The Neverhood Thread

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 137530

The Neverhood Thread

Post by Bradandez »

The Neverhood is part of the creative issue of Doug TenNapel, creator of such games as Earthworm Jim. It is a claymated puzzle adventure Point-and-Click Game starring Klaymen, who wakes up in a locked room with no knowledge of what he's doing there or where he came from. There are very few other characters, and for most of the game Klaymen is alone, but fairly early on you begin discovering videotapes, apparently some kind of weird fairytale narrated by one Willie Trombone, the same person whose letters keep showing up in your mailbox...
A PlayStation port of The Neverhood was released exclusively in Japan, where the game became unexpectedly popular under the title Klaymen Klaymen: Neverhood no Nazo. This eventually led to a technically unofficial Gaiden Game, Klaymen Gun Hockey, made by the the Japanese publishers of the game, River Hill Soft, also not released outside Japan.
The game's developers, also known as The Neverhood, produced two other clay-animated games for the PlayStation before disbanding: Skullmonkeys, a sequel to The Neverhood but in a different genre, and the Fighting Game Boombots, unconnected to their other games aside from the presence of Klaymen as a Guest Fighter. The game's Spiritual Successor, Armikrog, is currently in Kickstarter phase.
I've been wanting to make this topic for a long time. Here's the Neverhood thread! The thread you can talk about both the Neverhood,Skullmonkeys, and Armikrog! I discovered the Neverhood this May and I've loved it ever since. Then I discovered Skullmonkeys which I loved just as much. I haven't played either of them but I've seen footage that makes me love both games. The soundtrack is my favorite soundtrack for video game of all time. It bursts in variety and is very fitting for such a surrealistic game. I also love the animation! It's fucking claymation! I loved this form of animation ever since I was a wee lad! And Doug TenNaple made this game! He made Earthworm Jim for crying out loud! These games are just so awesome! And its spiritual successor, Armikrog, is being developed too. So that's something!

Anybody else a fan or familiar with these games?
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Re: The Neverhood Thread

Post by Master »

I am ashamed to say, that I am not.
However, it does look relatively interesting.
Stryj
Photographe
Tings: 420

Post by Stryj »

Bradandez wrote:
The Neverhood is part of the creative issue of Doug TenNapel, creator of such games as Earthworm Jim.
Tennapel didn't make any game except the Earthworm Jim series, till The Neverhood quasi-trilogy.

And, I'm extremely excited about Armikrog coming for Wii U <3
3DS FC: 0748-2342-8018
Wii U ID: Stryjek
Cairnie
Murfy
Tings: 85030

Post by Cairnie »

I had an ISO of the Neverhood before and I was given a VMWare setup of Windows 95 so I could play it fully (ie without having the 1st person FMVs cut) but beyond the graphics and audio, both of which were really creative, the gameplay was a bit lacklustre if I remember right, just a point and click and nothing more, I never even beat it.

Armikrog got me into a bit of a dilemma because of the controversy around TenNapel being anti-gay and people were being all "it's them or us" about it. In the end I did chip, not much, about $10 with no rewards, because despite all that I didn't want to see it fail to reach its goal. Just hope it does come out good in the end.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer

Post by Bradandez »

I give you that. The gameplay is the only lacking part of the game. I still enjoy its animation and soundtrack. It has a charm unlike other games I played do not have.
Thebananacrafter!
Robot Ninja
Tings: 3345

Post by Thebananacrafter! »

This topic is very inactive but i love skullmonkeys for the ps1 its a sequel to the neverhood im up the monk rushmore
Last edited by Thebananacrafter! on Sat May 23, 2015 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
HEY callin from Springfeel
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer

Post by Bradandez »

I find Skullmonkeys to have the better music in the series.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

It is the first time I hear about the game, actually.
OCG
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9905

Post by OCG »

I played this game on PS1 (people should be confused since they know first game ususally from PC version but it was also on PS1 as Japan exclusive) but only a bit since I am not that good at point and click games.
I admit I am way more intrested in sequel because it is a 2D platformer.

Soundtrack in first game is amazing though:
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer

Post by Bradandez »

Well duh! The Neverhood and Skullmonkeys have some of the best music in video games, but I have to say that Skullmonkeys has some of the better music.
Cairnie
Murfy
Tings: 85030

Post by Cairnie »

I really want to get Skullmonkeys but god that game is expensive. They had it at a con some time back and wanted £20 for it and I was like nope.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff
OCG
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9905

Post by OCG »

Japanese version is sorta cheap and probably best alternative.
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer

Post by Bradandez »

I really want to play Skullmonkeys. It looks like such a fun, yet difficult game.
Thebananacrafter!
Robot Ninja
Tings: 3345

Post by Thebananacrafter! »

Skullmonkeys is a game filled with frustration but i made it to Worm graveyard today :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY callin from Springfeel
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer

Post by Bradandez »

So Armikrog got a new trailer and looks incredible! And the tune is catchy as hell!
mr.skeletal700
Lums Rouge
Tings: 55

Post by mr.skeletal700 »

Evil engine number nine is the fucking hardest level of this game its so rage inducing I just wanna throw my controller around the room because of this level
Mr skeletal coming to spook you
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer

Post by Bradandez »

That level sure does look hard. Though, I can't say for myself seeing as I never played it.
mr.skeletal700
Lums Rouge
Tings: 55

Post by mr.skeletal700 »

Once you play it you will break 1 or 2 controllers
Mr skeletal coming to spook you
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer

Post by Bradandez »

Seems that Armikrog's release date has been pushed from August 18th to September 8th.
Crash267
Bracadabreur
Tings: 3961

Post by Crash267 »

amazing games series I Remember they let me be admin for the wiki last year lost my account though
Attachments
Skullmonkeys rock!
Skullmonkeys rock!
Screenshot 2021-08-04 103224.png (31.45 KiB) Viewed 844 times
pick a Snow cone? :mefiant: :manger: :lol:
red snow cone? https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAE
Blue snow cone?https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/christma ... nouncement
Green snow conehttps://www.jibjab.com/view/make-previe ... 5e53dabe23
CHRISTMAS! has came hooray hooray have a good day :noel: :noelfou: :noelnoir: