Rayman Designer hacking
Rayman Designer hacking is the process of modifying the program files of the game in order to change the appearance and the behaviour of in-game events and sceneries.
Graphics (normal Plattforms)
In every World-Folder of the game there is a .PCX graphic file. It contains all the plattfom tiles which are used by the Mapper. You can cange or add stuff, but look to it that
- the colorpalette the same after editing (or the grahpics ingame will be messed up).
- the first square on the top-left corner is emty (background-transparency color).
- you don't change the "blocks" at the bottom.
- you can't cahnge the image size. If you do, the Mapper woun't open the current world.
Also note that all maps (exept the ones which ubisoft made) will assume the new graphics, if you replace the standart tiles.
In every World-Folder of the game there is a file called EVE.MLT. It contains all the codes of the events of the current world and can be modified any text editor. One has to scroll down to see the codes in question. It is unsure which programming language the game is written in, but the events are coded in this way:
specific event code
Offset_BX, Offset_BY, Offset_HY,
Follow_enabled, follow_sprite, hitpoints,
obj_type , hit_sprite, group,
- œdef = define; this must come first
- eventname = name of the event, could be everything
- DES.FILE = name of the graphic file which should be used for the event
- some number = unsure; it seems to have no effect
- ETA.FILE = name of the ETA file which should be used; it gives the event some behaviours and orders the sprites in some way (it is unsure what it does exactly stand for)
- specific event code = not every event has it; it tells the event which way it should "walk" for example
- 33,255 = unsure; All codes must have this line or the game will crash
- main_X_pos = main x coordinate of the event
- main_Y_pos = main y coordinate of the event
- etat = spriteposition A (of a stored sprite in a .DES file)
- sub_etat = spriteposition B (of a stored sprite in a .DES file)
- Offset_BX = is the x coordinate of the point where rayman could stand on (if the sprite is a "plattform")
- Offset_BY = is the y1 coordinate of the point where rayman could stand on (if the sprite is a "plattform")
- Offset_HY = is the y2 coordinate of the point where rayman could stand on (if the sprite is a "plattform")
- Follow_enabled = if this is =1 than it rayman could stand on the event ("plattform")
- follow_sprite = belongs to the "Follow_enabled". Tells the programm how far from the Offset_BX coordinate rayman can stand (well...it makes a exeact Offset_BX coordinate unnecessary, because you can redirect the coordinate with this number).
- hitpoints = how much "lifes" the event has (enemies). But for a lot of events this number has a different meaning.
- obj_type = this number tells the programm the MAIN behaviours of the sprite like if it is a ting, an enemy or only a background animation.
- hit_sprite = unsure
- group = in which group the event can be found (like group 5 is for enemys etc.)
The Main Code
The main code of an event will repeat itself when it comes to the end. Not all codes work for all events (= behaviours). This is all we know about this part:
- 0, x, -> sprite walks right (x= time in milliseconds max. 254)
- 1, x, -> sprite walks left (x= time in milliseconds max. 254)
- 3, x, -> sprite walks up (x= time in milliseconds max. 254)
- 4, x, -> sprite walks down (x= time in milliseconds max. 254)
- 5, x -> change subetat (sprite pos. b ) to x
- 6, x, -> skip all code lines until line x
- 8, x, -> change etat (sprite pos. a) to x
- 11, x, -> label x
- 12, x, -> goto label x
- 19, x, -> wait x seconds
- 20, x, y,z, -> moving sprite x time (in milliseconds max. 254) and y, z direction & speed
The Extended Rayman Designer Editor
There is an unoffical Tool out there that makes the RD modding very easy. It comes also with a big content package which includes a lot of stuff from R1 & RJ games that weren't availible in RD and also some totally new stuff.
Through some editing of the game, following things are found out:
- There are some names of levels in the game that are not availible. It seems that they have been cut from the final game (or never been finnished): The Gates of the Jungle (jungle word), Diabolical Tunes (music world), The Fire Avalanche (mountain world), Miniature Madness (image world), Cloud of Doom (cave world), Dessert Anyone? (cake world)
- A sprite of Rayman 2 (2D Version) could be found in the sprite files (a small plattform that looks like a teleporter)
- The spritefiles also conatin a lot of stuff from the rayman-junior games (like the worldmap icons) and some never seen before sprites (which are also seeable in R1, through some "tricks").