be take serious, but that plot don't had potential for enemies, was for this reason because this plot was scrapped.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I couldn't agree more regarding the differences between the two series, and it makes perfect sense that Ancel tried to do something new with Rayman since he got tired of the character more than 15 or even 20 years ago.
azoo
Lums Jaune
Tings: 150

Post by azoo »

I feel like looking back on Ancel’s whole career, not just Rayman, that he seemed easy to grow disinterested in his ideas and would start over on his concepts repeatedly. It’s not just Origins/Legends vs 1-3, the major differences between 1-3 are also pretty huge, and so is BGE compared to its sequel (which may never come out). Ancels been said on BGE2 to have thrown away loads of progress repeatedly for new ideas, which caused quite a bit of drama soon after his leave from UbiSoft (and might be related to such, even).

That kinda checks out when you notice how Rayman 1 was completely restarted like three times (one on SNES, the Jaguar version and then the PS1/PC/Saturn versions) and there was also so many differences in the game’s story (like three different versions iirc, right?), the fact that they started Rayman 2 in 2D before starting over in 3D, the dozens of differences in all of Rayman 2’s versions, how R2 holds little to no connection to the first game’s lore or content, and how Raving Rabbids underwent a huge transformation that abandoned not only the original three games, but was going to go against their lore and setup in the first place, considering he just wanted to make a parody of action films from the era rather than stick to what was established.

And although he wasn’t directly part of 3’s production, he seemed to be responsible for pushing Rayman to have a new design and thus a new, sillier/edgier(?) direction for the game, after the game already had a good bit of finished story and design.

In short while I appreciate all his works, I think Ancel just had a habit of starting over from scratch, often to the harsh detriment of game development. lol I’d like to hope someone at Ubi could take the mantle, but I can’t help but wonder who would be willing.
Marx-Y
Magicien Ptizetre

Post by Marx-Y »

I see the Michel Ancel's works and the only notable Rabbids that he appear credited are just the Rayman games (you know, RRR, RRR2 and RRRTVP). but Michel appear credit in the mobile Rayman games like Jungle run, Fiesta run and Adventures. Really Michel disliked the Rabbids too?
Although Michel created the Rabbids, but with the propose for be the antagonists of RRR when was intended for be fourth major installment. but when the team change the original ideas created by Michel Ancel like story and gameplay features, for create a Party game, Michel left the project, he was credited by created the original concept.
Marx-Y
Magicien Ptizetre

Post by Marx-Y »

I don't know if somebody knew this.
in the game called Cosmic Family, Rayman do a cameo for some many seconds:

(20:57 to 21:00)
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

The person grabs and crushes him. Feels appropriate...
Mortamon Saturn
Razoff

Great find! I remember seeing the original Windows version of this game in one of the commercials from the Rayman Animated Series’ DVD!
Feels also strangely appropriate considering how much Ubisoft tries to ‘crush and hide’ Rayman nowadays. :noel:

Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

I'll try to watch it later (timestamps would be appreciated).
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Timestamps like this one? :P
Marx-Y wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:07 am (20:57 to 21:00)
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

PluMGMK wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:30 pm Timestamps like this one? :P
Marx-Y wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:07 am (20:57 to 21:00)
For some reason I didn't see them :confus:, I was busy with other stuff. Thanks.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks Elite for adding this to the wiki!
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

I think the last thing on the pending list is the Rayman tattoo that Memphis Depay has, I'll try to upload that later.

Btw, props to Mathilde Bresson for not forgeting about Rayman:
We couldn’t think of a better place to establish our first location than in the region of Montpellier, home of the Ubisoft studio that created our iconic characters Rayman and Rabbids.
Marx-Y
Magicien Ptizetre

Post by Marx-Y »

This joke new don't has context, but whatever.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

That thing has me both laughing and crying inside…