Rayman ReDesigner

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Mortamon Saturn
Razoff
Tings: 32995

Re: Rayman ReDesigner

Post by Mortamon Saturn »

HI THERE. It’s been a while! Sorry for taking so long, but too many things took away my time (both very important and unimportant... because adult life is so much fun :mefiant:)!
I still have to finish the PPC and Palm OS versions of the next GBC world... but as it took too long since the last release and the Mr Dark boss fight is very "experimental", I need your feedback! So, in the meanwhile, here’s the demo for Arcane Forest! Quite a fitting world for Halloween, today! :bad:

It features all of the GBC levels and the Mr Dark battle! All of it is pretty much finished, but there can be room for improvements, especially when it comes to the boss! Tell me if everything works! :)

GBC Arcane Forest ReDesigned Demo.zip
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 79 times
Arcane Forest Music.zip
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
GBC Mr Dark ReDesigned.zip
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
Bonus Music.zip
(2.67 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
Map Music.zip
(2.54 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
You have to download everything and merge all the folders as I’m limited by the maximum-file sizes here. As a result, only the original GBC graphics are available for now, and Time Attack doesn’t have its music currently (same goes for Pirate Cage, despite the file name for Arcane Forest).
The Mr Dark folder not only contains his music but also some unused sprites that I intended to use as an "animation" when you defeat him like in the original, but custom graphics layer each other randomly and you can’t remove them after spawning them, so all I could do was a replica of the stage’s graphics with a frame of Mr Dark’s soul glued in the middle... It also contains a separate version of the level with only the Mr Dark boss, so you can test the battle far more easily and directly fight him as many times as you want!

As you would expect, Mr Dark had to be very different due to ReDesigner’s limitations, and tons of mechanisms had to be implemented into the stage (I barely even had the space :sad:)!
But the main concept is still here! Here’s how it goes:
-Phase 0: Mr Dark floats in front of you. Jump or simply climb on a higher platform and the battle will start.
-Phase 1: "Fireballs" fall from the sky. Dodge them. Be careful as I had to spawn them pretty low as they tend to have the time to fly immediately into walls when they’re placed higher. They’re really not as "vertical" as their original counterparts...
-Phase 2: Instead of Mr Dark’s ball form (which was the thing I couldn’t replicate at all obviously), he’ll appear three times within a big lava ball with a Coloured Boll behind him to pick up. Break the ball, grab the Boll (sounds very weird :hap:), and repeat until the next phase. Note that punching while jumping doesn’t do extra damage against them, but a barely charged fist can take them down quicker if you can dodge their fragments quickly enough afterwards!
-Phase 3: You get a health power-up and lava balls fall from the sky and will bounce on the ground until they meet a wall and explode. Dodge them and their projectiles.
-Phase 4: Phase 2 again, but Mr Dark’s spawning spots are in a different order and each "ball form" get an extra small lava ball.
-Phase 5: The hardest one! A health power-up appears again (use it wisely...), and Lightning enemies will fall (one of the ReDesigner easter eggs and the enemy which came from Dark Magician’s Reign of Terror), and you both have to dodge them and to destroy them once they make their way to the ground (and then dodge the resulting projectiles); otherwise they’ll progressively take over the whole arena! Watch out for the sky, react quickly, and you should make it to the final phase! That one can take some learning before you can go through it without any damage.
-Phase 6: Phase 4 again, but with yet another extra small lava ball and different spawning order! Also, the final Boll is replaced by a Coloured Ting, which will end the battle. You’ll become invincible (a safety measure in case you somehow allowed any enemy to survive), Mr Dark’s soul will appear in an explosion, then Exit Signs will appear on the whole stage after a few seconds!
Done! If you played the complete level version, this will make you finally reach the World Map (though you can’t replay Mr Dark’s battle from there, like in the original); otherwise the level will simply end!

Note that every "attack" phase uses as many projectiles as in the original game, though their behaviour and extra splitting projectiles here make them more dangerous! But considering how much faster you are in ReDesigner, the battle would have been too easy otherwise. By the way, don’t worry about Mr Dark’s curses as the whole arena is set inside a Curse Cleaner and so you’ll be instantly cured before even noticing any effect.
I’ve also changed the "walls" as you suggested, and now they’re like the boss walls featured in Rayman Redemption, but with the GBC style and colours! I couldn’t really use anything else from Arcane Forest’s environment, so that’s the best thing I could come up with. In the end, they really had their use considering how many Gendoors and Fairies I had to put inside! :noel: :oops2:
The idea for the walls is also slightly inspired by some old concept arts shared by Davide Soliani on Twitter, which revealed more of Mr Dark’s lair in Rayman GBC.

Making Phase 5 in particular was a nightmare... It was such a pain both to make it and to test it that I had a headache by the end of it! :confus:
I originally tried to use Evil Eyes instead, but they don’t disappear and keep firing their lightning bolts at you continuously even in Phase 6, and so it was too different and tedious. The way they react to the camera also made them pretty dysfunctional...
Sadly, their replacement is incredibly fast and only explodes when you punch them (which would have made them way closer to Mr Dark’s original final chain of attacks), but that’s all I could do to have Mr Dark throwing some electricity at you while having a phase that’s both much longer and more challenging than the others (like originally).
The main issue with all these attacks is they can’t aim at you unlike in the GBC game, so I had to make it so every platform is targeted at some point or another to maintain the illusion. Honestly, I’m surprised I even managed to find a proper equivalent for everything!
It definitely was the biggest challenge in all of this project so far... Hope you’ll like it, and tell me if you think some things could be improved! :mryellow:

As for the levels themselves, aside from some of the usual issues (some collisions had to be changed, some Pink Rings or platforms and obstacles behaving differently), it should be fully functional! But as usual, make sure to report any oversight if there’s one!
The complete Redistributor release should be made in about a week, once I fix any possible issue and I make the other versions! I can’t really complete the other versions yet as long as I don’t know if everything is perfect, since they’re always based on a copy of the GBC file and as I try to avoid adding too much unnecessary work, so your feedback is important!
Have fun! :mrgreen:
Vive Rayman et les prunes !:angel:

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

It's time to Rock 'n' Run!
ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 10082

Post by ChronicTraitor »

Gave Arcane Forest a try the other night, definitely spot on! :mryellow:
I'm amazed at how rough the tiles looked, but it's how I remembered it at least. Fighting Mr. Dark was a lot of fun too, I had no problems with any of it. That concept art of his arena is really cool to see! I did have trouble with Level 2 though, specifically that last ring underneath the spring, above the spikes. I had to jump from that spiked pillar looking thing right before it to reach the ledge. :oops2:
Missing Slide Tile.jpg
Missing Slide Tile.jpg (197.97 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
Also where Rayman's standing there should be a slide tile, it was really jarring for him to stop all of a sudden. I even checked the 3DS port and you're able to slide that entire little part. The spiky fruit is also much lower here in the original so you can't walk under it.

Though I'd understand if it's due to the aforementioned corners you had to cut to get it to work in Redesigner.

Dark Legacy shouldn't be too far off now, I'm looking forward to it! :hap:
Mortamon Saturn
Razoff

ChronicTraitor wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:10 pm Gave Arcane Forest a try the other night, definitely spot on! :mryellow:
I'm amazed at how rough the tiles looked, but it's how I remembered it at least. Fighting Mr. Dark was a lot of fun too, I had no problems with any of it. That concept art of his arena is really cool to see! I did have trouble with Level 2 though, specifically that last ring underneath the spring, above the spikes. I had to jump from that spiked pillar looking thing right before it to reach the ledge. :oops2:
Glad to hear the level and especially the Mr Dark battle are working well! I really couldn't know how that one was going to be received as it's the most significant (and so most "controversial" change), so I'm happy to hear it was fun!

Yeah, that's a common problem with the rings' physics in ReDesigner as they're very different even compared to Rayman 1. :?
It's perfectly possible to grab on to the right side of the platform like the original, but it can be a pain when you're not fully used to Redemption/ReDesigner's rings (although that one specifically was pretty hard to pull off in the original too). Sorry about that, I'll see what I can do to make it better.
If I move the ring even slightly upwards to fix it, it's going to prevent Rayman from collecting the Tings nearby, so I'll probably have to move them as well...
ChronicTraitor wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:10 pm Missing Slide Tile.jpg
Also where Rayman's standing there should be a slide tile, it was really jarring for him to stop all of a sudden. I even checked the 3DS port and you're able to slide that entire little part. The spiky fruit is also much lower here in the original so you can't walk under it.

Though I'd understand if it's due to the aforementioned corners you had to cut to get it to work in Redesigner.

Dark Legacy shouldn't be too far off now, I'm looking forward to it! :hap:
Ah yeah, I noticed that too... In fact, the problem isn't that these tiles have been changed or forgotten but that Rayman reacts differently to them in ReDesigner.

Capture d’écran (30828).png
Capture d’écran (30828).png (85.45 KiB) Viewed 4719 times

As you can see, there are solid tiles directly below in the corners of the icy ones, which is what prevents Rayman from sliding correctly as he detects them despite the fact you don't actually walk on these collisions. I somehow forgot to change it after the test! Guess testing the Mr Dark so many times just messed with my brain! :oops2:
Thanks for reporting it and for even going through the trouble of taking a picture! This has been fixed for the final release (same for the fruit which I hadn't noticed due to crawling all the time in this part! The different hitboxes made it harder to notice too...). I'll probably revert the tiles to the original ones like I usually do for the Palm OS versions, but both the GBC and PPC versions will be changed appropriately.

As for Dark Legacy, I don't know when that'll happen as I still plan to do a special release of the world maps + Ubi Cliff with some extras before (possibly the completed skins if I can finally figure out how to fix Rayman's hair going off his head in some animations)... But it should be faster to make as there are no bonus stages at least... and no overly complicated "boss fight" to make with over 55 mechanisms condensed into a minuscule map! :fou2:

Well, in the meanwhile, here are Arcane Forest's oil-painted graphics and Time Attack's music for anyone who cares! :hehe:
GBC Arcane Forest ReDesigned Graphics.zip
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
Time Attack Music.zip
(2.42 MiB) Downloaded 73 times

Regarding Rayman 2 Forever... yeah... "September" is really overdue now. :hap:
At best that'll start in December... I'll probably expand the demo with one more level later that month at the very least. Due to how adult life is going to start eating up my time even more than before, I'll probably only do one or two worlds per month, but we'll really figure that out when it begins...
Oh, and I also made that meme a few months ago. :noel:

The Virgin Rayman 2 Forever VS. The Chad Rayman 1 GBC.png
The Virgin Rayman 2 Forever VS. The Chad Rayman 1 GBC.png (42.97 KiB) Viewed 4719 times

Sorry Rayman 2 Forever fans, but these two bonus screens fit that format way too well, so I just had to make it. :P
I actually like Forever, but there are so many things it could have done better! :winkgrin:

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Amazing, I'm really impressed that you managed to recreate the entire game, and amazingly well at that. Now you probably deserve a bit of rest. :winkgrin:
ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval

Post by ChronicTraitor »

Rayman Saturn wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:05 pm Thanks for reporting it and for even going through the trouble of taking a picture! This has been fixed for the final release (same for the fruit which I hadn't noticed due to crawling all the time in this part! The different hitboxes made it harder to notice too...).

As for Dark Legacy, I don't know when that'll happen as I still plan to do a special release of the world maps + Ubi Cliff with some extras before (possibly the completed skins if I can finally figure out how to fix Rayman's hair going off his head in some animations)...
Ah no problem, I'm glad to help out where I can. I never knew slide tiles behaved that way until now! I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever attempt to make something that isn't a single screen test level. :lol:

I'm very interested in the extra content stuff as well, sounds exciting!
Mortamon Saturn
Razoff

ChronicTraitor wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:24 pm Ah no problem, I'm glad to help out where I can. I never knew slide tiles behaved that way until now! I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever attempt to make something that isn't a single screen test level. :lol:
Well, good luck! I’ll be curious to see what you can create! :mrgreen:
I can help if you have any question about the editor!

I’ve moved the Tings and Ring we talked about slightly upwards in the GBC and PPC versions, making it slightly easier to grab the ledge!

So far, from what I’ve noticed, the PPC version doesn’t change much aside from a few tiles (like a few reactionary ones in level 2 or some "missing" icy tiles fixed in bonus 1)... and for some reason, they did the same thing as in Rainy Forest (in the Palm OS Color version if I remember correctly) and changed the platforms in two levels! In level 2, they replaced the platforms with the ones from the Spellbound Forest and placed them slightly higher! And to make it even weirder, in the second bonus, they replaced the Spellbound Forest platforms from the GBC version with the proper ones from Arcane Forest! Their decisions make no sense! :paranormal:
And now I have to adjust all of them again! Thanks for the extra work Ubisoft! Couldn’t you think about these poor nobodies on the Internet who were going to vaguely try to recreate your long forgotten 8-bit handheld game in a spaghetti-coded level editor twenty years later? :mefiant: :hap:
PPC version should be fully complete unless I find a mistake! Now moving on to the last ones!

I’ve also just realised something about the fourth level in Arcane Forest... Do we agree that it’s absolutely impossible to reach both this life down there and that platform near the bottom-right corner? I tried everything in the original game and analysed the linked captors on Ray1Map to try to even spawn them, but nothing works! Unless I’m missing something, I think we may be looking at a piece of broken/incomplete level design here!
I’ve even tried to hang on to the platform right above the life, and its Captor didn’t trigger despite the fact I was clearly inside!

The weirdest is the Captors, with the first one around the Cage supposed to killdoor another Captor (but it didn’t make any sound), and the said unreachable second Captor spawns the platform and killdoors the life’s gendoor! This makes no sense! :paranormal: :confus:
Was this an attempt to pay a tribute to the useless hidden chocolate platform in the last level of the original Rayman 1? :noelnoir:
Regardless, I’ll make it work in this project! Since I had to replace the Curse Cleaner (the "Checkpoint") with a Gendoor (as it would remove the inverted controls curse), I’ll use it to spawn the platform instead (I’ve also added another Gendoor with the same effect inside the "useless" Killdoor near the Cage)! I’ve also changed it so it moves on its own, so you can actually use it then grab the life with your fist once it appears (or you can hang on to the platform and grab it like this as I said)! Consider this a little "easter egg"! :mrgreen:
Capture d’écran (31000).png
Capture d’écran (31000).png (349.41 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
Capture d’écran (30999).png
Capture d’écran (30999).png (52.33 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
Now, here’s a first look at the other versions’ boss graphics! Do you like the new walls? :hehe:
Just like Rainy Forest, I made different walls for each version, trying to stay close to their respective level of detail and only using the exact same colours!
PPC Arcane Forest.png
PPC Arcane Forest.png (20.29 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
PalmOS Color Arcane Forest.png
PalmOS Color Arcane Forest.png (17.27 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
PalmOS Greyscale Arcane Forest.png
PalmOS Greyscale Arcane Forest.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
Also I’m pretty surprised at the level of visual quality of Mr Dark’s arena in the Greyscale version! The front almost looks like a concept art! Pretty impressive what they managed to make here with like... three or four shades of black and white! :lol:

Hunchman801 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:28 pm Amazing, I'm really impressed that you managed to recreate the entire game, and amazingly well at that. Now you probably deserve a bit of rest. :winkgrin:
There’s still quite some work left, but thanks! It’s a bit early to rest, but I’ll definitely take a break before Forever and a big one after both projects are really done! :mryellow:

ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval

Post by ChronicTraitor »

I always wondered what that corner was for! I always seem to fall into it and die because I somehow forget it exists. Given how rough edged looking Arcane Forest is it wouldn't surprise me if it was a broken leftover. Never heard of this hidden platform in Rayman 1 though, that's interesting! (As interesting as a useless platform can be, anywho...)
CosmicStrider
Barbara
Tings: 10700

Post by CosmicStrider »

You did a fantastic job Saturn! :up: Hopefully the rest of the other stuff you have left to do is a cakewalk. Though now I'm wondering what you'll do after Forever...Well, if anything at all. (I'm still looking forward to playing through Forever yet again!)
Mortamon Saturn
Razoff

HELLO EVERYONE! I HOPE YOU’RE ALL DOING GREAT!... Huh, why am I screaming!? BECAUSE IT’S FINALLY DONE! The last main Rayman GBC world and Mr Dark in Rayman ReDesigner: ARCANE FOREST!
U CANN FINAIALLY PLAEYE NOAW!1!!1! :fou:

Download: https://raydistributor.com/content/RAY-9YEH-OC

Four levels, two bonuses, one boss!
The final challenge! Well, the final one before the "true extra super duper dark Final Challenge™" that’ll come later! :noel:

I think pretty much everything has already been said about this awesome world in the previous posts!
Of course, I highly recommend that you use the True Boss Rush Mod made by Squiz to give Mr Dark his GBC colours! https://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1445654

But I did update some things! A few minor mistakes have been fixed, including the inverted controls when returning from the second bonus level which I had forgotten about! As such, I have placed another Mr Dark here so the curse can continue when you come back to the level (but he’ll despawn the first time you play if you go on the Cage’s platform as it contains the Killdoor originally meant to start the "broken" secret and which has been repurposed into removing this extra Mr Dark). The Jesters (which replace the "carnivorous" plants) also got wider Gendoors in the GBC and PPC variations so there are fewer chances they catch you off-guard!
I’ve also corrected the title which was "Ancient Forest" in the demo, because I just had to make that mistake again after that time I did on Twitter (a website which itself is a mistake... :sad: )! :oops2:

All versions look great (except the Greyscale one :beurk:, but you expected that by now, right? :hehe: ), although I’ll say the GBC version isn’t that inferior to the PPC and Palm Color ones, especially when it comes to the colours! Even the music is fine and each version has a different tone! As for the gameplay differences, it’s very consistent aside from the platforms in some levels as we already discussed! But the weirdest is that the POS Color world went even further and replaced the Arcane Forest platforms (except one :mefiant:) with the Spellbound Forest ones for the fourth level... and reverted the platforms in Bonus 2 to the ones used in the GBC version! What’s going on!? :paranormal:
Greyscale betrayed its Color equivalent and chose to become the GBC version with some minor changes again! It was surprisingly consistent here... but then, of course, it had to crap its Arcane pants in the fourth level by breaking a few tiles and by adding some unnecessary ones, because it just had to! :hap:

A few different things have been done regarding the Palm OS variations! I considered changing the Coloured Ting in the Mr Dark fight to red as I usually do in the Palm Color "port", but I abandoned that idea as it’s meant to be a reference to the blue "energy cores" from the original boss (but I still made it grey in Greyscale, of course). And most importantly, these versions’ world maps music have been changed specifically for this opportunity by replacing them with the Ending and Credits tracks!

As for the skins... Well, no improvements besides some minuscule changes to Dark Rayman. However, I added a Greyscale version for him and I fixed the Rayman Greyscale one which I had accidentally turned into its fist in the previous bundle and nobody even bloody noticed! :lol: :oops2:
I’ve also made a good bunch of quick new skins made very similarly to my ColorFun and DarkLight packs and which you can find in a new bonus folder
(alongside the "greenish" Game Boy Rayman introduced in the previous release). And I still don’t know how to fix some of the weird animations because I’m just so bad at spriting and ReDesigner is acting so picky with very different skins like that! :confus:
Anyway here’s the download! :mryellow:
Rayman GBC ReDesigned - Normal and Bonus Skins.zip
(417.15 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
The skin made by ShinyRaichu94 is still recommended if you prefer something more accurate to the original!
Finally, here’s these darn useless extra work for you "lighter" versions nobody should have any reason to care about! :fou2:
Of course, they come with some more "inverted changes" like before, because why not? :bad:
GBC - Arcane Forest.zip
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
PPC - Arcane Forest.zip
(2.54 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
PalmOS Color - Arcane Forest.zip
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
PalmOS Greyscale - Arcane Forest.zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 77 times

Have fun!... Because why wouldn’t you? Do you wish to be bored!? :pascontent:
See you next decade for Dark Legacy, see you next century for the finished skins and extras, and see you next millennium for Rayman 2 GBC and some actually original ReDesigner levels again and see you never for Rayman 4! :noelnoir:

ChronicTraitor wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 am I always wondered what that corner was for! I always seem to fall into it and die because I somehow forget it exists. Given how rough edged looking Arcane Forest is it wouldn't surprise me if it was a broken leftover. Never heard of this hidden platform in Rayman 1 though, that's interesting! (As interesting as a useless platform can be, anywho...)
I’ve even asked a friend who grew up with this game and he had no idea either... He didn’t even know the platform and the life existed! It's just so fascinating... It’s also funny how none of the other versions even fixed it (despite the fact one of them even bothered to change the platform’s type...)! So, it’s either definitely broken or the way to make all of this work is a complete mystery... Anyway, you can now enjoy this secret in ReDesigner! :winkgrin:
Can’t show the original Rayman 1 platform due to the file limit here, but it was even turned into one of the "Fight the Virus" easter eggs in Rayman Redemption:

Another interesting detail in Arcane Forest and the whole game is that many directional collisions are placed in some areas where they’re not needed at all, even on platforms meant to contain enemies where there are none. So either they placed some of them as a sort of template, or they probably removed a lot of enemies and platforms that could possibly lead to secrets (whether it was due to a lack of time, a mistake or a fear to overdo it with the secrets and obstacles is a mystery...).
It’s really curious how much seems to have been cut from this game or left unfinished and I’d love to know more about all of it!
CosmicStrider wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:15 am You did a fantastic job Saturn! :up: Hopefully the rest of the other stuff you have left to do is a cakewalk. Though now I'm wondering what you'll do after Forever...Well, if anything at all. (I'm still looking forward to playing through Forever yet again!)
Thanks a lot! Dark Legacy should be fine enough as it’s just four levels (though they are quite complicated), but I don’t know how much work the extras are going to be (though things like cutscenes shouldn’t be too hard as they’re just a glorified slideshow) and I’m not even sure I’m going to achieve a satisfying result with the skins... We’ll see where it goes!
Then I’ll just have to make a final compilation of everything with some extra changes and improvements (checkpoints, music with the missing beat...) and that should be it for this first project!

Afterwards, Rayman 2 Forever and perhaps... a big remix or "Redemption" treatment for both games if I can achieve something good enough! Not promising anything about that one, though. :oops2:
And I’ll finally be able to return to the millions of few ReDesigner projects I’ve left on hold for this remake! :noel: Like that Spooky RayDungeon that should be finished since 2020... or that anniversary update for Rock’n’Run... or that hub world level... or that crystal candy wonderland level with a huge mansion in a dream world... or that desert level... or that Dark Magician’s Reign of Terror sequel level... or that Chessmaster’s castle level... or that Rayman 3 balloon mini-game level... or that Christmas level... or that NiGHTS Into Dreams level... or that cheese planet level with Wallace & Gromit references... or that Rayman 4 troll level... I really gave myself too much work, didn’t I? :hap:

At least I should expand on the demo in the next weeks so you can play more of Forever in ReDesigner while I finish the previous game! :mrgreen:

CosmicStrider
Barbara
Tings: 10700

Post by CosmicStrider »

A NIGHTS Into Dreams level?

...Oh wow I still need to get that A rank in Stick Canyon. I was probably supposed to do that a few years ago but it slipped my mind...Ha. Haha.

Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate in terms of Raydesigner. I guess I'll wait for the Christmas months to get back to NIGHTS though, it's kind of a tradition of mine. It just feels weird to play it outside of December for some reason. I blame the Wii game's seasonal garden for that one.
ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval

Post by ChronicTraitor »

Rayman Saturn wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:51 pm Greyscale betrayed its Color equivalent and chose to become the GBC version with some minor changes again! It was surprisingly consistent here... but then, of course, it had to crap its Arcane pants in the fourth level by breaking a few tiles and by adding some unnecessary ones, because it just had to! :hap:
:mwahaha: (finally got to use this smiley!) I definitely got a great laugh out of this part!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets Ancient and Arcane Forest mixed up sometimes too. :lol:
Rayman Saturn wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:51 pm As for the skins... Well, no improvements besides some minuscule changes to Dark Rayman. However, I added a Greyscale version for him and I fixed the Rayman Greyscale one which I had accidentally turned into its fist in the previous bundle and nobody even bloody noticed! :lol: :oops2:
I don't use the grayscale skin but that sounds like a very interesting screwup! Makes me want to go redownload it just to see it...
Rayman Saturn wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:51 pm It’s really curious how much seems to have been cut from this game or left unfinished and I’d love to know more about all of it!
I find the concept art for GBC Rayman very cool to look at, I wonder how much was cut from the final too. There's only so much space on the gameboy color...Those other projects sound fun too!

I swear the text looks a bit chunkier on my last two quips but I've no idea why... :? It's because the quote about the greyscale skin included an unmatched bold tag. I've fixed it for you ;) ~PluM
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Congratulations on (almost) completing the project, Rayman Saturn. ☺️
Makopje
Lums
Tings: 45

Post by Makopje »

Does anyone know all of the objects/projectiles etc in ReDesigner that give off light?

So far I have
  • The firefly (obviously)
  • The Dino mount's flames
  • Evil eye's lightning bolts
  • All three lava balls
  • Lava
  • Stone man's lava balls
  • Magma man's flames
  • Magma man himself
  • Fire boy
  • Light Lum
  • Light butterfly
  • Lightbulbs
Am I missing any?
ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval

Post by ChronicTraitor »

ChronicTraitor wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:04 am It's because the quote about the greyscale skin included an unmatched bold tag. I've fixed it for you ;) ~PluM
Oh that's why, thanks for the fix PluM! I knew it was bold but had no idea why! :oops2:
Mortamon Saturn
Razoff

Alright! Here's some good news regarding the game! The "final fixes and additions" update is in the works and probably shouldn't take too long! Maybe we'll get it for the next anniversary, at this rate... :hehe:
https://gamejolt.com/p/final-fixes-and- ... y-p6yyigwt
So far, only the save bugfix is confirmed here (for the problem that occurs when you try to save in a directory other than "BundledLevels") and it also appears Space Mama herself will become available as an enemy (or an obstacle)! So it seems we may get more than originally expected!

Make your last suggestions while you still can! And yeah, I know, "release the source code" is the one on many people’s minds, but sadly it's the most unlikely thing we'll get on the plate... What!? You still don't want to eat it!? There are people starving you know! :pascontent:

Of course, I'll update all my levels accordingly! :)

Makopje wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:56 pm Does anyone know all of the objects/projectiles etc in ReDesigner that give off light?

Am I missing any?
Besides Hot Chocolate, the Torch decoration and the Running Lightning easter egg enemy's bolts when you kill it, I believe that's all of them!

CosmicStrider wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:36 am A NIGHTS Into Dreams level?

...Oh wow I still need to get that A rank in Stick Canyon. I was probably supposed to do that a few years ago but it slipped my mind...Ha. Haha.

Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate in terms of Raydesigner. I guess I'll wait for the Christmas months to get back to NIGHTS though, it's kind of a tradition of mine. It just feels weird to play it outside of December for some reason. I blame the Wii game's seasonal garden for that one.
Ah, a fellow dreamer of culture, I see! Now I'm happy to have sneak it in that useless extra text as a joke! :mryellow:
I've originally planned to make it into a small level and a Bob Ross reference (it started as "The Joy of Playing" level I had revealed long ago), but then it transformed into something very different and grew into a massive project with ten sections... So now I'm considering going for episodic releases similarly to GBC ReDesigned! The main difference being you'll be able to return to previous "worlds" from the same file after each new episode!
It uses music from all NiGHTS games and shares similar level concepts (like Splash Garden, Delight City, Soft Museum, Stick Canyon, Twin Seeds...) as well as the symbolics related to dreams, childhood, growing up, etc., all repurposed in the Rayman style! I'm already quite proud of a certain "effect" I've managed to achieve with the music in the penultimate section and I hope it'll feel as magical as intended! :nostalgic:

That reminds me I used to struggle to get the best ranks as a kid, but I only realised a few years ago that the game actually expects you to keep using as many turns as possible to get the most points, and not just rush to the goal once you got an Ideya. :oops2:
I replayed both the original and Journey of Dreams last year and I finally got 100 % in both of them! Not as hard as I expected and very satisfying to do! :mrgreen:

The Christmas thing is also pretty natural for NiGHTS considering the Christmas NiGHTS release (which I never got) of the original game and the content which returned in the remaster! That promotional disc is probably also the reason why the Wii game had a lot of winter-themed content since it features many tributes to its predecessors!
Speaking of which, despite having a completely different story, the Christmas level I've mentioned is a bit of a spin-off for the NiGHTS one, as it uses many winter/Christmas-themed music from NiGHTS (as well as some from the Rayman series and Crash Bandicoot WoC)! Same goes for "The Witch's Wonderland" already revealed which uses Crystal Castle's soundtrack and a few similar ideas!

ChronicTraitor wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:04 am
Rayman Saturn wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:51 pm Greyscale betrayed its Color equivalent and chose to become the GBC version with some minor changes again! It was surprisingly consistent here... but then, of course, it had to crap its Arcane pants in the fourth level by breaking a few tiles and by adding some unnecessary ones, because it just had to! :hap:
:mwahaha: (finally got to use this smiley!) I definitely got a great laugh out of this part!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets Ancient and Arcane Forest mixed up sometimes too. :lol:
Rayman Saturn wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:51 pm As for the skins... Well, no improvements besides some minuscule changes to Dark Rayman. However, I added a Greyscale version for him and I fixed the Rayman Greyscale one which I had accidentally turned into its fist in the previous bundle and nobody even bloody noticed! :lol: :oops2:
I don't use the grayscale skin but that sounds like a very interesting screwup! Makes me want to go redownload it just to see it...

I swear the text looks a bit chunkier on my last two quips but I've no idea why... :? It's because the quote about the greyscale skin included an unmatched bold tag. I've fixed it for you ;) ~PluM
I wasn't expecting anyone to actually laugh that much at my silliness, but I'm happy it accidentally worked that well (But I get you, Greyscale is just such a funny joke in itself :hap: )! Guess my line felt inspired by the "PlayStation Pants" joke from the AVGN's episode on Resident Evil Survivor! :lol: A smiley I would personally love to use more is this one: :lololol:
It's literally beating the lol into itself! :fou:

Guess that "Arcane" and "Ancient" just look way too similar! :oops2:

I still have no idea what I even did to screw up that one like this! Guess that's just a case of Paint net being a troll again with the save target... :mefiant:
The funniest is that I still tried it out of curiosity and the game worked, but just kept spamming me with errors of "textures failing to load"! Then it just crashed. :noelnoir:

PluM sneaking into people's posts now, I see. :hap:
Not complaining though, just saying hi ahead of time in case we meet in that one! :P
Hi. I like plums. Plums are great. Do you like plums? They're cool fruits... Huh? You already knew? How could you tell!?... PLUMS.

hoodlumsworld wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:16 pm Congratulations on (almost) completing the project, Rayman Saturn. ☺️
T(h)anks! :mrgreen:
In all seriousness, thanks.
But I still like tanks.

Well, I only planned to post again when I would be back with the next content, but considering all the responses and the next update's reveal, it was better to do it now because it's already more than enough of a wall of text! :fou2:

I've made a decision! Dark Legacy is next! I'm really not in the mood for the skins and stuff, and it's going to take way too much time for my incompetent butt (and I'll just refuse to elaborate and leave if you ask anything about it :mefiant:). Considering Time Attack was originally unlocked when beating Dark Legacy, I think it's also more fitting that way to release the separate worlds maps and extras later!
First levels are almost done and the second level of the Rayman 2 Forever demo is almost done! And the life of my clothes dryer is done! :hap: [That thing was older than me! :cry:]
That also means that Rayman 2 Forever will already have a few worlds complete before GBC 1 is fully finished! Are you happy?... Huh, you're not? :shock:

I have to go, now. My planet needs m-... [BUDGET RAN OUT TO FINISH THIS MESSAGE]

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Rayman Saturn wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:31 pm Guess my line felt inspired by the "PlayStation Pants" joke from the AVGN's episode on Resident Evil Survivor! :lol:
Despite all its flaws, I remember I vaguely enjoyed playing this game. Don't ask me why, the video speaks for itself. :oops2:
rayfan1995
Lums
Tings: 35

Post by rayfan1995 »

Hey guys, i made a level, and i don't know how to turn it into a .zip file. any help?
ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval

Post by ChronicTraitor »

rayfan1995 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:24 pm Hey guys, i made a level, and i don't know how to turn it into a .zip file. any help?
Now I've never made my own levels, so I'm not sure how much of a help I can actually be here, but I've played many other levels people have made and they're usually set up (mostly) the same way...

In a zipped folder containing the txt.file (i.e. the level itself), a Custom folder for any custom sprites and or music used, and an optional Read Me explaining what to do with the custom graphics and to give credit if needed.

On windows, Right click the main folder that everything's in, and find Send To in the list, a zipped folder should be the first option in the list. Though I'm not sure if that's what others do here...

As for making the zipped file downloadable I have no idea...There is the Raydistributor website where people upload their levels for others to download as a zip file, but I've no idea how that works. I'm sure someone more acknowledgeable can help you further, though! :wink:

Don't forget to introduce yourself in the members forum sometime, it could help you to let others know you're here! Though I'll be the first to say hi, and welcome to the RPC! :up:
Mortamon Saturn
Razoff

Hiya! I have returned with a surprise! Well, two actually, but the first one wasn’t expected at all! :mryellow:
After being pleasantly surprised by Sonic Frontiers, I got hyped again for the franchise’s super forms, and so this gave me a little idea for Rayman...
Introducing... SUPER RAYMAN!

Download: https://raydistributor.com/content/RAY-B4BA-86

One skin + a custom fist and one short action-packed level to experience the Undefeatable™ power of the super limbless hero!
There are also some extra backgrounds for the level (including some very ridiculous psychedelic ones I had tried to make :oops2:) and a readme which details the story and how to install everything!
The UNDEFEATABLE FIST level is quite similar to what I had already done with Rock ’n’ Run, except it’s all focused on the Invincibility power-up (thus making you Hyper Rayman since you have bright changing colours and incredible powers :bad:) and on making you feel absolutely unstoppable, annihilating everything Mr Dark could possibly send at you! Including a certain "transformation" I had created for him in Rock ’n’ Run which has returned for this level!
It may be minuscule (like these words), but just like the other level I keep mentioning, it features quite a bunch of secrets! Can you find them all? There’s even a little nod to the """""story""""" of Rayman Origins if you can look carefully at the very beginning! :hehe:

[Warning! Contains spoilers for the first boss song of Sonic Frontiers! Well, SEGA already revealed all of it, but I always prefer to remain careful :!:]

Mr Dark: "How did you get past my army!?"
Super Rayman: "I moved."
Here’s also an older version of the level (which was used for the video) and which is now deprived of any custom content, because I just always make a useless RPC version nobody is going to actually enjoy unless someone has less than a few Mo of storage space remaining on their computer! :hap:
Undefeatable Fist.zip
(229.36 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Regarding the GBC levels, the expanded demo of Rayman 2 Forever is here!

R2 GBC ReDesigned Demo 2.zip
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
It improves a few things (like the way some objects are placed) and adds the second level of the Fairy Glade, one that’s going to make you climb... A LOT. :hap:
I had to replace the bouncy branches with springs (yes, again) and the flying bombs with Antitoons. The collisions, however, are completely the same (aside from some extras so the Antitoons do not fly out of their intended area).

Capture d’écran (31212).png
Capture d’écran (31212).png (53.75 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
Capture d’écran (31213).png
Capture d’écran (31213).png (52.72 KiB) Viewed 3334 times

Once again, collecting the Yellow "Lums" isn’t necessary to progress, but getting them all in a level will spawn a Magician Token on the Exit Sign as proof that you truly beat any level to 100%!
And unlike Rayman 1 GBC ReDesigned, the Checkpoints are available from the start! They already had a physical presence in that game through the White Lums and I doubt anyone really cares about how out of place the Photographer looks here (you don’t, right?), so now he’s here to help you (I still added a grey "Lum" along with it just to be faithful)!
There was enough space for it, so the original graphics are available as well as the oil-painted ones!
As usual, your feedback is very useful!

Dark Legacy should be here in a week or two! But don’t take my word for it, because I’m bad at releasing content in time 99% of the time! time :noel:

rayfan1995 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:24 pm Hey guys, i made a level, and i don't know how to turn it into a .zip file. any help?
Welcome to the RPC, rayfan1995! :)
As ChronicTraitor already explained, just make a folder with your level’s file(s) and just right click on it and select "Sent to" + "Compressed (zipped) folder". Then you just have to join it in as an attached document in a post here!
If your folder is heavier than 3 Mo (which is the maximum here), you can always just upload it on another site like Rayman Redistributor and share the link here. Then we’ll link your post to the main page as usual for easy access (unless you don’t want to)! :mrgreen:
Feel free to ask any questions if there’s something you don’t understand!

Hunchman801 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:17 pm
Rayman Saturn wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:31 pm Guess my line felt inspired by the "PlayStation Pants" joke from the AVGN's episode on Resident Evil Survivor! :lol:
Despite all its flaws, I remember I vaguely enjoyed playing this game. Don't ask me why, the video speaks for itself. :oops2:
Heh, we all have our guilty pleasures! After all, I did enjoy the Shadow the Hedgehog game both ironically and unironically! :hap: :oops2:
[pls don't judge me I was just a stupid kid that thought edgy themes and characters were cool :'( ]

ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval

Post by ChronicTraitor »

Rayman Saturn wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:55 pm Heh, we all have our guilty pleasures! After all, I did enjoy the Shadow the Hedgehog game both ironically and unironically! :hap: :oops2:
[pls don't judge me I was just a stupid kid that thought edgy themes and characters were cool :'( ]
Funny, I've had that exact game on the brain for the past few days now. It's actually my favorite 'Sonic' game unironically, and I'm not ashamed to admit it either! :mryellow:

I should replay it sometime! (hopefully soon, before it takes up all of my brainspace with narm and memes) :fou:

That aside, I'll look forward to Dark Legacy, Christmas release or no! :noel: