Bye Ancel

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
syntheticgerbil
Lums
Tings: 30

Bye Ancel

Post by syntheticgerbil »

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=248735

It's still just a rumor, but it seems Ancel has left Ubisoft out of difficulties with management. He'll be missed if so.
El Dango
Aline Louïa
Tings: 105675

Re: Bye Ancel

Post by El Dango »

No offense to the man himself, but he hasn't really done anything over the last couple of years, so this doesn't change that much.
Do NOT forget to vote and participate in the SOTM and Manipulate the Image competitions!
(If you don't wanna, however, that's perfectly okay (I'm hardly a role model))
bunnieblaster
Master Kaag
Tings: 6995

Post by bunnieblaster »

Well, he should leave ubisoft and start his own game industry. He'll be rich in no-time.
Cairnie
Murfy
Tings: 85030

Post by Cairnie »

If this is true then I wish him the best of luck making a possibly better studio.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff
Spanex
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Spanex »

So do I.
Cairnie
Murfy
Tings: 85030

Post by Cairnie »

A French website linked from NeoGAF just said it's a false rumour.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news_15707_miche ... c-est-faux [anyone care to translate plz?]

Show's over.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Yep, it's false.

Besides, I don't think it should have been trusted originally so much because of the following reasons:
1. The source is a small, unknown site that doesn't get much traffic ( look at their forums, there's almost no activity, same for the comments on the articles ).
2. They also don't mention the name of the guy who he would be making a studio with.
3. Michel Ancel loves Beyond Good & Evil, he wouldn't just abandon it, certainly not so far in the process.
4. Michel Ancel wants to go back to 2D? I think he said somewhere that he loved his 3D games more...

EDIT -> Here's a translation of the article:
According to the information of the Montpellier website WootGaming ( that some here know for its "inspiration" ), Michel Ancel, the creator of Rayman and Beyond Good & Evil and emblematic figure at Ubisoft, would be quitting the Montpellier studio, and abandon his project BG&E2. Just like that.

If we tell you about this rumor, it's because the information spreads over the internet at light speed, making lots of players panic. To be sure we have called Ubisoft France and members of the Ubi Montpellier team.

Don't worry: this information is completely false, denied by Ubisoft press and our sources in the studio... and the project Beyond Good & Evil 2 is more than ever on track. Besides, E3 could be a good time to prove it in a brilliant way...
Last edited by Droolie on Fri May 28, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex »

In some way, these facts actually make me feel relieved. Even as a famous game designer, where must he get the money from to start a successful studio? Sure, two designers are better than one, but still, they need a budget for a game too, then they gotta hope they're actually successful and the game isn't a waste of money.
syntheticgerbil
Lums

I'm hoping this rumor stays false, then, and now since Ubisoft seems to have just promised some kind of big Beyond Good and Evil showing at E3, they'd better come through on their word.
Spanex wrote:Even as a famous game designer, where must he get the money from to start a successful studio? Sure, two designers are better than one, but still, they need a budget for a game too, then they gotta hope they're actually successful and the game isn't a waste of money.
You do realize you don't have to belong to a billionaire multinational game studio to make games right? All it takes is someone to invest, either a publisher or the game makers themselves. Independent studios comprised of unhappy corporate workers have been branching off of major games studios for the last 3 decades, it's not unheard of.
Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex »

I always thought they had to do it all their own. Ah well, it doesn't matter. It's not happening anyway.
Sabertooth
Magicien
Tings: 53365

Post by Sabertooth »

If he did get the money for it, his studio would have been a lot better than Ubisoft. Maybe with Ancel at the helm of a company we could expect more Rayman games. Too bad that'll never happen.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:
syntheticgerbil
Lums

Well the reason I'm hoping this rumor is not true (both websites saying the rumor is true or false are all kind of shady) and Ubisoft is going to premiere BG&E2 at E3 after all is that if Ancel were to really leave Ubisoft, he would no longer have access to Rayman or Beyond Good and Evil.

I really doubt Ubisoft would sell the rights to either series if so, so we wouldn't be able to see any more proper games, which would be sad. Big companies don't often sell rights and I doubt Ubisoft would even sell Tonic Trouble at this point, for instance.

One thing about this, the rumor than Ancel has quit has spread way faster to every gaming site and blog than the news saying he didn't quit. I think Ubisoft may want to release an official statement at this point for damage control.
Sabertooth1000000000 wrote:If he did get the money for it, his studio would have been a lot better than Ubisoft. Maybe with Ancel at the helm of a company we could expect more Rayman games. Too bad that'll never happen.
Yeah that's what sucks, he would probably have to start working on small low budget games at first, so it would be a weird transition if he were to have his own studio.
Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex »

I would think that if Ubi doesn't want to sell Rayman, they still would have plans with him. But, meh. Now I'm just getting lost in thought, which often happens.
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

And here's some hope for Rayman 4:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michel-Ancel/45707703446
As a reaction to this false rumor, posted on the facebook fanpage of Michel Ancel, Nicolas Choukron ( who worked with Michel Ancel once ) himself said:
"Wrong, I met him 2 weeks ago. He is very busy on a sequel of Rayman. He just setup a smaller team because the team in Montpellier was too large. His team is in a different place but he works 100% with Ubi."
I don't know if we should believe it, but I think we can trust him more than that French gaming site.
bunnieblaster
Master Kaag
Tings: 6995

Post by bunnieblaster »

That's amazing :o
Rsandee
Moskito
Tings: 59720

Post by Rsandee »

Looks like the Rayman series are not dead after all.
Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex »

That's the best thing I've heard so far. But I'm yet to believe this, until we get real proof.
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

Drolpiraat wrote:And here's some hope for Rayman 4:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michel-Ancel/45707703446
As a reaction to this false rumor, posted on the facebook fanpage of Michel Ancel, Nicolas Choukron ( who worked with Michel Ancel once ) himself said:
"Wrong, I met him 2 weeks ago. He is very busy on a sequel of Rayman. He just setup a smaller team because the team in Montpellier was too large. His team is in a different place but he works 100% with Ubi."
I don't know if we should believe it, but I think we can trust him more than that French gaming site.
Has Choukroun's comment been deleted or am I too much of a Facebook noob to find it?

I know all about Choukroun; he created Little Big Adventure and Alone in the Dark. There was news a couple of years ago that he was working on a game with Ancel and the rest of the Montpellier team but I don't think anything ever came of it. I added some information relating to him to Ancel's RayWiki page a couple of months ago...

If Choukroun's comment is accurate, then it's the best news ever.
Lijik
Antitoon

Post by Lijik »

spiraldoor wrote:I know all about Choukroun; he created Little Big Adventure and Alone in the Dark. There was news a couple of years ago that he was working on a game with Ancel and the rest of the Montpellier team but I don't think anything ever came of it. I added some information relating to him to Ancel's RayWiki page a couple of months ago...
Then you'd know the person you're talking about is Frederick Reynal, not Choukroun.

It would seem the original rumor is half-right given Choukroun's comments. It did say that along with starting a new studio, Ancel was still working with Ubisoft which seems to fit in with what Choukroun is saying with Ancel starting a new team for the new Rayman.

Maybe the source of the original rumor had the new studio bit, and then assumed a bunch of wrong information from it.
Last edited by Lijik on Sat May 29, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex »

Who knows, maybe E3 can clear things up.