Installing Rayman Arena on Windows 10

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Nac1
Lums
Tings: 35

Rayman Arena LAN servers

Post by Nac1 »

Since there are a few folks still playing this game (I’m assuming) does anyone know of a way to play on LAN remotely? I’m kind of bored and have some time to play so I was interested if anyone else is or has a way to play.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Re: Installing Rayman Arena on Windows 10

Post by Elite Piranha »

I would love to play Rayman Arena online, but I don't have the game or the right operating system.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8652

Post by deton24 »

Hamachi, Radmin VPN, even XFire has remote LAN hosting feature.
Just pity that that Tunngle is no more, because there were already set up dedicated rooms for each game.
Now you have to ask everyone to join to your room.
Don't how with XFire though, but it will be relatively dead anyway.

edit. I forgot Gameranger. It might be it. Try this out.
Nac1
Lums
Tings: 35

Post by Nac1 »

Cool I’ll try it out, just need folks who are down to play.
MagicShock
Électoon
Tings: 20

Post by MagicShock »

Hi there again,
I updated my Windows yesterday and this pop up when I opened Rayman. I tried to uncrack it and crack it, tried to run in Compatibility mode 2 and 3, tried to run in administrator mode, I tried reinstalling DirectX but nothing worked. Cn someone help me with this please? https://pasteboard.co/Jb37R8j.png

I can't check that disc crack box in the Rayman control panel. It asks me to open it as administrator and if it opens, nothing happens and I still can't check it.
Last edited by PluMGMK on Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: merged two posts
dr_st
Eig
Tings: 40813

Post by dr_st »

MagicShock wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:21 am Hi there again,
I updated my Windows yesterday and this pop up when I opened Rayman. I tried to uncrack it and crack it, tried to run in Compatibility mode 2 and 3, tried to run in administrator mode, I tried reinstalling DirectX but nothing worked. Cn someone help me with this please? https://pasteboard.co/Jb37R8j.png

I can't check that disc crack box in the Rayman control panel. It asks me to open it as administrator and if it opens, nothing happens and I still can't check it.
Which update was it? Did you install Win10 Version 2004? What version was there before?

I'm still on 1903, and I've just tested that Rayman Arena works. I had to use Rayman Control Panel to install it from the CD (because of old Installer incompatibility), then used the cracked MULTI3 executable from GameCopyWorld (mentioned earlier in the thread). The Widescreen version from PCGamingWiki also works, as it's also cracked.
Guywiddahhair
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by Guywiddahhair »

So i bought a new copy of Rayman Aren off Ebay. and this thread helped me out to run the game but now i'm trying to get the game copied to my brothers pc so we can play LAN with no success. ( Disk 2 required). I literally just made this account trying to message Raycarrot for the iso file i read about in the linked forums.
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

Well, strictly speaking, to legally play LAN games - shouldn't each of you have bought a copy? Otherwise, the cracked executables mentioned here should work.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

Shouldn't this be in the Modding & utilities section?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Technically, it's not about a mod or utility, although utilities can help with the topic. It's a bit of a grey area…
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

I don't mean a legal grey area, I mean which forum this topic should go in. :P
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

deton24 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:36 am Actually we all have been pushed to grey area since SafeDisc/SecuROM removal from the OS by simple update since you no longer can use your retail, original game and the game is not being sold at all in digital form.
Small (unrelated) fact check about this:
  • SafeDisc was disabled by updates on Vista/Win7/Win8, and can be reenabled. On Win10, you cannot do it, because it was never there to start.
  • SecuROM has not been disabled. You will find tons of websites that say it has, because they lump it up with SafeDisc. They are all wrong. I tested it personally. SecuROM games work just fine under Windows 10.
  • Of course, it doesn't matter for Rayman Arena, since that game uses SafeDisc.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Thanks for the fact check! So SafeDisc is part of Windows? I hadn't realized that…
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

I'm familiar with three major disk-based copy protection schemes from the 2000s. Interestingly they all begin with S: SafeDisc, SecuROM, StarForce.

SafeDisc and StarForce are implemented using low-level boot-start drivers. The one for SafeDisc (secdrv.sys) has been shipped with Windows, and is present in all versions, including Windows 10, but in Windows 10 it's forced-disabled and the service simply refuses to start even if you try to do so manually. There may be some unofficial hacks to force it to load regardless, but I'm not familiar with those. On Vista, 7, 8.1 - you can simply not install the patch that disables it, and SafeDisc games continue working.

StarForce drivers typically shipped with the games, and the company provided utilities for end-users to update or remove their drivers. Unfortunately, while later version of StarForce run on every Windows up to 10, early versions do not, and if a game executable is locked to a particular driver version that is too old, you are stuck.

As far as SecuROM goes, I'm not fully aware about how it works, but their FAQ claims that they use no driver, and no kernel-level component at all. This is probably while this scheme can more easily be circumvented by various utilities, and because of that SecuROM-protected games often refuse to load at all, if they detect specific programs running, such as CD drive emulators, or even Process Explorer (weird, huh?).
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Interesting! Does secdrv.sys open up a lot of security holes? I don't think it's like Microsoft to break backwards compatibility on purpose (despite what some people claim).
I guess Process Explorer does some low-level things that makes the games think it's a memory modifier?
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

PluMGMK wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:33 pm Does secdrv.sys open up a lot of security holes? I don't think it's like Microsoft to break backwards compatibility on purpose.
They found some things over the years, and patched them. I guessed at some point they decided they can't reasonably patch it any longer, since the original developers dropped support. Don't think they ever revealed whatever vulnerability was "the straw that broke the camel's back".
PluMGMK wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:33 pmI guess Process Explorer does some low-level things that makes the games think it's a memory modifier?
I think it includes a built-in driver of such nature.
Minor-T5
Knaaren
Tings: 5654

Post by Minor-T5 »

I know this is an old topic, but I just got a brand new copy of Rayman Arena on disc, I'm talking like still in the plastic wrapping. I've tried to install it normally, with control panel, and many other suggestions, but to no avail. Does anyone have any more recommendations?
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

Did you use the method outlined in my post above?
https://www.raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopi ... 8#p1414098

It would help to know what exactly the problem is. Won't install? Can't run setup? Can't run game? Crashes?

Also - which version of Windows 10, which CPU and GPU?