Off Topic

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
rolesfamily
Uglette
Tings: 74925

Re: Off Topic

Post by rolesfamily »

A lot of you for the most part are out of the same mold :P On paper, I seriously don't fit in here.

I'm not even sure if I do fit in here!
Signature made by Harpic fraîcheur
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

The standards probably rose as a result of this place having been around for so long; most forums die or are revamped, change ownership, etc. in this amount of time. You can identify the linear timeline of its evolution, which is pretty awesome!
rolesfamily
Uglette
Tings: 74925

Post by rolesfamily »

And then a big dip in the graph when I signed up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Signature made by Harpic fraîcheur
saerleiya
Premier Grand Mini
Tings: 5782

Post by saerleiya »

Adsolution wrote:Understandable, I admit my running into with you was me being relatively new to the job, only a month fresh.
You were doing that before too: I remember getting my ass kicked by your personal attention the first few months I arrived here because my English wasn't as good as it is now. It stil hurts!

The only way I've seen harsh answers being sent to newcomers is about redundant topics: some people actually answer a bit too harsh sometimes, rather than simply redirecting people towards the right one.
rolesfamily wrote:I think a lot of the intimidation comes from the high standards. A lot of the characters here are very specific, like details, and will totally pick you up on something if you say something out of line or even if you cock up something in your sentence. You do feel under scrutiny. And it's not as if you'll be told gently, you'll usually get it stuck to you! HARD!
I disagree with that, personally. I think that it's more people not being able to "ridicule" their mistakes (is it the right expression) to make others understand they accepted it and moved on. It can be due to several newcomers being in their teenage years when they arrived, therefore taking remarks very negatively (I know that, I was behaving like this until roughly two years ago :P).
rolesfamily wrote:A lot of you for the most part are out of the same mold :P On paper, I seriously don't fit in here.
Erf, wanna talk about me? Who is going to be a mechanical engineer here? Most people share passions around art and programming on this forum. Screw this feeling, I've enjoyed being here so far because I usually like people not having exactly the same interests as me.
Adsolution wrote:The standards probably rose as a result of this place having been around for so long
That's true: New members are mainly in their teenage years, while older ones already reached their early twenties or are getting close to it. The maturity of some mods and members actually rose the standards over time to keep the forum in its good manners.
rolesfamily wrote:And then a big dip in the graph when I signed up :lol: :lol: :lol:
I posted nothing during 10 months. :lol:
Adsolution wrote:
saerleiya wrote:RayFag'
Aahh, you're exposing my Rule34 account.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone
Tings: 67030

Post by Shrooblord »

Adsolution wrote:I'm pretty sure that's what Rayfist meant.
Of course I wasn't calling him out for not defining brownie points as such. We all know what the idea of brownie points means. But I was just pointing out that it's the wrong kind of thinking; to become a moderator, you don't have to be the person who sucks up to the team and 'proves to them how worthy you are', no, you need to be worthy of us respecting you with the kind of power you have as a moderator.
Basically, you need to be able to go about and deal with people like anyone else would in a normal, friendly way.

Not disagreeing with Rayfist here exactly or trying to make his thoughts look bad, just reminding everyone what it takes to be a moderator: not the connections to the right people, but the life skills.

Sadly, the world of rulership works very differently sometimes...
===

I am surprised by you guys' perception on how we receive newcomers. I would say, in contrast to what you've been pointing out, that we are exactly a very relaxed and mellow group of people. Just don't come barging in knocking doors down and you'll be fine. We may call you out on some minor things like double posting, but otherwise, I'd say this place is very receptive and open-minded. Everyone, more or less, can find a home here.
Just behave with some decency, is all. Leave people's dignity intact, treat everyone equally, basically: be a cool person, not a massive asshole.

Our lack of a topic with 'the forum rules' strongly highlights that; you shouldn't need some text telling you how you treat people. You should naturally treat others well.

Or maybe that's just my perception of our treatment to new ones!
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~! (Or here.)
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Shrooblord wrote:Of course I wasn't calling him out for not defining brownie points as such. We all know what the idea of brownie points means. But I was just pointing out that it's the wrong kind of thinking; to become a moderator, you don't have to be the person who sucks up to the team and 'proves to them how worthy you are', no, you need to be worthy of us respecting you with the kind of power you have as a moderator.
Basically, you need to be able to go about and deal with people like anyone else would in a normal, friendly way.

Not disagreeing with Rayfist here exactly or trying to make his thoughts look bad, just reminding everyone what it takes to be a moderator: not the connections to the right people, but the life skills.

Aye, but here, what you perceive to be brownie (good-will) points and what we do would likely be identical. It would be obvious if a member were sucking up to the staff in a bad way, and they would lose brownie points - credibility points - leadership points - role model points - for that.
Shrooblord wrote:I am surprised by you guys' perception on how we receive newcomers. I would say, in contrast to what you've been pointing out, that we are exactly a very relaxed and mellow group of people. Just don't come barging in knocking doors down and you'll be fine. We may call you out on some minor things like double posting, but otherwise, I'd say this place is very receptive and open-minded. Everyone, more or less, can find a home here.
Just behave with some decency, is all. Leave people's dignity intact, treat everyone equally, basically: be a cool person, not a massive asshole.

Our lack of a topic with 'the forum rules' strongly highlights that; you shouldn't need some text telling you how you treat people. You should naturally treat others well.
This, all of it.
saerleiya
Premier Grand Mini

Post by saerleiya »

Shrooblord wrote:Just behave with some decency, is all. Leave people's dignity intact, treat everyone equally, basically: be a cool person, not a massive asshole.

Yep, but it's sometimes hard to explain that to people coming here, especially for a forum related to such a famous character (I mean, Rayman is not as famous as some other guys out there, but he's still a decent member of the video game history).

That's also what is interesting about this forum: its members actually care a lot about maturity and a very decent behaviour from the community. Main example is that we are writing some "troll" and "very nasty but second degree" comments from time to time, but people without a certain level of maturity and understanding might not take it so easily.

I would say that people who want to grow up in terms of maturity actually stay here way longer than intended with members already experienced enough to talk calmly and peacefully about topics around Rayman. This forum learnt me a few things about real life, and it's not something which is very common on the Internet.
Adsolution wrote:
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

Aye. I often view this place as a kind of local pub where people come to hang out and chat. It follows a similar code of ethics.
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
saerleiya
Premier Grand Mini

Post by saerleiya »

Shrooblord wrote:Aye. I often view this place as a kind of local pub where people come to hang out and chat. It follows a similar code of ethics.
Except we only drink plum juice XD.
Adsolution wrote:
technology4617
Antitoon
Tings: 10

Post by technology4617 »

Adsolution wrote:Understandable, I admit my running into with you was me being relatively new to the job, only a month fresh. In addition though, it's often the case where newcomers will become offended by even the most polite nudges, as if they're expecting to actually have extra privileges until they're used to the place, or have their wrongdoings not corrected at all. No, we'll just be more kind and polite towards them because they honestly didn't know better!
Of course, I wasn't suggesting taking it to that much of an extreme and being kind to people that are totally off the wall, like globolk, for instance; I was simply saying that a minor quibble of mine was that I thought the standards for newcomers was only slightly too high, most of that relating to how people are phrasing what they're saying, not the substance anyway. The forum could go on fine exactly the way it is, I was moreso just noting an observation I made of a possible improvement for something that isn't a huge deal.
emshomar wrote:< just managed it to clog the toilet ._.
< made a great buisness (wow in english that sounds even better :D )
saerleiya
Premier Grand Mini

Post by saerleiya »

Taking a look at the stats of my channel on YouTube, I saw that somebody from RPC is probably living in Madagascar :lol: .

There is also a Dutch guy stalking me, but I don't know his/her (sexual) identity :hinhinhin:

I didn't know you had so much developped stats for channels. You can actually see where your subscribers are from, for example if your videos are more watched in the US, in Europe or just in Liechtenstein.

I'm learning stuff everyday :D...
Adsolution wrote:
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

saerleiya wrote:Taking a look at the stats of my channel on YouTube, I saw that somebody from RPC is probably living in Madagascar :lol: .
That'd be incognito.
incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

Damn it.

Yes im living in madagascar and im your father Saer.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

xD
The conclusions were drawn quickly.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist »

Shrooblord wrote:Not disagreeing with Rayfist here exactly or trying to make his thoughts look bad, just reminding everyone what it takes to be a moderator: not the connections to the right people, but the life skills.

I think you were really missing the point though, the brownie points thing was a joke ffs, a shorter way of saying basically what you said. You don't need to let us know common sense, a lot of us know this. :roll: You must think I'm one of those people that expect a payment from moderation, lol, yeah how much will you guys pay me for the job? XD
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D
saerleiya
Premier Grand Mini

Post by saerleiya »

I will draw you a thing o/.
Adsolution wrote:
MLII
Carmen
Tings: 43075

Post by MLII »

guess who went to hospital again

yeah

food is still shite tbh like i don't know how anyone can expect me at 16 to sustain myself on four chicken nuggets and a palm sized lump of mashed potato as a cooked meal but,,, sure. w/e. (fucking paediatric wards.)

on the plus side i am home now and managed to purloin another inhaler and a box of tissues. uwu
Rayfist
Sandra Misu
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist »

MLII wrote:food is still shite tbh like i don't know how anyone can expect me at 16 to sustain myself on four chicken nuggets and a palm sized lump of mashed potato as a cooked meal but,,, sure. w/e. (fucking paediatric wards.)
Are you shitting me? I would kill for Chicken Nuggets and Mashed potatoes.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D
MLII
Carmen
Tings: 43075

Post by MLII »

yeah that's all well and good but i got four

four
saerleiya
Premier Grand Mini

Post by saerleiya »

That's not a lot for a teenager, indeed :o.

Although sometimes I don't need to eat a lot to be okay, but I'm not growing up anymore.

Besides, my body seems to have a very strict policy about food: "you do sports? EAT! you lazy at home playing on your laptop? one meal for the entire day is fucking enough!"
Adsolution wrote: