My Versions of Simohne and Monik

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
MaryMagicPie
Lums Rouge
Tings: 55

My Versions of Simohne and Monik

Post by MaryMagicPie »

So in Rayman 4, Rayman was meant to have a fiancé named Simohne and André was meant to have a girlfriend named Monik. With their original concept art finally being dropped, I decided to draw them!

To be honest, I never saw Rayman or André being "romantic" types, as in, characters who needed or even wanted love interests. Rayman was fine without a love interest, as he seems like the kind of guy to view everyone as more of a friend. While André is a nasty, spiteful little creature who seems to treat the women he does find like garbage ("Hey, toots! Gimme that mic!"). So the idea of them getting love interests was a bit iffy to me, but then I started to think about it more. What kind of women would be attractive to these men anyway? What would their inclusion within their lives improve upon for both man and woman? And, more importantly, who are these women on their own and would they stand strongly without men? That got me thinking... and thinking leads to me art-ing.

Simohne, being both French (due to her name and origins) and black (due to her design featuring darker skin and dreadlocks), I decided to take her design influences from Haitian clothing. I also didn't like the grey, green, and pink palette. So I changed that up a bit. As for what kind of character I imagine her being, Simohne was very much a damsel in distress; with a majority of her concept art being her enslaved or tied-up. Someone weak and constantly in need of rescue doesn't strike me as someone Rayman would be enamored by. So I like to imagine Simohne as just as adventurous and curious as Rayman, but not as skilled due to lacking Rayman's magical powers. So Simohne often ends up in trouble due to her curiosity or compassion, but always because she tried to do the right thing or help others. Someone selfless and courageous seems like a person Rayman would find himself attracted to. But at the same time, I like to think of Simohne as someone whose a lot wiser and mature than Rayman, keeping him from being too reckless (kind of like Ly). The brains to Rayman's brawn, if you will. That way, a perfectly balanced and healthy relationship where both Rayman and Simohne can help the other and still enjoy each other's company. Also, if Rayman were to have a girlfriend, she would 100% have to be an artist. Perhaps with her colorful wardrobe, Simohne has a flair for fashion? (Maybe she's responsible for Rayman's costumes?)

As for Monik, the only girl André would ever be interested is one who has the same penchant for chaos. In my eyes, Monik is a girl who wants to break free of the stereotype of the traditional "fairy tale" faye and embrace her punkish side. Someone seductive yet sarcastic, with a dark sense of humor. Similar to Murfy, but I can imagine her annoying him. Monik is that girl who uses her tongue to escape trouble, similar to how manipulative and scheming André could be. But unlike "Andy", Monik is smart and helpful. As seen as her being the game's intended field guide, Monik is someone who loves the wacky weirdness of the Glade of Dreams... maybe even showing André that trying to destroy it was a bad idea? I made her the same species of fairy as Ly, probably also from the Island of Phrys. Perhaps she has the same weapons mastery, eye for technology, sewing skills, and love for a good drink as the Hoodlums?

*This is my first time uploading art to this community!

Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Re: My Versions of Simohne and Monik

Post by Elite Piranha »

Simohne's clothes are beautiful, I like the decorative purple lums in the dress. About Monik, it really makes sense to me that she would adopt the hoodlum's fashion sense and habits (since she probably interacts with them frequently because of André), her personalized clothes are really cool and have given me an idea :hinhinhin:.
Misterfan2000
Grand Mini
Tings: 5485

Post by Misterfan2000 »

I LOVE Monik's clothes! A fairy with a Hoodlum styled clothes is very cool to see!

Good work!
MaryMagicPie
Lums Rouge

Post by MaryMagicPie »

Misterfan2000 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:05 pm I LOVE Monik's clothes! A fairy with a Hoodlum styled clothes is very cool to see!

Good work!
Thank you very much! I like to feel since Monik always hangs with the Hoodlums, she adopts their fashion sense.
Elite Piranha wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:22 am Simohne's clothes are beautiful, I like the decorative purple lums in the dress. About Monik, it really makes sense to me that she would adopt the hoodlum's fashion sense and habits (since she probably interacts with them frequently because of André), her personalized clothes are really cool and have given me an idea :hinhinhin:.
I modeled Simohne's design after Haitian clothing, thanks! Clothes are always fun to do!
UlticraftMTT
Œil Rebondissant
Tings: 25

Post by UlticraftMTT »

These are AMAZING. Love your work!
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

I absolutely love those renditions, they are very creative. Amazing work. ☺️👌
MaryMagicPie
Lums Rouge

Post by MaryMagicPie »

UlticraftMTT wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:01 am These are AMAZING. Love your work!
Thank you so much!
hoodlumsworld wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:42 pm I absolutely love those renditions, they are very creative. Amazing work. ☺️👌
Can't thank you enough!