Better Rayman 3 HD

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Madder
Oiseau Rouge
Tings: 140

Better Rayman 3 HD

Post by Madder »

Better Rayman 3 HD Logo.png
Better Rayman 3 HD Logo.png (1.96 MiB) Viewed 57 times
Rayman 3 - Hoodlum Havoc has never looked better before on PC, they said.

Well... now it looks even better!

I present you Better Rayman 3 HD!

But what is ecxactly? Well, as the name suggest, this is a better version of the HD texture pack for Rayman 3 on PC made by TRJTA that I created.

But now you'll probably wonder why there was the need to have an even better HD texture pack than the one made by TRJTA. Well, because, even if it is true that TRJTA's texture pack have a lot of improvements, it also have a lot of imperfections and textures consistency problems. For exemple, since that texture pack was made using the 4K texture pack made by Hakyra as a base, with a combinations of improved textures made by TRJTA and a lot of other textures taken from the official Rayman 3 HD, the end resoult is generally good, but there are . To be short, Hakyra's 4K textures are most of the times better than the official Rayman 3 HD ones, but other times they look like shit due to the technical limitations he had at the time he made his 4K texture pack. Combine this with a lot of poorly upscaled textures from the official Rayman 3 HD and a lot of... "questionable" textures edits by TRJTA and the resoult it's... very hit and miss.

In any case, I'm happy to announce that I fixed most of the problems of that texture pack.

I basically checked every single texture of the game in all the texture packs available to choose the best looking ones (or the less shittiests ones, in most cases), and also tried to ensure some consistency between certain types of textures, but I'll explain it better in a moment.

The texture packs I used for this project are:

• Rayman 3 HD for PC (made by TRJTA)
  • Rayman 3 HD official (made by Ubisoft)
  • Rayman 3 4K (made by Hakyra)
  • Rayman 3 for PC (the original textures from the PC version)

The only two textures I took from the original PC version are the orange spikes texture (that appears when Rayman charges his fist), and the red spikes texture (that appears when Rayman takes a hit), because the game doesn't scale those two textures, so if they're bigger than theyr original resolution they will appear incorrectly in the game.

Other than that, what is really "better" in this texture pack than TRJTA's texture pack? Well, a lot of things.

First of all, not only did I choose the best textures from every texture pack available, but I also made sure to make a level of consistency between the textures. For exemple, most of the environmental textures, like the rocks, the plants, the grass, the snow and the woods (both as "forest environment" and "material") were taken from the official Rayman 3 HD. Most of the textures of the characters, the enemies and the creatures were instead took from Hakyra's 4K texture pack. Some times I just couldn't make a decent level of consistency between some textures because some of them for a certain type did not look good, so I had to use the same ones from another texture pack and sacrifice some consistency in order to include only the most decent textures, as I prioritize quality over consistency.

In the end I menaged to make the best mix between quality and consistency I could get, and not only that, but I personally modifed and fixed some textures myself, adjusting some deteils here and there where I could, adding an even better level of quality to the texture pack.

Here there are some of the things that I fixed and/or improved over TRJTA's texture pack:

• The logo in the opening screen presented a badly cutted shadow, so I used the logo from the 4K texture pack to replace it, which also doesn't have the official Rayman 3 "HD" edited part on top of it, so it looks much cleaner.
  • The main menu has been drastically improved, thanks to a combination of textures from the 4K texture pack and the official Rayman 3 HD textures for the UI.
  • The color of the energy circles and the energy lasers of the colored cans has been changed from yellow (official Rayman 3 HD) to purple (the original color).
  • The new red lums were changed with the ones from the official Rayman 3 HD in TRJTA's texture pack, but only in the second cnt file, resoulting in the new red lums using the textures from the official Rayman 3 HD only from the Desert of the Knaaren onwards. I fixed it adding the same texture to the first cnt file too.
  • When Rayman takes a hit or uses the grimace to convert the black lums into red lums, the red lums don't appear because theyr textures were totaly black. Now they are perfectly restored.
  • Céloche's textures were recolored in green water to appear with the right colors underwater, but since it's also visible before going underwater, I found it a change not worth it, so I gave it it's original textures without recoloring.
  • The water in Clearleaf Forest was darkened out, so I replaced it with the same texture from the 4K texture pack, which is brighter and more in line with the original texture.
  • The acid in the first and fourth section of The Desert of the Knaaren was replaced with a flat green texture. I fixed that at the same way as the water.
  • The rising lava in the Hoodlum Headquartes... same problem as the acid in The Desert of the Knaaren, same fixes.
  • The rising lava in the second section of The Tower of the Leptys was changed from red to yellow, as a leftover from the official Rayman 3 HD. Once again, I fixed it by replacing it with the same texture from the 4K texture pack, which has the right color.
  • The general UI has been tweaked lot, not only replacing every texture of the UI from the official Rayman 3 HD to the 4K texture pack, but also adding a few fixes to make it even better. The "2X" that appears in the center of the circle that indicates the duration of the combat fatigues when Rayman uses one of them is now more centered and is contained in the circle, and the score counter has been polished too, correcting the position of the number 4 and 7 to have the same height of the other numbers. Also, the white borders of the bottom part of the score counter, which they went outside the number boxes, are now perfectly cutted (well, not so perfectly, due to the textures alignment, but it's still an improvement over the original texture).
  • Some of the textures from the 4K texture pack have been adjusted, mostly cutting out some artifacts easy to remove, such as: the manual, the battleship radar, the platforms on the background in the longest section of the third funkyboard level, the spirit tower wall textures (also used as ceiling in the Heart of the World, for the Heart of the World itself, as floor in the longest section of the third funkyboard level, and as stars on the skybox in the third section of The Summit Beyond the Clouds), the rain, some lightnings textures, some lights textures, some shadows textures, the floating platform in the Fairy Council and the blue indicator that appears when an enemy is locked and Rayman is too far from it.
  • The "flat color" textures have been better upscaled, like some funkyboard textures and some light effects textures.
  • The ground texture in the Racket Jump minigame was very bad looking, and the UI too. I fixed even those.
  • The Crush minigame used the same textures from the Razoff's basement, so I changed them restoring the original textures exclusive to that minigame.
  • The tiles textures in the 2D Madness minigame have been changed back to the original PC ones, due to textures consistency problems with the official Rayman 3 HD ones.
  • The font has been changed back to the original PC one, since I found the shadowed font in TRJTA's texture pack not very nice looking, and I couldn't find a better upscaled font anywhere, so I just used the original PC font.

To sum it up, most of the textures for the levels have been taken from the official Rayman 3 HD, and some of the improved textures made by TRJTA have been left (not all of them have been left due to textures consistency problems). The 4K textures have been used for pretty much anything else.

You can compare TRJTA's texture pack and the version I redefined for yourslef, texture by texture. And if you want to change something, feel free to do it as you like.

Keep in mind though that this texture pack, while good, is far from perfect. I looked everywhere to find the best textures I could find in all the texture packs available, so at the moment that's basically the best that this texture pack can get, in terms of quality and texture consistency. Also, for the time I made this texture pack, my graphic design skill level is extremely low, and I was only able to do very basic stuff. Obviously there is a ton of room for improvement, and maybe in the future I could retry this when I'll have more skills, but for now, this is the best that I could do.

I should also mention that this texture pack fit perfectly in the standard cnt files and doesn't require to switch the textures at any time in the game (just how it was in TRJTA's texture pack, but unlike Hakyra's 4K texture pack). You don't even need to install the patch that increase the cnt files size from 2Gb to 4Gb, so you don't need to worry about that.

I talked so much about what the project is like but still haven't include a way to actually download it; my bad, I'll fix it right now.

Here's the download link for the texture pack:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7q0tteqj ... D.zip/file

To install it, first download and install Rayman Control Panel. Then replace the files in the gamedatabin folder of the game with the ones included in the texture pack. Alternaitvely you can click on Open Archives on Rayman Control Panel and replace all the folders with the ones included in the texture pack (note: do not click on the option "replace" to do this operation, instead you have to click on "import", and then select the folder you want to use to replace the current ones), and then click on Save Archives. After you've done either of the two methods, click on Synchronize Textures, and after the process ends you're good to go.

In conlusion, I know this texture pack is really not that great all things considered, but I did try my best, not only to fix everything that was messed up in TRJTA's texture pack, but also to improve some stuff even more. Hope you will appreciate it.
Last edited by Madder on Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:00 pm, edited 21 times in total.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8652

Re: Better Rayman 3 HD

Post by deton24 »

Fonts in some languages (like Polish, Slovak or Hebrew) can be broken after installing this mod. Download this to fix it:
https://mega.nz/folder/AvhykC6b#Ca13cB890Edcy_4TFZG8KA
Hebrew font:
https://raymanpc.com/forum/download/file.php?id=8710

Thank you for your hard work!
Probably it's finally time for me to check those, AI upscales, because I didn't do it since Hakyra or TRJTA made their mods.

Did you try to fix some problems with seamlessness of the textures, or it's the Hakyra goal while releasing new Rayman 3 Ultimate 4K UHD mod?
Madder
Oiseau Rouge

Post by Madder »

Not ecxactly. I just replaced some textures with the ones that were more consistent with the others of the same gruop, aside for some ecxeptions that I had to do due to the fact that some textures were too unusable in both the official HD port and the 4K pack of Hakyra, or other times where I had to replace some better textures of the HD pack of Hakyra and TRJTA to keep the textures of a certain group consistent, so I had to found the best balance between quality and consistency. Other than that, I adjusted some textures where I could, like this for exemple:
lan_effetour01.png
lan_effetour01.png (64.98 KiB) Viewed 9600 times
This is from the HD pack of Hakyra and TRJTA
lan_effetour01.png
lan_effetour01.png (92.42 KiB) Viewed 9600 times
This is the same texture that I modified

If you pay attention, you'll notice that the texture I modified is musch less "shitted" than the one of the HD pack of Hakyra and TRJA. That's because this is a flat-colored texture, so it's super simple to fix with programs like GIMP and Microsoft Paint, even a kid could do this.

Here is another exemple:
wood_veg11.png
wood_veg11.png (2.72 MiB) Viewed 9600 times
This is from the HD pack of Hakyra and TRJTA
wood_veg11.png
wood_veg11.png (209.94 KiB) Viewed 9600 times
This is the same texture that I modified

First of all, this was taken from the 4K pack of Hakyra, so I changed it using the same texture from the official HD port, and I did that for every texture of this group, in this case: forest terrain, grass, wood, mushrooms, plants and so on, all taken from the HD port to be consistent (and also because all of these textures were too badly upscaled in the 4K pack). And then I removed that ugly line above the grass, that you can clearly see on the borders of the building in the Fairy Council, it was so simple that I said to myself "Hey, if I can fix the problems of the textures of the original game why don't do it?".

So that's basically what I did for this texture pack, again, nothing too special. This texture pack it's just a "correction pack" so to speak, and since I wanted to do it I did it, but this is as far as my skills go, at least for now. Most probably, in the future I could do way more, but for now, that's all I was able to do. Hope to have been helpful in some way.
Last edited by Madder on Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
humus.tov
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by humus.tov »

deton24 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:23 pm Fonts in some languages (like Polish, Slovak or Hebrew) can be broken after installing this mod. Download this to fix it:
https://mega.nz/folder/AvhykC6b#Ca13cB890Edcy_4TFZG8KA

Thank you for your hard work!
Probably it's finally time for me to check those, AI upscales, because I didn't do it since Hakyra or TRJTA made their mods.

Did you try to fix some problems with seamlessness of the textures, or it's the Hakyra goal while releasing new Rayman 3 Ultimate 4K UHD mod?
hi brother, are there suppose to be any more than just weird looking PNG files on the link you sherd? don't really know what to do with those.
my Hebrew version goes like in the pictures:
Attachments
ג'יבריש ריימן 3 HD.png
ג'יבריש ריימן 3 HD.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 6077 times
ג'יבריש ריימן 3.png
ג'יבריש ריימן 3.png (1.79 MiB) Viewed 6077 times
hgdagon
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by hgdagon »

Please reupload the mod. The link no longer works.
Madder
Oiseau Rouge

Post by Madder »

The link to to my MediaFire zip file with Better Rayman 3 HD was broken for a few months, but now it works again. I don't know how it was broken and I don't know how it was fixed, but now it works again, so that's what matter.
Madder
Oiseau Rouge

Post by Madder »

Good idea. This would prevent any kind of trouble in the future, although, in the end, my link was fixed, It's always better to make a backup. Thanks for your help, is very appreciated.
klinacz
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by klinacz »

deton24 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:42 pm Hakyra instruction how to install the font patch:

1. Open RCP Rayman 3, Settings, Utilities and Open Archive Explorer.
2. Now:
https://raymanpc.com/forum/storage/2982 ... 87f47671cd
3. https://raymanpc.com/forum/storage/2982 ... c469f6ac47

4. If you have a problem with misplaced HUD elements:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Rayma ... ts.5B11.5D

edit. Seems like you've moved the discussion here (read it if still nothing with Hebrew version):
https://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1452420
Thanks a lot!!! This forum has a marvellous community!
mrpenguinb
Lums
Tings: 25

Post by mrpenguinb »

The Knaaren levels have glitched textures, only the background skybox is unaffected. Not sure why. My copy of the game is from Australia, if that has any impact.

For some reason the problem resolved itself. *shrug*
k0lter
Électoon
Tings: 20

Post by k0lter »

Can you make a version of the HUD for the controllers? There is the one ripped out of the PS3 version, but that isn't fully adjusted for 16:9 AR.
Madder
Oiseau Rouge

Post by Madder »

Sorry for the extremely late reply but no; this project has officially been closed time and time ago, and I will not do anymore edits to it, however, as I said in the post itself, I may try to redo this in a much better way.

In the meantime, if you want HUDs for the more modern controllers, you can check this:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... GZXmmUI30Q

I know you already knew about the HUDs ripped from the HD versions but there is currently no way to satisfy your request more than this. The HUDs are surely horribly upscaled but they are adjusted for 16:9 aspect ratio. In case you think they're not, you can try edit them yourself with some basic image resizing.