Off Topic

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu
Tings: 176605

Re: Off Topic

Post by Rayfist »

Bradandez wrote:So what do you guys fear now that Minecraft is under Microsoft's control?
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D
Serza5
Mr Dark
Tings: 486315

Post by Serza5 »

Also
Words of Wisdom :
Master wrote:< can't compete with Serz, her power level is too great.
Hoodcom wrote:^^^ does underestimate the power of the mighty Serza. You shall beheaded for your insult to the Queen of Scotland. :mefiant:
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

@Rayfist: Lololol
Bradandez wrote:So what do you guys fear now that Minecraft is under Microsoft's control?
It's probably for the better. I'd feel the same way if I were in Notch's position, I'm sure he'd like to work on something else instead of Minecraftminecraftminecraftminecraft. I wouldn't be surprised if he was looking to sell it.
Phoenixan
Ursula
Tings: 26333

Post by Phoenixan »

Who's ready for some Minecraft DEWRITOS?
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

It's not the buying out that I'm bothered about, it's the MS factor. Had it been say Valve, I might have been more comfortable. But given how MS has the Xbox and its own platforms, I'm worried that other platforms might end up losing out as time goes on. Valve has its own platform too, I guess, but they've tended to be much fairer with multiplatform support.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone
Tings: 67030

Post by Shrooblord »

Rayfist wrote:I wouldn't know since I'm not a mod but I'd really think that kind of stuff doesn't go down well with them...
But it's not really about getting brownie points with the moderation team. It's about being an inspiring person in general. To be a mod here requires you to have common sense, common decency and apt behaviour when things go awry, not to be ever dominant, ever vigilant and ever punishing (though, for some, I expect, this is a calling they will heed). What I mean with that is that you need to be someone who the community can trust as a person, i.e. reasonable and kind yet stern when necessary. You need to be one of us as much as the next person is, except you have the authority to call out on people's bad behaviour.

===

Yes, Minecraft in Microsoft's hands may very well mean the focus will be shifted more towards the Xbox consoles than the PC, but who knows. They've done some pretty terrible things with games, but they're not all bad. Let's wait it out I guess, then judge.
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~! (Or here.)
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
rolesfamily
Uglette
Tings: 74925

Post by rolesfamily »

Phoenixan wrote:Who's ready for some Minecraft DEWRITOS?
I'm sorry but holy shit Phoenixan :o

Remember me man?

Rayman Zone?
Signature made by Harpic fraîcheur
Rayfist
Sandra Misu
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist »

Uh... Thanks Shroob? I didn't need to know that much info as most of that is common sense I was simply calling out OCG. The brownie points thing I said jokingly, I mean gain there trust in you as a person.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D
Phoenixan
Ursula

Post by Phoenixan »

rolesfamily wrote:

Remember me man?

Rayman Zone?
I sure do! :)
rolesfamily
Uglette

Post by rolesfamily »

Phoenixan wrote:
rolesfamily wrote:

Remember me man?

Rayman Zone?
I sure do! :)
You're definitely a name I remembe rfrom back then! One of the originals! Glad you remembre me man, but lets face it how couldn't you?! ;) It's a shame a lot of the people around this forum now were never proper Rayman Zone members. Bring back the oldies!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Shrooblord wrote:But it's not really about getting brownie points with the moderation team. It's about being an inspiring person in general. To be a mod here requires you to have common sense, common decency and apt behaviour when things go awry, not to be ever dominant, ever vigilant and ever punishing (though, for some, I expect, this is a calling they will heed). What I mean with that is that you need to be someone who the community can trust as a person, i.e. reasonable and kind yet stern when necessary. You need to be one of us as much as the next person is, except you have the authority to call out on people's bad behaviour.
I think you're trying to disagree with something more literal in order to substitute much more vague terminology for some reason, but in the end, they're two different ways of describing the same exact thing. Obviously when it comes down to the candidature process, different things will be weighed-out, so mathematically, you could refer to that unit of measurement as brownie points they've gained by doing things that one would approve of, and losing points for things that one wouldn't. I'm pretty sure that's what Rayfist meant.
Phoenixan
Ursula

Post by Phoenixan »

rolesfamily wrote:You're definitely a name I remembe rfrom back then! One of the originals! Glad you remembre me man, but lets face it how couldn't you?! ;) It's a shame a lot of the people around this forum now were never proper Rayman Zone members. Bring back the oldies!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Come this December, I would have been registered here a full decade. :tssk:
rolesfamily
Uglette

Post by rolesfamily »

Phoenixan wrote:
rolesfamily wrote:You're definitely a name I remembe rfrom back then! One of the originals! Glad you remembre me man, but lets face it how couldn't you?! ;) It's a shame a lot of the people around this forum now were never proper Rayman Zone members. Bring back the oldies!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Come this December, I would have been registered here a full decade. :tssk:
Well god damn. I never ended up joining this place in the days of RZ, I guess I was too noobish to figure it out.

Although come to think of it, I very much doubt I'd have been invited! :lol: :lol:
Phoenixan
Ursula

Post by Phoenixan »

I actually don't remember why I originally joined this place other than, "hey it's a place with active admins." Because on the original RaymanZone, the admins were more like mythical beings who'd show up and apply a server or forum update once in a blue moon.
Shrooblord wrote: Yes, Minecraft in Microsoft's hands may very well mean the focus will be shifted more towards the Xbox consoles than the PC, but who knows. They've done some pretty terrible things with games, but they're not all bad. Let's wait it out I guess, then judge.
rolesfamily
Uglette

Post by rolesfamily »

When it comes to moderation here, I think the dial is turned up a few notches too high (hah I said notches whilst we're having a minecraft discussion) - that's just my opinion.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Just for note, not everything a moderator says in argument is moderation. My last post directed at OCG was just me talking. :P

Actual moderation does occur, but not even very frequently, it's mostly against people who are lying multiple times in a critical situation, cheating, spamming with malintent, deliberately ignoring rules with no good reason, or being horribly unpleasant to the detriment of others. Essentially common-sense things. Freedom of speech is very much allowed, in fact, I'd say that given our policy for a lack of censorship, for being a non-anarchist society, we're much more reasonable than most forums.
technology4617
Antitoon
Tings: 10

Post by technology4617 »

I feel like I'm going to get anally raped for this, but a minor quibble I have is that I feel as though the attitudes toward newcomers are a bit too...harsh. I remember when I came here, and was completely new to general forum culture, when I said "the wrong things," per se, I was met with not-so-friendly (albeit admittedly understandable) responses, which made me feel somewhat apprehensive and nervous when I posted here. While I feel these sorts of responses would be totally fine towards members that have been here a while and know the forum fairly well, I think that the mod team and members in general should be a bit more lax and/or word stuff a bit more nicely towards newcomers, because, let's face it, they're clueless. :P
emshomar wrote:< just managed it to clog the toilet ._.
< made a great buisness (wow in english that sounds even better :D )
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Understandable, I admit my running into with you was me being relatively new to the job, only a month fresh. In addition though, it's often the case where newcomers will become offended by even the most polite nudges, as if they're expecting to actually have extra privileges until they're used to the place, or have their wrongdoings not corrected at all. No, we'll just be more kind and polite towards them because they honestly didn't know better!
rolesfamily
Uglette

Post by rolesfamily »

I agree with your Technology. I almost left within a short while, in fairness it was due to my own silly actions. But as a new-comer this place can feel very hostile at times. It's one of the hardest forums I've found to fit in, mainly because I don't think I'm a typical personality on this board. My biggest mistake was thinking that this place didn't have any standards. It's quite the opposite.

I think a lot of the intimidation comes from the high standards. A lot of the characters here are very specific, like details, and will totally pick you up on something if you say something out of line or even if you cock up something in your sentence. You do feel under scrutiny. And it's not as if you'll be told gently, you'll usually get it stuck to you! HARD!

BUT, as Adsolution said (which was a very good post actually, put a lot of things into perspective) - that a lot of that ISN'T the Moderation as such. It's actually the Mods personalities. The moderation comes after that. It's very easy to associate the 2 together. Which I'm learning rapidly after reading Ad's post!

I love this place a lot and I'm glad I didn't leave. It takes a long while to warm up to the coldness of this place. But it's worth it in the end, and you slowly understand how to behave and what to avoid etc. It's a very odd mix this place. As I said, I first thought this place had no real rules & standards & just a place to go wild.

It's very odd, yet awesome the components of this forum culture.

One side: Super lax, fun, warm & welcoming & super community driven

Other side: cold, aggressive, confrontational, intimidating, will whip your ass
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I didn't have major issues during my moderation, except for that Bot army that popped up from nowhere, and one member that was smartain enough to get a small punishment from myself. He learned his lesson at least.