Rayman Origins

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Which version is your favourite?

PS3
17%
Xbox 360
16%
Wii
16%
PC
43%
PSVita
7%
3DS
2%

Total votes: 167

Matyuv
Gangsta Globox
Tings: 54431

Re: E3 brings us.....more Rabbids AND Rayman!?

Post by Matyuv »

The backgrounds are really sweet, but the characters I don't like so much. And it kinda looks like it's a great game for say, iPhone, but eh on the 360/PS3/whatever it might feel like a minigame of something bigger and unfortunately non-existent.
MandM81 wrote:YYYYYYYRRRHLHLPYYYYYYPDPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYRRRRRR
AJack
Bébé Globox
Tings: 612

Post by AJack »

Hi guys, I'm new here :) Just had my love of Rayman rekindled last week when I decided to have a stab at replaying Rayman 2 for PC. Truly a great game.

As for Rayman Origins, its looking good IMO. Rayman as a character certainly seems different to the heroic figure we're used to, but then judging by the following explanation (as others have noted) that seems to be an important part of the story:
Yes, in the beginning Rayman was more into handing out free slaps than into world saving. Strangely enough it is this very eventful story we are interested in; How did this uncontrollable individual and his grotesque companion become the heroes that we know?
To address a few of the points people have mentioned:

Not on the Wii - It might not be coming for the Wii YET, but never say never. The Rabbids franchise has built up quite a connection with Nintendo over the last few years, so a port seems quite possible.

Downloadable Episodes - Whether you like them or not, episodic games are a great way for small devs to get a quality product out and see immediate profits. They're also a brilliant marketing tool; like the shareware games of yesteryear, they allow people to take a chance on games they might ordinarily avoid while also hooking new players who'll likely go on to purchase the rest of the episodes.

Not a Proper Rayman Game - Perhaps not, but what Rayman Origins WILL do is drum up awareness of the franchise. If it proves to be popular, who knows what Ubisoft might have for us at E3 2011?

Rayman Origins Progress: Electoons: 213/246 - Skull Teeth: 10/10 - Land of the Livid Dead Completed? Hell no.
Spanex
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Spanex »

Yes, in the beginning Rayman was more into handing out free slaps than into world saving.
Kind of a Rayman version for free hugs isn't it?

I feel like making crazy-rayman-slapping art now. But I can't do that until after school.

Edit: EMOCLEW, Jack! :D
Holy Crap
Vendeur
Location: I AM OMNIPRESENT! (Just like God, only better, because I exist)
Tings: 80202

Post by Holy Crap »

It looks decent, about time too.
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

So, after thinking about this a bit more, this is how I feel about it.

POSITIVE
  • It's Rayman.
  • Michel Ancel is working on it.
  • Rayman slaps!
  • Awesome graphics, especially the backgrounds.
  • It's platforming!
  • Nice logo there.
  • References to the other games: Betilla ( or someone who looks like her ), livingstones, etc.
  • The atmosphere is magical.
  • Huge and great looking bosses.
  • Great little details!
  • Co-op?
NEGATIVE
  • Character design by the people who made the 2D graphics for Rabbids Go Home or what? Eww.
  • The atmosphere feels magical, but it reminds me of Legend of Spyro, and that is NOT good. It's way too generic.
  • The music is way too generic, I hate it already.
  • I don't see any GOOD platforming parts. It looks like you'll constantly be running or something.
  • What is this, a tale of love between Rayman and Globox? As Murfy would say... "puh-lease!"
  • The combat looks like generic melee again.
  • I preferred the original 3D Rayman 4 with the eagle.
  • Narrator
  • Rayman looks like an idiot, so does Globox... even though they're supposed to look like that.
  • The dumb feeling Rayman has is stupid... in Rayman 2 he was serious, the story was serious, and that made it feel epic. This just feels...
  • ... too much like Legend of Spyro.
I really hope he becomes serious and wipes that horrible idiotic smile off his face after the beginning of the game, because if he doesn't, I don't think this will suck the player in it like the previous games did. Rayman 3 suffered from this, and it seems this suffers from it even more. :(
bunnieblaster
Master Kaag
Tings: 6995

Post by bunnieblaster »

I don't know what to think. Well, at least Rayman is alive, but:

- It's 2d :( Rayman 1 was cool, sure, but this looks weird
- Rayman is some kind of weird teenage guy
- Globox is some sort of handicapped woman
- The gameplay is stupid
- It's a prequel
PowerPatrick
Master Kaag
Tings: 6665

Post by PowerPatrick »

Well, I myself is mostly disappointed as well, but yet satisfied for them to bring him back. I also think rebooting the series is going too far, because Rayman's real origins should take place in The Valley, where all the population are limbless too. And another element I was hoping for, was "seriousity". But the question is, are they really going to revive the original Rayman 4 concept, at least without the rabbids? I really doubt it. Oh well.

But a thingamajig or thingmajig is a placeholder name that refers to something unspecified or unclassified, whose name is either forgotten or not known. So basically, they havn't defined his species in the exact way.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Do my eyes are telling the truth!? Is THIS a DREAM?! I seriously CAN'T believe that after 7 years... Rayman is finally BACK! <8'DDD

But as a first impression, I wasn't expecting it would be a 2D game, I was imagining a 3D game. I just hope this goes to PC and Wii... And I'm amazed how Betilla returned (Marlyn Monroe reference on the trailer! :lol: ) and the Livingstones... Could this mean that Mr. Dark will also return?!

The Cartoon style impressed me. Without any doubts the backgrounds are just beautiful, but the characters seem to be goofy-like... That's kind of wierd.

At least Rabbids aren't in there, and Rayman really returned, I think it's better than nothing.

Now we must wait for more information and details about this game. :)
Jake360
Créature
Tings: 320

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Jake360 »

It is not what i wanted but maybe it's the start of something good. If this sells well for a DL title then i wouldn't be suprised to see a full sequel in the next couple of years.

Here are some screens.

http://translate.google.fr/translate?u= ... =&ie=UTF-8

Made by ME!!! :D
PowerPatrick
Master Kaag
Tings: 6665

Post by PowerPatrick »

Haruka wrote:And I'm amazed how Betilla returned (Marlyn Monroe reference on the trailer! :lol: ) and the Livingstones... Could this mean that Mr. Dark will also return?!
Well, Betilla and Livingstones with limbs... You can now make a guess. :boon:
Bloodgrey
Moussu
Tings: 1165

Post by Bloodgrey »

FUCKYEAH!
Finally!
It's 2D, it's beautifull, it uses stuff from R1 and R2, it's just awesome.
Sure Rayman is dumb, but I'm fine with that, since he's just born, he will shape up to be the positive rolemodel.
Matyuv
Gangsta Globox

Post by Matyuv »

I'll definitely play this game. Rayman&Globox look stupid but oh well, I guess it'll be fun anyway. :mrgreen:
Tulio
Grand Mini
Tings: 5485

Post by Tulio »

Before i wanted to buy PS3 only because of Little Big Planet 2... Now I have even better reason. :D

Graphics style looks really, really nice - mix of R1, R2 and R3 without Rabbids(yay! has to be epic win. Globox returned, hope that Ly, Polokus and other characters will be back too. :) Ancel and Ubiart made really good job by making this game, finally we get a real Rayman.

Only 1 thing is strange - from official lore Rayman's origins aren't known(he was found on a beach by fishers, right?), so I guess something has changed here...
El Dango
Aline Louïa
Tings: 105675

Post by El Dango »

This is awesome news. :D
Do NOT forget to vote and participate in the SOTM and Manipulate the Image competitions!
(If you don't wanna, however, that's perfectly okay (I'm hardly a role model))
Rsandee
Moskito
Tings: 59720

Post by Rsandee »

I just watched the trailer, when i saw the 3D part, i thought, good so far.... then i saw Betilla, i thought, good, Rayman 1 characters.
BUT THEN I SAW RAYMAN!!!!
AND GOD!!! WHY IS HE LAUGHING THE WHOLE TIME?
And then i saw Globox, LAUGHING.
And even worse, why is it going to be on Xbox Life and PSN?

Ancel, you've betrayed us.... AGAIN. :fuck2:
Rsandee
Moskito

Post by Rsandee »

Sabertooth1000000000 wrote: It's not on Wiiware so I can't get it :cry:

1. It's a prequel.
2. It's 2D. (duh)
3. It's being released in episodes as DLC. Just kill me now. And fuck you Sega for obviously being the ones to give them this idea.
4. It's going to be on the Xbox Live Arcade and PSN.
5. It's being developed by only five people.
6. Rayman is a fucking idiot.
7. It will probably be a Legend of Spyro-esque reboot. Haha, because things weren't already bad enough.
8. Rayman has become Crash Bandicoot
9. Rayman and Globox are freaking perverts.
10. Betilla is a whore?
11. Bad humour (Man? Vedgetable? Thingamajing? WTF)
12. It justs dissapoints me.
Tulio
Grand Mini
Tings: 5485

Post by Tulio »

I haven't seen more weird Ray's character concept before... And I like it! :D
El Dango
Aline Louïa
Tings: 105675

Post by El Dango »

Drolpiraat wrote:So, after thinking about this a bit more, this is how I feel about it.

POSITIVE
  • It's Rayman.
  • Michel Ancel is working on it.
  • Rayman slaps!
  • Awesome graphics, especially the backgrounds.
  • It's platforming!
  • Nice logo there.
  • References to the other games: Betilla ( or someone who looks like her ), livingstones, etc.
  • The atmosphere is magical.
  • Huge and great looking bosses.
  • Great little details!
  • Co-op?
NEGATIVE
  • Character design by the people who made the 2D graphics for Rabbids Go Home or what? Eww.
  • The atmosphere feels magical, but it reminds me of Legend of Spyro, and that is NOT good. It's way too generic.
  • The music is way too generic, I hate it already.
  • I don't see any GOOD platforming parts. It looks like you'll constantly be running or something.
  • What is this, a tale of love between Rayman and Globox? As Murfy would say... "puh-lease!"
  • The combat looks like generic melee again.
  • I preferred the original 3D Rayman 4 with the eagle.
  • Narrator
  • Rayman looks like an idiot, so does Globox... even though they're supposed to look like that.
  • The dumb feeling Rayman has is stupid... in Rayman 2 he was serious, the story was serious, and that made it feel epic. This just feels...
  • ... too much like Legend of Spyro.
I really hope he becomes serious and wipes that horrible idiotic smile off his face after the beginning of the game, because if he doesn't, I don't think this will suck the player in it like the previous games did. Rayman 3 suffered from this, and it seems this suffers from it even more. :(
I agree with most of this, although we don't know much about the music or the gameplay. I hate the way Rayman appears as a moron though. Still, it isn't really a Rayman 4, but a prequel to the story, so I'll accept it.
Do NOT forget to vote and participate in the SOTM and Manipulate the Image competitions!
(If you don't wanna, however, that's perfectly okay (I'm hardly a role model))
Rsandee
Moskito

Post by Rsandee »

When Ubisoft is done, and i hope that will be FAST, i hope they make a proper Rayman game.... and i'll guess they will do that if this game is going to be populair, same story as Raving Rabbids.
Matyuv
Gangsta Globox

Post by Matyuv »

By the way this Ubiart framework thing seems interesting, I wonder if they'll be releasing some kind of developer's kit for that. I'd love to get my hands on it.