Researching the UbiArt Framework

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Would you like to see UbiArt open-source for all?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 7

raideryde
Oiseau Rouge
Tings: 130

Researching the UbiArt Framework

Post by raideryde »

I have pretty much found this engine very VERY interesting, that it came to the fact that I started to research the tools... without the tools. Just from what i have heard.

I'm pretty much gonna infodump here so have fun reading

Announced 2010, along with Rayman Origins. Process of building the engine took 6 months. Michel Ancel promised us the tools for free after a showcase in a game information event (https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdrgzj), and what he showed the crowd was footage of the engine's tools, mostly from it's first version I think. The showcase was one of the animations from the trailer, the cutscene where Betilla summons Ray, and another scene where the silhouette feature was showcased. Also, Ancel said that there would be a 3D update for the engine, which happened in 2013. (Features have been used in Rayman Legends, Child of Light and Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemulets.) Ancel also mentioned that the engine isn't made for games only, but it can be used for game cutscenes and interactive comics. There has also been made a blog website for the engine (https://web.archive.org/web/20130819120 ... k.ubi.com/ ), which only showcases the animations featured and a cool web design. It also hinted that Rayman Origins would have an episodic release, which never did. Website now redirects to official Ubisoft website since 2015 or 2016.

In 2013, after Rayman Legends was released, more footage has been showcased (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoLpPw864eA), mostly showcasing the ground increasing feature in the first stage of Teensies in Trouble, The animation rigging of the Mechanical Dragon boss and lighting feature and how it comes in many colors used in 20,000 lums under the sea. and in GDC 2013, more footage unveiled within a presentation by level designer Chris McEntee, which showcased more of the 3D tools, full HD at 60 FPS, Artist-friendly (not as described by Yves Guillemot LOL), touchscreen support and more. There was also the frieze feature which would be used for level designing (Pipe, Meta, Beizer and Whitebox prototypes). McEntee has also showcased that the engine supports LUA scripting, and the sequence editor thing that would be used for cutscenes, boss fights, and more. It also features GenAnim, which i will talk about in a minute. There is also a digging prototype feature, used in the Fiesta de Los Muertos stages. McEntee also mentioned that there has been flaws from the engine, such as lack of tools, engine communication etc.

Let's talk about another GDC presentation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-8eNkU ... L&index=36 ), where this footage showcases mostly of what's been mentioned in the presentation above, and GenAnim. First of all, Chistophe Villez (Rayman Origins art designer or director idk) showcases how concept art has been chosen and inserted into the game/engine and most of them ended up in the final game. Villez also showed how the game sprites work (seperated parts ordered into one, and rigged within GenAnim) and more concept art. NOW WE CAN TALK ABOUT GENANIM!!!!! (https://youtu.be/p-8eNkUCvnw?t=2423) this clip showcases how the GenAnim animation tool works, and how it can make animating sprites easier. Just like Spine2D (different tool unrelated to UbiArt), you put sprite parts together, rig them and finally animate the sprites into one.

UbiArt also got a few new IP's which were Child of Light (April 2014) and Valiant Hearts: the Great War (June 2014). There has also been a Gravity Falls game for Disney featuring the frieze and 3D features (October 2015), Rayman Jungle Run and Fiesta Run (2012 and 2013), Rayman Adventures (2015) and Rayman Mini (2019).
The engine is also used for Just Dance games 2013 and above, according to the game files. (There is a file format exclusive to UbiArt which is .ipk )

In 2020, in an interview with Yves Guillemot, the CEO of Ubisoft, has been asked a question on why UbiArt is no longer frequently used. Guillemot stated that the tools were difficult to use. He also mentioned that the engine is still in use, but it is no longer predominant as it used to be.

So that's basically all the info I have. Took me about an hour to write this, so thanks for reading lol.

Update 28.09.2022: added tiny info
Last edited by raideryde on Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Re: Researching the UbiArt Framework

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks for gathering all this! There is a strong possibility that the decision not to make the engine open source in the end was a consequence of its flaws and limitations that they did not foresee back when they announced the very opposite.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

I knew all that stuff about it being intuitive and artist-driven sounded too good to be true. I guess what's intuitive for one team makes all the other teams scratch their heads…
dr_st
Eig
Tings: 40813

Post by dr_st »

PluMGMK wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:37 pm I guess what's intuitive for one team makes all the other teams scratch their heads…
Oh boy, did I encounter a fair share of these during my years as a software developer. It gets fun when management decides that everyone in the organization must use the same tool set, and parallel teams with different established processes start arguing over whose tools are better / more intuitive. At some later point the debate slides into office politics and all hell breaks loose. :lol: