Rayman 3 PC - Hebrew and Russian versions

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 561434

Re: Rayman 3 PC Hebrew version - again

Post by Hunchman801 »

dr_st wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:57 pm
It would be awesome if they could somehow find you the program (or even better, the source to the algorithm) that validates the code and translates it to a score, and then you could just host it locally and be independent of third-party services.
Yeah, that's the idea here, because I can't seem to get in touch with anyone, but I'll keep trying!

Sorry about this guys, looks like Ubi forgot about us. :oops2:

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 11712

Post by dr_st »

PluMGMK wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:20 pm
dr_st wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:20 am
PluMGMK wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:24 pm
Well, the Polish and Russian versions include an extra Slapdash in FC, so at least one has to be official.
Good Lord, an extra Slapdash! That would affect the entire maximum score system! Where? Where? :mrgreen:
He's just standing there when you enter the council building (the first room of part 3). Cut (aka Fluorineer) did a stream on Twitch before where he tried to see if it could improve the maximum score. I don't think it ended up being very useful though.
Actually, I just realized that this Slapdash is in the Hebrew version as well. :lol:

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Is it? I'll update the wiki accordingly, then. :up:

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik

Re: Rayman 3 PC Hebrew and Russian versions

Post by dr_st »

So it was determined that the Russian translation by Buka is considered the official release. I haven't had the luck to obtain a physical copy yet, but I've got the ISOs and have been playing it happily, while creating placeholder pages in the Russian wiki for the translated names of levels (and soon, characters).

So far I've replayed up to the end of TLOTL with brief glimpses of the other levels, and noticed a couple of interesting things:

Translation mistakes
  • In TFC part 2, when Murfy reads the story to Rayman: instead of 'Globox took off with your hands' someone must have heard 'Globox took off with your help', and translated simply as 'You helped Globox escape'.
  • Later on, when Murphy explains to Rayman how to make a chopper of his hair, 'chopper' was translated as 'chopping knife' (резак) rather than 'helicopter'. Not completely a mistake, because the reasons a helicopter is called 'chopper' is due to the action of the blades which are like a chopping knife. Really, it should have been called 'propeller hair' all along.
  • Again, not completely a mistake, but in the beginning of HH when the Hostess announces the temperatures, the numbers were not translated from Fahrenheit to Celsius, as they were, for example, in French (and probably most non-English versions). Interestingly, the Hebrew version did change the numbers to something more meaningful in a country that uses Celsius, but did not do an accurate conversion.
Additional observations
  • Knaaren was translated properly as "Кнаарен" (and plural - Кнаарены/ов) throughout the game, except the level name as it appears in the menu, which reads something like 'Desert of the Knaar' instead of 'Desert of the Knaaren' (Пустыня Кнааров).
  • This is the big one, IMO: unlike the Hebrew version, and unlike all the other versions I saw (even Ubisoft-published ones, like French and German)L the text in the game textures was translated as well. This includes all the "Excellent", "Great", "Serial Shooter", "Combo", etc. overlays, and some of the banners seen throughout the game. For example the 'Wanted' poster at the beginning of the 2nd phase of BOM - see, e.g., this video.
  • The Russian version uses the same product code as the Hebrew one, and probably the same as the other language-exclusive releases (Slovak, Czech, Ukrainian, Polish?). This is different from the Ubisoft-published English/French/German/Spanish/Italian release. So you can have the Ubisoft 5-language version and one of the exclusives installed side-by-side on the same OS, but having more than one exclusive release will require a custom installer.
I will continue updating as I discover more and will edit the thread title and first post now, since this is now about the Russian version as well. :D
Last edited by dr_st on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZelenPixel
Boomboleros
Tings: 1720

Re: Rayman 3 PC - Hebrew and Russian versions

Post by ZelenPixel »

oh hell yea russian!! this is actually super interesting! hows the voice acting like? are the voices like. accurate to the english version (i hope they are)
ive only heard that the audio mixing was better but i wanna know how they actually Sound like
still cant find a good sig so i guess im reusing the one i have on mario boards

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik

Post by dr_st »

I've played through the first part of TSBTC (the ship level).

The voices are generally well-done, and the accents, intonations and timbres are quite accurate.

However, in a few spots, the mixing is poor - there is a lot of echo and voices sound muffled/distorted. So far the worst seems to be in DOTK - Reflux's speech when he captures Rayman is completely unintelligible (it's too quiet and drowned by the music), and Gumsi's parts are only a bit better.

Also, it looks like they forgot to translate the video at the end of DOTK with the 3 Teensie doctors and Andre tempting Reflux. It's in English.

ZelenPixel
Boomboleros

Post by ZelenPixel »

even the accents?? woah that sounds really good i really do gotta check this out sometime

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik

Post by dr_st »

Hebrew and Russian dialogues ripped and uploaded:
viewtopic.php?p=1366353#p1366353

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3895

Re: Rayman 3 PC Hebrew and Russian versions

Post by PluMGMK »

dr_st wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03 am
The Russian version uses the same product code as the Hebrew one, and probably the same as the other language-exclusive releases (Slovak, Czech, Ukrainian, Polish?). This is different from the Ubisoft-published English/French/German/Spanish/Italian release. So you can have the Ubisoft 5-language version and one of the exclusives installed side-by-side on the same OS, but having more than one exclusive release will require a custom installer.
Interesting, since they all have that extra Slapdash too. Who on earth decided to add that…

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik

Post by dr_st »

I suspect it may have been the other way around: The Slapdash was present in the original level files, which Ubisoft shared with the localization teams for the 'language-exclusive' releases (they must have given them the game in advance to work on). Then, while Ubisoft was working on the main version, they removed the Slapdash (it really doesn't make much sense for it to be there). Why I think this might be the case is because the exclusive versions also use the older Rayman M intro logo. Still, it's only a theory.

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3895

Post by PluMGMK »

Yeah, I was kinda thinking along those lines too. It makes more sense than any other way of imagining it…

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik

Post by dr_st »

Beat the first HH level so far. I remember now why I hate that Snowboard level. It's super easy to beat, but if you want to get a good score, it's a nightmare. Not even talking about all the crazy combos, just simple ones and getting all the gems. In the rest of the game Rayman seems to attract the gems (so that it's harder to avoid them at times than to collect them), here it's the other way around. It's like his collision box on the snowboard is 2 pixels wide - he literally misses gems that feel like he went right through them. Especially annoying for the green gem, since you only get one chance at comboing it (and even getting there without falling off earlier is tricky).

ZelenPixel
Boomboleros

Post by ZelenPixel »

yea you try your hardest and just end up missing a whole string of gems bruhhh at least the music slaps

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik

Post by dr_st »

Well, I'm in the third level of The Tower of The Leptys (the Armaguiddon level). At first I could not understand what Globox was saying in Russian in the cutscene at the beginning of the level, and then I realized that someone made a colossal blunder - instead of translating "brakes" as "тормоза", they translated "breaks" as "разломы" (as in 'fractures'). Like they didn't know a common everyday word, and chose an obscure one, completely out of context. I suppose they were translating directly from the audio, since watching the cutscene would have made such a mistake unlikely. And the "wanna lift?" part was completely skipped; I guess the translator just did not understand this phrase.

ZelenPixel
Boomboleros

Post by ZelenPixel »

mistranslations due to the translators not being given context seems to be rather common for russian localizations.. as far as i can tell from a whole bunch of "трудности перевода" videos i watchd (theyre super cool honestly.. would love to see something like taht for r3)
how often does this happen here anyway

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik

Post by dr_st »

Finished the game. The last levels brought nothing unexpected. Except pronunciation inconsistencies - Andre pronounces "Reflux" as "Рефлакс" whereas the text writes his name as "Рефлюкс". It is a common inconsistency when translating English voices versus English text, because English pronunciation is not phonetic.

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I believe this makes Rayman 3 the first game of the series to be translated into Russian, right?

ZelenPixel
Boomboleros

Post by ZelenPixel »

yea im pretty sure it is! the same team, buka, would later publish rayman raving rabbids too (maybe some others i dont remember) but the ubiart games seem to be handled by a different team i think its in house at ubi

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Yes, probably in-house. This is when the switch occurred from some terms (e.g. Тинси, Лум) to the others (Малютка, Люм).

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik

Post by dr_st »

PluMGMK wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:02 pm
Yeah, I was kinda thinking along those lines too. It makes more sense than any other way of imagining it…
You know, I realized what may have been the idea all along. At the end of TFC part 2 you see Andre (in the clothes of a Hoodmonger) storm into the Council, with two Slapdashes. Rayman and Murfy chase them. Maybe the Slapdash standing immediately at the start of TFC part 3 is one of the two, because together with Andre and another Slapdash who is fought later on (on top of one of the Mushrooms), this accounts for all the Hoodlums that you saw in the cutscene. This would make sense, except the placement for the first Slapdash was stupid.