Games you consider overrated

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
technology4617
Antitoon
Tings: 10

Re: Games you consider overrated

Post by technology4617 »

Adsolution wrote:
Hunchman801 wrote:
Rayfist wrote:Grand Theft Auto V: Now I'm really excited to play GTA V when it comes out on PC, and I'm in no way saying it's bad, but it's ridiculously overhyped/overrated. And it's far from what I'd call 'Game of The Year'.
I enjoy this game a lot but I have to agree it's received too much praise.
While I agree that the game is generally overrated to an extent, I also find it to be quite underrated by those who call it overrated. To me, it's only "slightly" overrated, in that, while it's not "the greatest game of all time" like many make it out to be, I'd still quite easily list it as my Game of the Year.
As Conker's Bad Fur Day is my favorite game of all time, I had a friend of a friend tell me that GTA was "objectively" considered a "MUCH better game" than Conker's Bad Fur Day by "everyone," because of "all [the] stuff you can do that you can't do in Conker's Hairy Butthole [or some shit like that]." :roll: Moronic fucking morons. Apparently humor (which is considered "nothing but vulgar jokes by a five-year-old" by my friend and friend's friend), story, and overall lasting impression on you have no impact on the game's quality, but just the fucking gameplay. I guess Silent Hill 2 and The Walking Dead are terrible games, then. I know that everyone has differing opinions, but at least I attempt to recognize that. Also, which I brought up with them, Conker's Bad Fur Day and GTA V have pretty similar ratings (with GTA admittedly having a *slight* edge, albeit a very slight one), so "objectively speaking," they're considered equals, with Conker's Bad Fur Day having a much more significant impact on the gaming industry.

From what I have seen of the game, it looks pretty immensely overrated. Sure, it can be fun, but all it is is the same thing over and over.

I'd need to actually get GTA V in order for me to have a final verdict for the game, but it honestly doesn't appeal to me all that much from what I've seen. Red Dead Redemption seems to be much more my thing.
Last edited by technology4617 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
emshomar wrote:< just managed it to clog the toilet ._.
< made a great buisness (wow in english that sounds even better :D )
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Is that true though? I'm pretty sure you could do almost anything in Conker's hairy butthole, provided he's pinned down, even play GTA V.
technology4617
Antitoon

Post by technology4617 »

Adsolution wrote:Is that true though? I'm pretty sure you could do almost anything in Conker's hairy butthole, provided he's pinned down, even play GTA V.
I should've told them that. :P

I added some more details to my previous post, and removed some of the juvenile insults.

On topic, one of the most overrated games I've played is Outlast. It is incredibly scary, no doubt, and gives you a distinct sense of dread (and also is pretty difficult), but it's honestly just a quick scare that never really sticks with you. What I mean is, the game really isn't that memorable, as it does what it does quite well, but it doesn't do enough. Games like the Silent Hill trilgoy will leave you with lasting memories, as the games don't only feel like horror games, but near-perfect creations that seem to be expressly designed for going above and beyond your expectations. Each game feels like it has its own personality, its own soul, but Outlast feels like a bunch of recycled scares mashed together into an admittedly well-done, yet incredibly unoriginal, game.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

I'm playing Banjo Kazooie all the way through for the first time now (I've only played Treasure Trove Cove before a long time ago at a friend's house, though I remembered it very well), and while I think I may have been a bit too harsh on it in the past, I obviously have a more objective stance now, and I still stand by my belief on it being overrated.

Don't get me wrong, I found myself enjoying a fair amount of this game, and some select portions thoroughly so, but my main problem with it is that beyond Banjo's wonderfully fluent and beautifully animated mechanics, the level design is really not very good, and the level art feels rather uninspired, bar the very first hub area in the game, which I can almost compare to Kokiri Forest.

- To expand upon the level design, it rarely offers a challenge, it's mostly just walking, jumping or climbing from one spot to the next and collecting/finding stuff along the way. I don't think this would be a problem if it were one particular mission or just for one level, but it's virtually the entire game. There's no pacing or any kind of satisfaction from beating a level, you just collect everything then go back to the start and that's it. No boss fight or climax; I always feel like I'm missing something, but then I'll check the stats screen and see that I've gotten 100% on the level. Given that this is the whole game, I once again don't think this would be as bad if they would have provided you with more of a challenge than simply exploring. It's almost impossible to die or even get damaged, you can just trot around pretty much every enemy on the field, and the only reason you'd ever need to kill one is if you needed eggs, feathers or health, the first two of which are scattered about the levels in surplus anyway, and the latter being something you'd only lose by confronting an enemy in the first place, or stupidly forgetting to hover down after a long fall, and even then you have six hitpoints and you lose nothing when you die, you just respawn at the starting point of the very small levels, and you can get right back to where you were probably within thirty seconds. On top of this all, like mentioned, the worlds I find are much too small and accessible from every angle, but the platform design in general don't really accommodate your mechanics very well, they're just there, without much forethought as to what would actually make fun and intelligent level design. However, in spite of everything, I find that its saving grace are how fun and fluid the core mechanics are. With that in mind, better level design could only have made the game that much better.

- As for the level/environment art itself, some areas like the aforementioned hub at the start are downright beautiful, but other areas (unfortunately, the majority of them), feel like Super Mario 64 rip-offs, but none done as well. Since I feel a comparison is necessary, in Super Mario 64, while the textures are generally spread-out in combination with being very low-resolution, it all fits together to form a 'painting', which is basically my word for the perfect unity/synchronisation/communication between all the modelling, texturing and level design. Half the textures in Banjo Kazooie look like they all come from different cheap stock sources, and the other half look like tinted, randomly-generated noise.

To me, it sort of comes off as a generic cutesy, relatively forgettable platformer with a surprising amount of effort put into certain areas (ironically making it somewhat more memorable). Again, this is far from being a bad game, it's still on the good side as like said before I found myself enjoying it quite a bit here and there, but I don't understand why it's considered the staple of everyone's childhood. It became even more obvious how everybody almost madly adores this game for reasons I can't presently fathom when I mentioned my thoughts on the game to two acquaintances (completely unrelated to eachother), and they got really defensive over it. For me it doesn't even come anywhere close to approaching the artistic integrity of something like Rayman 2 or the challenge/fun of Super Mario 64.
Dark Lum Lord
Carnivora
Tings: 12670

Post by Dark Lum Lord »

technology4617 wrote:
Adsolution wrote:
Hunchman801 wrote:
Rayfist wrote:Grand Theft Auto V: Now I'm really excited to play GTA V when it comes out on PC, and I'm in no way saying it's bad, but it's ridiculously overhyped/overrated. And it's far from what I'd call 'Game of The Year'.
I enjoy this game a lot but I have to agree it's received too much praise.
While I agree that the game is generally overrated to an extent, I also find it to be quite underrated by those who call it overrated. To me, it's only "slightly" overrated, in that, while it's not "the greatest game of all time" like many make it out to be, I'd still quite easily list it as my Game of the Year.
As Conker's Bad Fur Day is my favorite game of all time, I had a friend of a friend tell me that GTA was "objectively" considered a "MUCH better game" than Conker's Bad Fur Day by "everyone," because of "all [the] stuff you can do that you can't do in Conker's Hairy Butthole [or some shit like that]." :roll: Moronic fucking morons. Apparently humor (which is considered "nothing but vulgar jokes by a five-year-old" by my friend and friend's friend), story, and overall lasting impression on you have no impact on the game's quality, but just the fucking gameplay. I guess Silent Hill 2 and The Walking Dead are terrible games, then. I know that everyone has differing opinions, but at least I attempt to recognize that. Also, which I brought up with them, Conker's Bad Fur Day and GTA V have pretty similar ratings (with GTA admittedly having a *slight* edge, albeit a very slight one), so "objectively speaking," they're considered equals, with Conker's Bad Fur Day having a much more significant impact on the gaming industry.

From what I have seen of the game, it looks pretty immensely overrated. Sure, it can be fun, but all it is is the same thing over and over.

I'd need to actually get GTA V in order for me to have a final verdict for the game, but it honestly doesn't appeal to me all that much from what I've seen. Red Dead Redemption seems to be much more my thing.
Ah, I also love Conker. One of my favorite games, though I wouldn't say it's my favorite of all time. I don't quite have a number one favorite game.
#Rubber mark#
Murfy
Tings: 83021

Post by #Rubber mark# »

I loved the multiplayer in Conker, so much fun wit dem homies. FUCK I'M GETTING OLD.
Dark Lum Lord
Carnivora
Tings: 12670

Post by Dark Lum Lord »

Adsolution wrote:I'm playing Banjo Kazooie all the way through for the first time now (I've only played Treasure Trove Cove before a long time ago at a friend's house, though I remembered it very well), and while I think I may have been a bit too harsh on it in the past, I obviously have a more objective stance now, and I still stand by my belief on it being overrated.

Don't get me wrong, I found myself enjoying a fair amount of this game, and some select portions thoroughly so, but my main problem with it is that beyond Banjo's wonderfully fluent and beautifully animated mechanics, the level design is really not very good, and the level art feels rather uninspired, bar the very first hub area in the game, which I can almost compare to Kokiri Forest.

- To expand upon the level design, it rarely offers a challenge, it's mostly just walking, jumping or climbing from one spot to the next and collecting/finding stuff along the way. I don't think this would be a problem if it were one particular mission or just for one level, but it's virtually the entire game. There's no pacing or any kind of satisfaction from beating a level, you just collect everything then go back to the start and that's it. No boss fight or climax; I always feel like I'm missing something, but then I'll check the stats screen and see that I've gotten 100% on the level. Given that this is the whole game, I once again don't think this would be as bad if they would have provided you with more of a challenge than simply exploring. It's almost impossible to die or even get damaged, you can just trot around pretty much every enemy on the field, and the only reason you'd ever need to kill one is if you needed eggs, feathers or health, the first two of which are scattered about the levels in surplus anyway, and the latter being something you'd only lose by confronting an enemy in the first place, or stupidly forgetting to hover down after a long fall, and even then you have six hitpoints and you lose nothing when you die, you just respawn at the starting point of the very small levels, and you can get right back to where you were probably within thirty seconds. On top of this all, like mentioned, the worlds I find are much too small and accessible from every angle, but the platform design in general don't really accommodate your mechanics very well, they're just there, without much forethought as to what would actually make fun and intelligent level design. However, in spite of everything, I find that its saving grace are how fun and fluid the core mechanics are. With that in mind, better level design could only have made the game that much better.

- As for the level/environment art itself, some areas like the aforementioned hub at the start are downright beautiful, but other areas (unfortunately, the majority of them), feel like Super Mario 64 rip-offs, but none done as well. Since I feel a comparison is necessary, in Super Mario 64, while the textures are generally spread-out in combination with being very low-resolution, it all fits together to form a 'painting', which is basically my word for the perfect unity/synchronisation/communication between all the modelling, texturing and level design. Half the textures in Banjo Kazooie look like they all come from different cheap stock sources, and the other half look like tinted, randomly-generated noise.

To me, it sort of comes off as a generic cutesy, relatively forgettable platformer with a surprising amount of effort put into certain areas (ironically making it somewhat more memorable). Again, this is far from being a bad game, it's still on the good side as like said before I found myself enjoying it quite a bit here and there, but I don't understand why it's considered the staple of everyone's childhood. It became even more obvious how everybody almost madly adores this game for reasons I can't presently fathom when I mentioned my thoughts on the game to two acquaintances (completely unrelated to eachother), and they got really defensive over it. For me it doesn't even come anywhere close to approaching the artistic integrity of something like Rayman 2 or the challenge/fun of Super Mario 64.
I can see where you're coming from. It's nice to finally get a good explanation as to why you don't relish it all that much. Personally, I love the game, though it can get boring after awhile. That's why I might pick it up randomly one day and play it for a week, only to leave it collecting dust on the shelf for another three months or more. I have the same feeling towards plenty of other games, too. I would normally be going into wall text mode by now, but I feel drained. That, and I feel that you explained it perfectly enough.
Last edited by Dark Lum Lord on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
technology4617
Antitoon

Post by technology4617 »

On a related-ish note, I sorta feel that way about Rayman Designer, as the game is engaging and you can spend quite a bit of time trying to pass a level, but it kind of ends up feeling like a boring experience overall, to me anyway. Eh, it's a good way to kill time during my school's lunch break, I suppose.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist »

Bump for interesting discussion.

(One of my favorite franchises here)As much as I love the original Megaman X, I felt X2 was a far superior game that not only improved on the gameplay mechanics but had a better story as well. Yet for some reason, everyone forgets X2,X3,X4,and X5 even fucking exist because X1 is so amazing. I do love Megaman X1 but X2 is so overshadowed by it because of how much of an impact it made. The gameplay on Megaman X still remains flawless, but X2 improved upon that, yet nostalgic fools will always try to tell you X1 is superior. Considering Megaman X is one of my favorite series of all time, it's hard for me to call the first one in the series 'overrated', but it really is, at least in comparison to X2. X2 even had superior level design in my opinion, although I will say the intro stage from X1 is pretty great. In short I don't think X's endless amount of praise is not deserved, I'm saying basically that hardly anyone cared for X2 just because of how amazing X1 is. Which is really a shame.

Minecraft. I get you can make some really creative stuff on here but honestly? I'd prefer using legos. Minecrafts endless opportunities with blocks are just too much really, I won't doubt people have made some truly impressive stuff with it but honestly I don't see how some people have the attention span to work with making these huge creations. I'd rather spend my time doing this type of work else where, I'm just not into these "endless" type games anymore.

Basically the N64 in general. Honestly, I do think a lot of games on the 64 have REALLY shown there age. I'll never understand why the console got the praise it did for its library, aside from Nintendo exclusives, N64 had some of the WORST third party support I have ever seen. There were some awesome Nintendo exclusives, but other than the support of rare, a bit of minor support from Ubisoft, what good games was there worth owning on 64? I have around 40 games for the system and hardly any of those games are good outside of Nintendo exclusives are actually good. Sure, it was graphically, far better than PS1, but I think PS1 has aged way better, to throw in comparison, I think Crash Bandicoot, while yes, a linear game that has you moving forward, has far more color than any 64 game I've seen (not counting Majoras Mask since that's actually one of my favorite games of all time.) The games ran at a better framerate. The N64 was endlessly praised because people grew up with it. And Mario 64 did set the bar for what 3D platformers should be like. I still take out my N64 time from time to play some platformers, but the N64 was very dull in terms of a robust library, and the fact that you had to buy an expansion pack just to improve the performance of few games just shows there was clearly a problem with developing for the system. People endlessly praise it without realizing it really isn't as amazing as they make it out to be, your childhood does not equal everyone's. You can show any modern day kid Spyro and he'll understand what he's looking at, show him a game like Golden Eye or Mario 64 and it'll take him a while to properly configure what the fuck is going on.

Metal Gear Solid, the original. What's that, another one of my favorite game franchises here? I do think the original MGS was very overrated and people are so blindly attached to it. I love it to death still, but it clearly has its flaws. Story wise I think it was excellent, not a single plot hole detected, because of this people always ignore any of the flaws in the gameplay. The game is incredibly linear and there aren't many ways of being stealthy. Twin Snakes came around offering more options of being stealthy and improved all the flaws of the gameplay in MGS 1. Yet Twin Snakes was bashed to oblivion. I was ashamed they ruined some of the great lines, but I still think gameplay wise it was superior. And there's really NO reason to replay through the game other than the VR missions, replayability for me is an important factor in a videogame. I really have to question those who hold MGS 1 in higher regard than 3. MGS 3 is one of my favorite videogames of all time and it amazes me some people are so attached to one because of there nostalgia they won't accept the fact MGS 3 gameplay wise is flawless in every regard. I still love MGS 1 to death, I just can't stand the fans who make it out like it's the second coming of christ.

Pokemon. Don't get me wrong, I love Emerald to death. As you all know, I'm kind of big on RPG's now, ever since I played Earthbound it really just showed me how shallow Pokemon was in comparison. I was never exposed to other RPG's. Pokemon has always felt rather easy, the only difficult Pokemon game was Yellow. Games like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound I feel just have so much love put into them, as of recently you think Pokemon only exist for the sake of marketing really, instead of even trying to deliver a truly beautiful immersive experience. I think Blue/Red/and Yellow have aged terribly, still fun to pick up every now and then but there some of the worst looking games on the Gameboy. I can understand the appeal back then, but it's just so pointless to play now if you own Fire Red or Leaf Green. Those who are obsessed with Pokemon REALLY need to try out other RPG's, people really do act as if Pokemon is the BEST RPG franchise ever when it really lacks, there are certainly far better RPG's with so much more attention to detail. Pokemon Emerald use to be my favorite RPG but it grew on me a bit. They're still games I can pick up and enjoy but man do they feel so shallow in comparison to other RPG's. I do think Pokemon X was really great though. I might sound a tad blunt here but I'm not sure why people continue playing the series in such ways it was hardly intended for. Pokemon has seen such a steady decline lately, Black/White and its sequels are a great example of this. While X and Y made a good recovery, the Ruby and Sapphire remakes already had me looking down once again. To see one of my favorite regions lose a few of it's amazing features, is really a shame. Not only that but to see it casualized really worries me. The Pokemon franchise is already fairly easy, to see it becoming easier isn't a good sign.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D
Pirez
Globox
Tings: 98075

Post by Pirez »

Oh what an interesting topic. Here are mine. I won't include Hyrule Warriors because the topic isn't named "Games you hate but everybody likes"

Dark Chronicle (PS2) : The sequel to Dark Cloud was anticipated as longer, better rendered, with deeper mechanics and ideas. But the cell-shaded render has definitely not aged well, the game is much slower than Dark Cloud and it's less user-friendly. Also the characters are not very interesting. Huge disappointment for me.

Halo 2 : It was supposed to be the best in the serie, but I think it got that title after players realized that the story in Halo 3 was god awful from beginning to end. In fact, they quickly forget that the story and environment-design of the 2nd part of Halo 2 is also god-awful. But I'd give credit for one thing : it went where I wanted it to go in the beginning. I wanted to know more about the covenants, got that. I wanted more diversity in weapons, got that. But it all goes downhill when they go back to the other space onion ring. Countless time did I lose myself in environments way too dark for battle that played themselves. Also Tartarus is a terrible end boss. In the end I don't dislike it, I just think it's kinda meh. Halo 1 was definitely better IMO.

2D Sonic games : I think the idea of an overly fast gameplay is stupid to begin with. You go fast, you crash on an enemy you couldn't see because you're too fast, repeat. Also the game design of some Sonic games force you to go slower across the levels (Labyrinth Zone), so what's the point? I think they are decent games with a kickass soundtrack, and the storytelling in Sonic 3 is brilliant. But they are not worth the pedestal they are on today.
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Post by Ambidextroid »

I agree that a lot of the 2-D Sonic games are overrated for basically the same reason. I know a lot of people thought Sonic in 3-D sucked, but I much preferred the 3-D parts of Sonic Generations than any of the 2-D parts to be honest. In 3-D you can see everything coming at you and you can dodge them and this lets you go really fast, and that's fun. In the 2-D games you had to keep stopping and turning around and dodging enemies etc. and if you go too fast then you'll just fall off somewhere or hit an enemy that you couldn't see off screen. I've played to completion only Sonic CD and Sonic Gerations and I liked the 3-D parts of SG better. SCD was a great game and I like the music more, but the fast 3-D action was more fun.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

Pirez wrote: I think the idea of an overly fast gameplay is stupid to begin with. You go fast, you crash on an enemy you couldn't see because you're too fast, repeat. Also the game design of some Sonic games force you to go slower across the levels (Labyrinth Zone), so what's the point? I think they are decent games with a kickass soundtrack, and the storytelling in Sonic 3 is brilliant. But they are not worth the pedestal they are on today.
Very, very disagreed. Me and a friend of mine had the same argument about this. It's been a big subject lately among gaming, that maybe Sonic was never good. The one flaw I hear over and over again is the "constant slowdown". Other than Sonic 1, I highly disagree with this "critique" people throw out. Sonic 2 and 3 introduced a mechanic called the "spindash." With this, the argument of slowing down is no longer present. The spindash allowed you to gain all your momentum back in less than half a second. I personally think Sonic 2,3, and CD are very deserving of its praise. However I do think Sonic 1 is indeed very flawed, the spindash was not present, making it so you will have to stop dead in your tracks very often. It's sad but I think people are really misunderstanding what we TRULY loved about the original Sonic games, the speed was a nice gimmick, but what made these games so good was it's incredible level design and themes, along with the simple yet quirky universe itself.

The argument that "Sonic games make you slowdown, therefore they aren't good" really is getting old, I'm seeing this everywhere lately. There's a reason why people enjoyed the games, it isn't "nostalgia" if we still enjoy the games to this day. It's sad how I see former fans of the classic franchise now thinking "Maybe Sonic really wasn't good?" despite the fact these people started playing classic Sonic about two or three years ago. Again, I do think this argument is reasonable for Sonic 1, but I don't see how this applies for 2,3, and CD, the spindash mechanic was invented soley for those who hated having all there momentum lost, yet I swear, nobody ever brings it up, the spindash also makes you invincible mostly. It just really is not a valid argument when that ability is around, it's really like playing Megaman without shooting.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Harpic fraîcheur
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Harpic fraîcheur »

OldClassicGamer wrote:Skylanders Swap Force
I already played a Skylanders game (Spyro's adventure or anything like that..), I loved it.. But I also think that Swap Force is shit...
Une nouvelle vague de fraîcheur, Harpic fraîcheur verte ! :D
Image Image
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Pirez wrote:players realized that the story in Halo 3 was god awful from beginning to end.
What players? I've never heard that before.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

I've always wanted to check out the Halo franchise. Most of my friends only play it exclusively for the online.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Pirez
Globox

Post by Pirez »

Adsolution wrote:
Pirez wrote:players realized that the story in Halo 3 was god awful from beginning to end.
What players? I've never heard that before.
All of the friends I've played Halo 3 with. And they're not an evil society of cynics.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Are the sure about that? Everyone I've played Halo with has said the opposite.
Harpic fraîcheur
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Harpic fraîcheur »

Rayman Raving Rabbids
Une nouvelle vague de fraîcheur, Harpic fraîcheur verte ! :D
Image Image
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Gonna have to clarify that one, I've seen some fans who haven't let go of that to this day.
Pirez
Globox

Post by Pirez »

Adsolution wrote:Are the sure about that? Everyone I've played Halo with has said the opposite.
Well they were stunned by the disregard of the Halo mythos build in Halo 2, especially regarding the floods, who turn to speechless jerks to talking allies to speechless jerks again, sometimes in a span of thirty seconds. They wanted to see more of character development for the Arbiter. They hated the role given to Cortana. They hated the plot twist and the final boss, as they thought it was a bit anticlimactic.