Games you consider overrated

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
OCG
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9905

Games you consider overrated

Post by OCG »

There is already thread for underrated games so I decided to make one for overrated. Discuss what games you find overrated. I'll start:
Crash Twinsanity - called by some "last good Crash game" which I strongly disagree. Twinsanity is for me the point where Crash went downhil. It had potential but it just didn't do things right. Humor and music are only good things in it. Rest is glitchy, openworld wannabe mess which failed to impress me. 30% of this game makes it good? Twinsanity is mediocre at best in my opinion.

Skylanders Swap Force - worst one in the series, Giants should have been the end of franchise.

The above statements are just my opinions. Share yours
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Re: Games you consider overrated

Post by incognito »

Street fighter ; Tekken; Mortal kombat;

THEY SUCK! my opinion though.
Dart
Clark
Tings: 49845

Post by Dart »

Call of Duty
sonicbrawler182
Barbara
Tings: 11810

Post by sonicbrawler182 »

Super Mario Galaxy: While it was really creative for the most part and quite innovative and revolutionary for platformers, and it's still a very good game all around, I feel it's a very flawed game, that most people are too forgiving over. It's as experimental as the recent Sonic Lost World, and shares similar problems. Luckily, Galaxy 2 perfected things.

Rayman 1: People are way too forgiving of this game. It's not terrible, but it has VERY flawed level design, and some programming issues that really hurt what could of been a timeless game. The visuals, music, and atmosphere is perfect, and the game's base mechanics are great, but a lot of very questionable decisions prevent it from being as timeless as the likes of Super Mario Bros, Mega Man, and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Rayman 2: Just a tad bit. The story is overrated, I feel. It's not that special. And all of it's one off gimmick segments control like ass (except for the PS One version's final boss). And the combat sucks, while being forced on you quite a bit. The rest of the game almost makes up for it, though.
Please check out my YouTube channel, specifically my Sonic Lost World "Talkthrough"!

"And that's how Mama became the most OP character in every game she appeared in!"
OCG
Le Capitaine

Post by OCG »

I agree with Super Mario Galaxy 1.

Also, a game I find a bit overrated is Sonic Adventure 2. I would not call it best 3D Sonic game like some do. I liked Sonic and Shadow stages, but treasure hunting stages were horrible. Tails and Eggman were alright, but they lacked speed.

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

OldClassicGamer wrote:I agree with Super Mario Galaxy 1.

Also, a game I find a bit overrated is Sonic Adventure 2. I would not call it best 3D Sonic game like some do. I liked Sonic and Shadow stages, but treasure hunting stages were horrible. Tails and Eggman were alright, but they lacked speed.
OH YEAH HOW COULD I FORGET

Yeah, SA2 is SEVERELY overrated (not necessarily within the fandom, but outside of it). Multiplayer is a blast, and the Chao Garden is really neat and deserves it's own game, but the single player adventure is average at best. I don't even like the Sonic and Shadow stages that much (incredibly shallow and linear, some of them provide some nice thrills though).

Honestly, besides the multiplayer, I prefer Heroes, and even Shadow the Hedgehog.
Please check out my YouTube channel, specifically my Sonic Lost World "Talkthrough"!

"And that's how Mama became the most OP character in every game she appeared in!"
Indy
Crapaud blindé
Location: Echoing Caves and my work department in a corner of my house.
Tings: 15801

Post by Indy »

The Legend of Spyro trilogy. Especially Dawn of The Dragon, and I have quite some negative points about it:

1 High contrasted.
2 The acting of the voice behind Cynder in DoTD is horribly awful.
3 Broken anatomy. Especially Cynder's.
4 Sudden colour changes on Spyro and Cynder. Spyro is all pinkish, and Cynder is... urgh, dark-purple/blue and hot pink. I like her red and black colour scheme in ANB better.
5 The bigger dragons and Guardians, was it me or did they have growth spurts over the 3-years time skip?
6 A feral dragoness has B00BS! Geez, Sierra, whoever directed that game, this is a kid's game, right? Why did you slap some melons on a feral dragoness?
PSN: Toxic_Dragon_96
Twitter: DeltaVelocity
OCG
Le Capitaine

Post by OCG »

Worst from Legend Of Spyro Trilogy for me was Enternal Night.

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

Fair enough. But I like the story though, and the darkened atmosphere.
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

Indy wrote:The Legend of Spyro trilogy. Especially Dawn of The Dragon, and I have quite some negative points about it:

1 High contrasted.
2 The acting of the voice behind Cynder in DoTD is horribly awful.
3 Broken anatomy. Especially Cynder's.
4 Sudden colour changes on Spyro and Cynder. Spyro is all pinkish, and Cynder is... urgh, dark-purple/blue and hot pink. I like her red and black colour scheme in ANB better.
5 The bigger dragons and Guardians, was it me or did they have growth spurts over the 3-years time skip?
6 A feral dragoness has B00BS! Geez, Sierra, whoever directed that game, this is a kid's game, right? Why did you slap some melons on a feral dragoness?
While I quite like the LoS trilogy, it's hardly overrated. Not many people actually like it, and it's not a juggernaut in sales either.

...And what do you mean a feral dragoness with boobs?

Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

By feral, it's a animal or creature on four legs.
It looks kinda wrong if a feral fox ( for example ) has breasts.
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

No, I know what feral is.
I just don't recall any dragoness in the LoS trilogy having breasts.

Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

sonicbrawler182 wrote:No, I know what feral is.
I just don't recall any dragoness in the LoS trilogy having breasts.
It's the anatomy in DoTD of Cyn with her chest forth rounded. But it could be just me. There are a few diffrences between her corrupted for in ANB, and this.
Dark Lum Lord
Carnivora
Tings: 12670

Post by Dark Lum Lord »

sonicbrawler183 wrote:ayman 1: People are way too forgiving of this game. It's not terrible, but it has VERY flawed level design, and some programming issues that really hurt what could of been a timeless game. The visuals, music, and atmosphere is perfect, and the game's base mechanics are great, but a lot of very questionable decisions prevent it from being as timeless as the likes of Super Mario Bros, Mega Man, and Sonic the Hedgehog.
Could you elaborate? Because Rayman always felt leagues better than Super Mario Bros for me, somewhere around on par with Sonic. Mega Man I haven't played much of, though.

Also, the only real flaws I found with Twinsanity was the glitches and the fact that the game felt too short. Something else feels a bit odd about it too, but it's still easily my favorite Crash game.
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

...She doesn't have BREASTS though.

Cynder's chest in DotD (and even somewhat in ANB), and even her anatomy in general, is very birdlike, as opposed to human like.

I think you're thinking of Skylanders Cynder, which admittedly looks a little questionable:

http://www.vrgames.ru/published/publicd ... -2_enl.jpg

Personally though, I wish Cynder looked like how she did in the DotD concept art. The DotD design is cute, though:

Could you elaborate? Because Rayman always felt leagues better than Super Mario Bros for me, somewhere around on par with Sonic. Mega Man I haven't played much of, though.
Mario's controls are very static, and a little floaty.
Sonic's controls are momentum based, and he has a lot of weight to him.
Mega Man's controls are very precise and twitchy, and he accelerates when falling. The level design in Mega Man demands precision, but Mega Man's small sprite, and the fact that everything in Mega Man has a clear hit box, makes the platforming in Mega Man easier than it seems at first.

Rayman 1 just feels like it's trying to accomplish all three of these things, but does not feel at all refined in any of these styles. Rayman just feels completely unnatural to control in this game. And the level design is very precise, but not everything has a clear hit box (especially Rayman himself).

If we're talking about Origins/Legends, then I agree, Rayman feels much better than Mario, and actually feels a bit like Sonic.

Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

Oh well. As much as I love Skylanders, her SKL counterpart, is indeed looking rather suggestive. But I still like her besides my bad points. It's the fanbase that is poking me.
Dark Lum Lord
Carnivora
Tings: 12670

Post by Dark Lum Lord »

sonicbrawler182 wrote:Mario's controls are very static, and a little floaty.
Sonic's controls are momentum based, and he has a lot of weight to him.
Mega Man's controls are very precise and twitchy, and he accelerates when falling. The level design in Mega Man demands precision, but Mega Man's small sprite, and the fact that everything in Mega Man has a clear hit box, makes the platforming in Mega Man easier than it seems at first.

Rayman 1 just feels like it's trying to accomplish all three of these things, but does not feel at all refined in any of these styles. Rayman just feels completely unnatural to control in this game. And the level design is very precise, but not everything has a clear hit box (especially Rayman himself).

If we're talking about Origins/Legends, then I agree, Rayman feels much better than Mario, and actually feels a bit like Sonic.
Sonic always felt a bit too fast for me though, can't even see what the fuck is going on in the game. Valid points though, Rayman's awkward to control and the game demands very precise controls at the same time. In my opinion though, Oddworld's more or less the worst when it comes to precision because you literally have to be near one hundred percent accurate with jumps and other actions or you'll die immediately.
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

Sonic feeling too fast is entirely down to the game in question. In Sonic 1, a lot of the levels have a heavy emphasis on platforming, and don't even give the best speed runners an opportunity to build up much speed, and he doesn't accelerate to high speeds unless he rolls down a slope, as the original version of Sonic 1 had a speed cap on Sonic's running speed, preventing him from going too fast for less skilled players. Sonic 1 actually feels slower paced to me than Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends.

As for Oddworld, never really played it - I owned it, but the title screen scared the shit out of me as a kid and gave me nightmares, so I never touched it. :V

OCG
Le Capitaine

Post by OCG »

Shame it did. You missed on really great game.

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

I'll be getting the PS4 remake when that comes out, though, so I'll experience it regardless.